World Triathlon Corporation
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 13m 11s
Overall Rank = 984/1307
Age Group = Male 30-34
Age Group Rank = 130/154
Pre-race routine:

Bed at 9:30. Asleep at 11:30. Up at 3:00. Nutrition: Balance Bar (200 cal), Bananna (100 cal), Infinit (400 cal), Gu w/caffene (100 cal). Out the door at 4:05 for a 4:50 arrival at T1. Set up the bike and ready to go. Very easy to do this on Sunday morning. There was no need to drop the bike off on Saturday (last year was manditory, this year was optional). Start was delayed by approx 20 minutes while they re-set the bouys due to breeze (12-16 kts SSW...in line with the swim course).
Event warmup:

No warm-up to speak of. Did approx 100 yards of swimming to get the HR up...light stretching.
Swim
  • 34m 44s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was interesting to say the least. The conditions were the worst I have ever seen for an open water swim. I have a fairly strong surfing background so the water was nothing that I have not seen before...racing in them was a different story. There were a lot of people having issues, few holding on to bouys, backstroke, etc...

The goal was to go out easy and relax through the first 200 yards until the chop laid down. No problems and it turned out to be a very manageable swim. 4+ minutes faster than last year. Good deal...
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Equipment worked perfectly. Very happy with the improvement.
Transition 1
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

One minute faster than last year. Put a jersey on over my one piece tri suit. First running mount in a HIM. No problems and was on the way without difficulty.

Forget my modesty jersey and become one with the fact that I am not skinny!
Bike
  • 3h 00m 56s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Great overall ride. Minor bike problems with gear slippage, thought that problem had been solved...LBS fixed the next day. 14 minute PR over last year. Hills are still a major problem and that is because of my weight. Could forsee dropping an extra 20 minutes with significant weight loss (25 lbs or so).

First 20 was very quick and managed to maintain speed for 57 minutes or so. Hills of Rt 102 were done at a relaxed pace as to not blow out the legs...no suicide missons here. Managed to keep high speeds down the hills to minimize the damage going up. Next 20 miles were done at a decent race pace. Hit 47 mph down hill at Big River...nice. Scituate Ave hill was, again, done gently...big help as I was able to power on with no difficulty for the rest of the course.

Riding through Providence was...well...Providence. It definately helps to know the area and I was able to pass a lot of people in the last 6 miles. Hill at Park St. sucked (mile 56). Flying dismount and a run into T2 went perfect. Very happy with the ride. Missed my goal by 56 seconds...oh well.

I could have hit my goal if I worked harder in the hills...at what price? So I really dont think I could have done anything different.
Transition 2
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

No picnics here. In and out...

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 31m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

The goal here was just to keep the wheels on the bus. My weight is still a major factor with heat dispersal so all I wanted to do was keep the HR under control and not blow up like last year. By the time we got off the bike the sun was out and the heat was into the low 80s.

First miles were OK...walked College Hill both times. Otherwise I kept a 10:30 pace in the flats and a 9:30 pace down the hills. Overall pace was dropped by a few walking spells at the aid stations. Stuffing the icey sponges into my visor and on my HR strap (ala Macca) was DEFINATELY the way to go. I also held some ice in my hands. Also helped a lot. I ditched the modesty jersey in a tree at mile 1 and picked it up on the way to the finish line. Funny to see that it was still there! Finished strong and with a smile.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and waited for Dad and wifey to come in...they did and smoked both of their goals by almost an hour each!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight. Still 228 lbs...this does not make a fast long course athlete.

Event comments:

This was my second year doing this race. Very happy with how things went and am thrilled at a 45 minute PR over my 2008 race.

Check in on Friday and taking your bike with you on Sunday is the way to go with this race. Saves you a lot of BS. We will be back next year!

Last updated: 2008-09-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:44 | 2112 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/154
Overall: 765/1307
Performance: Good
No stopwatch for the swim.
Suit: Xterra Full
Course: Rectangle out and back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:03
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:00:56 | 56 miles | 18.57 mile/hr
Overall: 819/1307
Wind: Tailwind
Course: Rolling course from Narragansett to Providence. Flat from 1-20. Hills from 20-28. Flat/rollers 28-45. Big hill at 45. Downhill/rollers 45-55. Hill at 56.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:31:51 | 13.1 miles | 11m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 957/1307
Performance: Average
Course: 2 lap route around Providence.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-14 9:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Warwick, Rhode Island
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island

2009-07-14 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2283960

User image

Wakefield
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island
Awesome job on the race! See you at the next race.
2009-07-14 11:40 AM

User image

Regular
Southern Rhode Island
Way to Go Vin!

It was great to see your dad, wife, and you in the finish chute at the end.  Your wifey beat me by a few seconds overall!

I am glad to see that your whole family finished and better than their goals.
2009-07-16 8:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Warwick, Rhode Island

Thanks gents...see both of you at Crabman!

Vin

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island Rss Feed