United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 37m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Some water, gatorade and cinnamon roll pop-tarts on the way down to the stadium.
Event warmup:

Not much. By the time I got my packet and used the porta-pottie it was time to head to the start line.
Run
  • 37m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I don't usually do larger races (not much for crowds) but I wanted to do this one since it was a unique opportunity - the first All-Star Charity 5k. And the race will be held in different cities every year, so who knows when I'd get the chance to do it again.

I hadn't slept well the night before (issues with 15 yo daughter) and I think I was a little dehydrated going into this race so wasn't sure what to expect. It was supposed to be a little warm but overcast so I figured the temp wouldn't bother me too much. Unfortunately the sun decided to come out as the race started and it was pretty hot on the course.

They told at the start that there were 8000 people registered for the 5k and fun run so things were pretty crowded. I'm not sure why they asked for an estimated finish time on the registration because there were no corals or pace signs - everyone just lined up wherever they could find room.

It took me probably close to 10 minutes to finally cross the start line and about 1/2 mile or so before I could actually run at a decent pace. Unfortunately, that 1/2 mile was about all I could do at the time. I knew it wasn't going to be a good day at that point, so I decided to just take it easy and enjoy the run/walk through downtown. I ran when I felt like it and walked when I needed to - it's not like I was in any danger of losing out on an AG award, lol! I think the winners had already crossed the finish before I even got to mile 1. I did run it in the last 1/2 mile or so and got my finisher's medal, then tried to find my husband in the sea of people to head back home.

My time is an estimate since I didn't wear my watch and forgot to look at the start time when I finally got across the line. I don't have an official time yet - they haven't been posted, but it should be pretty close.
What would you do differently?:

Hydrate properly and try to get a good night's sleep the day before.
Post race
Warm down:

The 2 mile walk back to where my husband had parked the car.

Event comments:

For a first time race, I thought they did a decent job. The start was delayed a little bit due to all the speeches beforehand but it wasn't too long.

Last updated: 2009-06-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:00 | 03.11 miles | 11m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Starting at Busch Stadium, through the streets of downtown and finishing near America's Center.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-07-14 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: MLB All-Star Charity 5k

2009-07-17 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2285009

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: MLB All-Star Charity 5k
I was wondering how this went.  Sounds like it was a bit crowded but fun!  Good job!
2009-07-18 2:38 PM
in reply to: #2291769

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: MLB All-Star Charity 5k
Wow, big 5k, great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MLB All-Star Charity 5k Rss Feed