Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-07-15 8:04 AM
in reply to: #2284862

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Walking during swim?
Ironically enough, my first triathlon I had to do this.

It was a 400m out and back swim in a lake.  I swam out and walked back.  To this day I remember having people swim by me and I was "power walking" back to shore.  I was glad the lake was shallow.

It was a humble beginning to my 'tri career' to be sure. 

2009-07-15 8:14 AM

User image

About 200M into an OLY swim this year I noticed the water getting very bright and at one point I realized my hand was hitting rock, not seaweed, so I stood up and walked about 10-20 feet. It was interesting and I did it just to do it. Stayed with the group I was with and got back to swimming after about a minute and off we went

I cannot say that I would recommend it as a regular thing and I honestly cannot understand people who are scared of the water and/or cannot swim signing up for tris with open water swimming. That baffles me.
2009-07-15 8:27 AM
in reply to: #2286273

User image

Champion

This is a "problem" at some races - Musselman (NY) and Lakeside (ON) are two examples. There is just a long stretch that encourages more walking than swimming, and many/most people find it easier to stay upright at these points than to try to swim and keep scraping the bottom with their fingers - or wrists - or elbows.

I view this as fine. After all, at the end of a swim we make the decision to stop swimming at some point (knee-high water?) and walk or run, and that's acceptable. So, if the water is similarly shallow at the start, why not walk/run then as well?

What I can't quite picture from the early posts is the scene of people walk in the shallows along the shore -- presumably well away from the two buoys between which the swim started? If this is the case, then I have a problem with what those people are doing. But if everyone starts in the proper spot, and if the water is so shallow that trying to swim in it is ridiculous, then why not walk a bit - just as you would at the end of the swim?

Finally, walking/running the first part of a swim start IS a big energy-drainer, a great way to spike your heart rate to a level that makes the first minute or so of ACTUAL swimming quite taxing.
2009-07-15 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI
I walk, dive, jump, breast-stroke, doggy style my way through my first two triathlon.  First time, I was afraid of water.  Second time, I was in a course with unexpected strong wave.  I will be drown if I don't do so.  I was the last few come out of the water both time.  That said, I did tried to swim.  At least the first 50 feet or so.  (with a large amount of water consumption)

I guess most people who do it in a sprint are beginner.  To me it is a basic survival reaction.  

If that doesn't make you feel better, think about this... One who try to walk the swim and never intend to swim will never able to complete in something bigger with deeper water.
2009-07-15 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2284902

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
mtngirlincali - 2009-07-14 2:46 PM

Is it Vineman where if it's a drought season, you might make more progress walking the Russian River than swimming it in spots? (Only heard about this, haven't seen it)

Yes, Vineman can be so shallow that your hand hits the bottom when swimming.
2009-07-15 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2285989

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
novas - 2009-07-15 12:52 AM

tcovert - 2009-07-14 10:23 PM 
my wife is mentoring someone at her company for the Malibu Tri in early September (a half mile ocean swim) who just revealed that she both has a fear of the water and hasn't even gotten in the pool yet, 8 weeks before the race.  She's going to have a hard time just getting ready to swim 800m in a pool, let alone in the Pacific Ocean with a hundred people from the next wave swimming around and over her.

jeebus!  i just don't understand this.  who in their right mind thinks this is a good idea??  i signed up for the santa barbara long course at the end of august.  i'm a somewhat weak swimmer.  back in april i got my arse in a pool.  i got a wetsuit a couple weeks ago.  i've been in the ocean weekly practicing.  i can do a mile in the pool no problem and i swim 3-4 times a week now.  i'm doing a sprint distance first.   i have a healthy fear of the ocean swim...  you don't sign up for, oh, a fencing match without ever having picked up a weapon, right?  so why sign up for something where you could DROWN without adequately preparing for it?       

I don't know that I'd say they aren't in their right mind...it's that facing a fear is difficult and procrastination is so rampant. They sign up for a tri in the moment of the excitement and with lots of time to spare. When it comes down to facing their fear of swimming, they tend to put it of "until tomorrow" and before you know it, yesterday's tomorrow turns into a week, into a month and then they are at the point of panic just a few weeks out from the race. It's certainly not the way to approach a tri, but it shows that people don't realize just how hard swimming it and think that they can put it off longer since it's the smallest portion of the race. I would say this is probably the reason why we hear about more deaths on the swim portion of the race than any other leg. It's a dangerous sport when participants don't approach it with respect and proper preparation.

2009-07-15 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2285977

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
tcovert - 2009-07-15 1:23 AM
KSH - 2009-07-14 8:10 PM
lisac957 - 2009-07-14 5:36 PM
KSH - 2009-07-14 5:01 PM If you can't swim... you can't do a tri. If you have to walk the swim, you didn't do a tri. Plain and simple.

Playing devil's advocate here...
Would you apply this same theory to the run portion? If you can't RUN the run portion (it is swim/bike/RUN after all), you didn't do a tri?

I've seen plenty of people "float" their way through a swim in what I would not call "swimming" at all. Just like I've seen people walk the entire run portion of a tri.

I'm not advocating walking the swim by any means, but your first statement turned a few wheels in my head.

EDIT: Slake beat me to it. 

What I'm saying is that if you cannot SWIM the entire SWIM portion... and if you weren't able to touch the ground to walk... you would drown... you shouldn't be doing a tri. You need to learn how to swim. If you walk, you won't die. If you coast on your bike, you won't die. People you MUST walk the swim to SURVIVE are a liability to the sport. That's what I'm saying. More deaths in our sport isn't going to do anything for ANY of us. People need to be prepared to SWIM the entire swim portion. Because you can't rely on being about to WALK the swim... and if you can't make it... and you drown.. you die.

Without being quite so alarmist as this struck me as being, I'd agree as far as to say that you can't count on standing up--let alone walking--in alot of (if not most) tri swims.  If you need to rest, it's probably more likely that you're going to have to hang onto a kayak or maybe a buoy.  In my last Oly, the 1.5K swim was mostly straight out to sea and then back in...at the halfway point, you were about 700m out in the ocean with no buoy close by and only a couple kayaks.  Certainly didn't strike me as any place to be for anyone with any doubts about swimming the whole distance.

It is a pet peeve of mine that there are people signing up for triathlons with open water swims who literally aren't prepared to even swim 50 yards in a pool...my wife is mentoring someone at her company for the Malibu Tri in early September (a half mile ocean swim) who just revealed that she both has a fear of the water and hasn't even gotten in the pool yet, 8 weeks before the race.  She's going to have a hard time just getting ready to swim 800m in a pool, let alone in the Pacific Ocean with a hundred people from the next wave swimming around and over her.

What's the current like out there?  Since resting without a kayak in some places will start to take you off course.  Not a fun experience. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Walking during swim? Rss Feed  

of 2