Tricalifornia
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 37m 2s
Overall Rank = 1957/2957
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 71/79
Pre-race routine:

The night before the race we camped out at the lake. Sleep was ok on the hard ground but i figured i got enough.
Event warmup:

A 2 miles walk with my equipment to the start. Then a 5min light jog followed by 5 min light swim. Then right before the race another light 2 or three min swim.
Swim
  • 32m 14s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 09s / 100 meters
Comments:

Being my first 1500 meter open water swim I think that overall the swim went well. It started off a little rough as i strated on the inside at tha back of the pack and had to slow my self down to stop from hitting other swimmers until i got to the outside of the pack and got a pace going. I had to stop every so often to get barings which really slowed me down.
What would you do differently?:

I would work on my navigation as i had to stop to sight the bouy which really slowed me down. Also as i had to stop i did it as little as possible and probably added a significant amount to the swim by not following the course. Also I would work on drafting and open water simming as a whole. This was only my second open water swim and it is definatly a change from swimming in the pool where you have the wall to push off of. I would start on the outside and towards the middle of the back.
Transition 1
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

I took my time in the transition as my goal was only to finish and i did not want to go to fast and not beable too. My wetsuit got stuck on my heals and so i had to sit down to get it off. Also whne i got out to mount the bike i could not clip in for the first few seconds.

I need to work on this transition and getting out of my wetsuit. Every time i try to get it off it gets stuck on my heals and i have to stop and sit down to get it off. Also i need to work on the bike mounting. some Practice on jumping on the bike and cliping in would help a lot.
Bike
  • 1h 45m 42s
  • 40 kms
  • 22.71 km/hr
Comments:

This is a very tough course if it is your first time doing an oly tri. It has significan climbs throug out the course. The bigest challenge is lynch rd which is right at the start of the bike and is farly long and very steep.

Work on hill climing so that I can do it faster.
Transition 2
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

I took my time in transition once again so that i could get a rest. my goal was to finish the race so i was in not hurry. When i got to the rack i sat down and put socks and shoes on. Then walked out of the transition area

Try out running with no socks. Finish bike by riding with feet on top of my shoes. Run in and out of the transition area.
Run
  • 1h 13m 15s
  • 10 kms
  • 07m 19s  min/km
Comments:

This was a tough hilly course that really got to me. I had not done very many 6 mile runs and the ones that I had done were all flat. I walk most of the run with a very fast run on the down hill portion to the finish line.

Work on the bike to run transition more so my body is ready for that. Definatly run on more hills and get more 6+ mile runs in before racing.
Post race
Warm down:

I ate some a bunch of the food that they had offered at the finish line and then walked around the finish line. The was followed by some light streching and the 2 + mile walk up steep trails carrying my gear back to camp.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Insignifican traning for the run. Mentality of i am just here to finish so i took my time on some parts. Not enought work on the navigation for the swim.

Event comments:

This is an awesome race and i give it up to the cal poly students that voulenteered this year as they had to work long hours to make up for the students that backed out at the last second. It is a very tough course though which was probably a little above my level but it was an awesome race and i would recomend it to any one.

Last updated: 2004-12-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:14 | 1500 meters | 02m 09s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/79
Overall: 1650/2957
Performance: Good
Suit: full suit
Course: a triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:45:42 | 40 kms | 22.71 km/hr
Overall: 2164/2957
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: An out and back course with significant climbs.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:36
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:13:15 | 10 kms | 07m 19s  min/km
Overall: 2543/2957
Performance: Below average
Course: A 8km climb with a 2km steep down hill roundabout course which was maily one dirt trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-02 9:01 PM

User image

Santa Cruz, CA
Subject: Wildflower

2005-05-03 5:53 PM
in reply to: #151711

User image

Brea, CA
Subject: RE: Wildflower
Good job on the race. That a hard course.

One thing you can do to avoid the wetsuit getting stuck on your heels is to cut off the bottom of the legs a couple of inches. This will put the suit higher on your leg but will make the opening at the bottom bigger. This has made getting out of my suit really easy.
2005-05-03 7:18 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-05-05 12:37 AM

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Congrats on finishing!!!
2005-05-06 12:15 PM

Veteran
san francisco, ca
Nice work! Your T1 is only 1/2 of mine - and my wetsuit seemed to come off just fine
2005-05-09 12:41 PM

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
For the wetsuit, try and you one foot to step on the other, and pull your leg out... Seems to work out ok for me. If I had to sit down, I DON'T THINK I WOULD GET UP! CONGRATS

2005-06-27 6:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
Paso Robles, California

Just wanted to tell you great job on WF.  As a Cal Poly Alum myself, I know the feeling when watching it as a volunteer that makes you want to do the sport. 

I have done WF Oly twice now, one of these times I will get it under 3 hours, but man is it hilly.

Jason

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildflower Rss Feed