United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 57m 42s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 44/186
Pre-race routine:

Left Reston Friday AM, stopped in EC to see Slake, p/u Shelly, then off to Providence. Had Shelly and Neva in tow as my weekend jockstrappers. A long day in the car finally got us to Providence. Registered & picked up my packet in about 10 minutes as there was no one there (about 3:30 on Friday afternoon). Realized on the way that I didn't have a skewer for my front wheel, so I went to ask one of the bike techs at the expo if he was selling any. He was in the process of gluing a tire, so I was waiting to ask and as I'm standing there I hear "Getting a tired glued on, huh?" and it was Michellie Jones. Told her that I just needed a skewer, she said "Let's go find Matt (whoever that is)" and so we turned around and suddenly there was Matt, who pointed out to me the Zipp skewers on the rack for $50, which I was not about to buy, at which time the other mechanic walked over and offered to just let me borrow one. I like to think I got special treatment since I am 'friends' with a pro. Ha!

After handling that biznass we headed over to one the properties that my company manages in Cumberland to stay for the night. Dinner at a local tavern with super friendly people. Our waitress was going around the bar telling people about the race I was doing, and as we left there were people in the restaurant yelling "Good luck, Scott!" Super cool. Quick workouts on Saturday morning, then we went back to Providence so that I could drop off my run bag, then down to Naragansett to check-in my bike (accident on I-95 made for a long trip, but luckily I was in the car with two comedians). Once all of that was done we drove back up to Newport where we stayed on Saturday night. Awesome accommodations. Great early dinner downtown, walked around a bit afterward, then I went back to the hotel while Neva and Shelly decided they needed a few more drinks. Decent sleep that night, up at 3:30 AM sunday morning for the short drive down to Roger Wheeler.
Event warmup:

Normal pre-race breakfast, easy set-up in T1 since my bike was already there and it was a clean transition, so everything was just in a bag anyway that had to hang from the handlebars. We found Katie, then Matias, then Nate. Pro swim start was delayed 15 minutes because the wind and chop were preventing them from getting from of the buoys to anchor (a few of them still drifted way off line anyway). Then they announced that they'd offer a duathlon option for anyone not comfortable swimming. Yeah, it was rocking out there. Some tasty waves for sure, and I was ready to get gnarly.

Hugs and kisses and 'good-game-buddy' slaps on the butt and the normal shenanigans. Down onto the beach. An awkward first ever hug with Shelly. Seriously, how long have we known each other?

Oh, and awesome that Shelly had my phone and was posting twitter/facebook updates with pics throughout the morning.
Swim
  • 34m 52s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

If you've ever watched Point Break, the final few minutes when Bodhi is standing on the beach in Australia getting ready to surf the waves of the 'hundred year storm,' and the water is just pummeling the shoreline... that's totally what it was like. (not really, but whatever). I was the fifth wave to start. Running beach start. Hard to get through the chop. Really hard to find a rhythm. Took me probably five minutes to get far enough away from shore where the waves were so much up-and-down that I was able to get into a good rhythm. After that I felt really good.

Got tangled up at the red turn around buoy with people from the waves in front of me. Lots of people breast-stroking and just hanging out. Really chaotic out there. Kind of funny in a way. I heard of people completely swimming in the wrong direction at times because every time they'd try to sight they were staring down the back of a wave and couldn't see.

The water got really shallow approaching the beach, mostly because you'd come down into the trough of a wave and drag your hands, so it turned about to be about a 25-30 yard run, maybe more, out of the knee to waist deep water (and undertow). My right leg got a massive cramp and I couldn't bend it, so I'm practically dragging myself out of the water. Neva and Shelly later told me that they were ready to go hide because they thought I was hurt and wouldn't be able to finish. Saw them on the run out, tried to cheese it up for the camera a bit, then on to the wetsuite strippers.
What would you do differently?:

For some reason I didn't clean my goggles out like I normally do before a swim, so they got foggy during the first 200 meters. I stopped to rinse them out and they were fine after that and I could see very well. Not sure why I didn't do it before the start. Maybe since it was a beach start I was thinking sand and stuff getting in them if I just rinsed them in a wave. I don't know. Whatever. No biggie.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Long run out of the water, then long run to the wetsuit strippers, then a long run to my bike. I ran down the wrong row because I forgot that there was a short rack to the far right side for pros. Was one rack too far but found a place with no bikes where I was able to dip under the rack to cut back over. Once I got the bike it was pretty fast, just a long T2 time because of the distance I had to go.

Nothing. Well, actually, not drop my tums on the way out of T1. Heartburn on run a bit later on.
Bike
  • 2h 36m 27s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Flat, then rollers, then some climbs, then some descent into town and some seriously bad road conditions, railroad track crossings at <45 degrees, and wicked sharp turns. Fun, but insane.

There is a very steep hill right near the end as you go under (I think I-95), and then come out the other side, turn right, and kind of circle around to the bike-in. Saw Shelly and Neva again here. So cool when you have friends out on the course in unexpected places. I still felt really strong and was eager to start the run.

I'd have been under 2:35 flat if not for having to pee twice on the bike, but seriously, how does one not pee?
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

As soon as I saw the Ironman fencing I took my feet out of the shoes. Apparently there are some really dumb people. Shelly saw people going up that hill on top of there shoes. Really? That was a good 1/2 before we finished. Kind of tough to find my spot on the rack, just because everything looks EXACTLY the same, and you aren't allowed to do anything on the rack, ground, or otherwise to designate you spot. Helmet and glasses were off before I got the rack. Dried my feet off and got the socks on quickly, luckily they stayed dry during the overnight rain. Grabbed gels and visor and that was it. Good clean T2, and I put socks on. Happy with it.
Run
  • 1h 42m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Two-lap OAB course. Big hill, some flat but mostly false-flat sections. Very spectator friendly course.

Opted to wear my T6s due to all the foot problems I've been having in trainers over the last six weeks. That probably contributed to how much my legs hurt late in the run, but that was tolerable, whereas if that pain in my right foot had surfaced, I would have had to stop running all together. Felt great out of T2. The first big hill comes about 1/2 mile in. I passed the first mile marker at about 6:45, (which included the big climb) and knew that was too fast. I wasn't pushing, but still tried to make myself scale back a bit. Mile 2 was 13:30. Settled it down a bit and really cut back the third mile, was cruising at a good 7:15-7:20 clip at that point.

Going down that big hill really lit my quads up heading back in to the run turnaround. Saw Neva and Shelly again. Asked them how my race beard looked, heard Shelly say that I looked fast but I knew that I didn't have that pace for another 6.5 miles. Figured I'd hold on as long as I could. You have to go up hill to get to the turn around. It is such a tease because you are practically going through the finish shoot and everyone is cheering but you're only halfway there.

Back down the hill across the bridge, left turn and then saw Shelly and Neva again. Tried to hand off some 'sugar' but it was 'intercepted.' I think maybe Shelly was still intrigued by that awkward hug before the race... Then into the hill. Ran the first 2/3rds, walked a bit, ran again, walked a bit, then ran to reach the top of it. Friggin ridiculous how much it was burning me up. Awesome to have crowds of people lining the hill cheering you on, but my GOd did it hurt. Settled into my own little world of hurt for the next mile or so.

Matias went by and grabbed my butt. Actually it was more like a pinch on my hamstring, but I know he's got a man crush. He looked insanely strong and comfortable. (And to put up a 4:04 on that course, you have to be both insanely strong and comfortable) About 1/2 mile before the turnaround some guy passed me and I decided that would be my pacer. I stuck right on his heels for the next 1.5 - 2 miles, thanked him at one point for saving me (I think he knew it too), but then I lost him at an aid station when he slowed for gatorade and go tangled in the clusterfuck of sponges and paper cups.

At this point I just wanted to break 5 hours, and know that I could. I was back to running in the high 7:30ish range. Nate passed me about 1 mile before we went down that big hill. He was running strong. On the way down the hill I got a massive cramp in my right foot. Took a moment to work it out, and then run somewhat awkwardly down the rest of the way to try and have my foot strike across the road as to not put so much pressure on the arch again. This time I think bombs were going off in my quads. Either that or little tiny midgets with lead basketballs were having a dribbling competition inside my legs. Weird, I know, right?

Down the hill, crossing the first bridge, still knew I'd hit sub-5:00 but it was going to hurt like a motherfcuker that last 1/2 mile. Saw Neva. Wanted to smile but it was going to take way too much energy. Heard Shelly but have no idea where she was. Then saw Neva again, which confused me because I'd just seen her (the idea that she could run along the outside of the course was escaping me at the time). Finally heard my name being announced as I neared the finish. Gnarly day.

I really don't think those first two miles burned me up at all, it's just that I'm so used to shorted distance races where I just blow it out when I come off the bike. I did miss some of my longer mileage because of the foot, but since I'm confident the problem is solved, I'm ready to crush Timberman.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt weird. I needed salt and fluids. And shade. Why was there no shade anywhere! Found Matias and Katie and Nate. Got some food in me. Laid down in the shade. Munched on some mike and ikes. Started to feel better so finally got my shit together and we walked the entire one block up to the Renaissance to get everything into the hotel. That's right, I take care of my J/S'ers. Only the best accomodations on race weekends.

Event comments:

This is only my second HIM, and the first was 3 years ago when, quite honestly, I still had no idea what this whole triathlon thing was about. I mean, I'm STILL learning. I've got a few good ideas heading into Timberman, and even though this was going to be my A race for 2009, that has changed with my crash at Montclair and the foot problems. My wounds have healed and the T6s have solved the foot problem, so now I've got 6 weeks to get ready for the real A race.

Last updated: 2009-04-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:52 | 1931 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/186
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:36:27 | 56 miles | 21.48 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:42:16 | 13.1 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-07-14 9:29 AM

User image

Pro
Reston
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island

2009-07-14 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2283844

User image

Pro
Reston
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island
I didn't proof read this so I'm sure the grammar is awesome.  Please point out all of my mistakes.  That will be great.
2009-07-14 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Great job B!

You had a fantastic race and are looking really strong for Tman.

Glad everyone had such a good trip too.
2009-07-14 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2283848

User image

Elite
Reston VA
3558 - 2009-07-14 10:31 AM

I didn't proof read this so I'm sure the grammar is awesome.  Please point out all of my mistakes.  That will be great.

I am preparing a list and will provide you later This will take some time.
2009-07-14 10:30 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Great race!  Good luck at Timberman!

Give Shelly a hug for me! 
2009-07-14 10:38 AM

Champion
South Jersey

Really great job out there! You're going to do awesome at Timberman. Nice work!

2009-07-14 10:53 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
good.  really really good.
2009-07-14 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Awesome race! Congratulations.

Ernie
Z
2009-07-14 10:42 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member

I found some awfull grammar! Nice awesome race! BITN amd I were reading "your"twits all race long

2009-07-15 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Barrington, NJ

Great job man. 

2009-07-15 12:04 PM

User image

Master

you are a winner .. yay!

2009-07-15 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Great job - can't wait to see how your "A" race goes.
2009-07-15 4:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas

great race. even better report. you're a funny one! my brother updated my facebook for me during cd'a this year and it was awesome to go back and read all the comments everyone posted along the way...very cool idea! great race. good luck at timberman.

2009-07-16 8:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
awesome race. solid all day long.
i don't know how you have a 1:33 T2 with putting on socks. that is unfuckwithable.
2009-07-16 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2289033

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Sub 5, awesome man.  Great job.

Good to hear you didn't fall of your bike this time tooLaughing
2009-07-16 11:39 AM

User image

Master