Midwest Sports Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 03m
Overall Rank = DNF/
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

So this race is all about looking on the bright side.
Late night had me up to about 12:30 and then I was up at 4. So not much sleep. On the bright side, I got to sleep in my own bed and I did not oversleep.
Event warmup:

Got to the venue a tad early to beat the crowds. On the bright side this allowed me to get in a warm up run. Went about a 1/2 mile and was right behind Terry Labinski. That would be the closest I would get to him all day. After cow towing with the Donks and taking a photo op with Charles Benson, got in about a five minute warm up swim. Unknown to me I had a huge piece of seaweed stuck on my google. On the bright side a very attractive woman in my wave, said "here let me help you with that" and pulled it off my google.
Swim
  • 09m 52s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

Strategy was to stay wide on the course to avoid all the traffic of the crowded course. Course was a bit narrow to first buoy and there was no real way to avoid traffic, lots of stop and go and swimming around people. After first turn, found clear water and tried to push my pace. Stayed in clear until last 100 yard when things really jammed up again. Surprised that this took as long as it did. On the bright side, was out of the water in 9:20, which is about 2:07 pace. Ok for me.
What would you do differently?:

swim faster, I heard that works sometimes for getting out of the water quicker.
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Considering my transition spot was in another time zone, this is actually acceptable. On the bright side my wet suit came off with ease.

As I was running out of transition Charles Benson was coming in, I yelled "Go get 'em Charles!" That took some effort and I think it might have hurt my time down the line.
Bike
  • 16m 17s
  • 4.98 miles
  • 18.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Well before this race, I had my bike in for a full tune up and had my back tire (had been damaged) replaced. I was ready to go! Started out feeling strong and passing and weaving around lots of folks. About 2 miles in I began hearing a ka-thuk, ka-thunk kind of sound. I thought to myself, wow that sounds just like when I had blow-out in my tire in May. Nah, the bike Gods would not be that cruel to... 'POP' Back tire blows out. Get off to assess the situation, then Charles Benson goes past me. Coincidence?? (yes I believe so) Get tire off, old tube out and new tube in, in 3 minutes. That is lightning fast for me. Then came my first experience with the Co2 cartridges. That did not go well...at all. Finally course sweeper came and offered me a ride back. DNF!! My Day was done. On the brightside, I didn't crash, got new tube in in 3 minutes and can always have the illusion that I WOULD have had a good ride, but for this flat.

Practice working with Co2 cartridges, so I could have gotten it right when it mattered.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Walked my bike in to T2. Still had my chip on and said, what the hell.

Ride my bike in the front door.
Run
  • 24m 25s
  • 3.16 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Well after only 5 miles on the bike, legs were very fresh. However this is a tough course. I just decided to pour it on. I was passing people like crazy. I kind of felt bad and wanted to say to them, "I would be slower if I had actually done the bike course." On the bright side this was a course PR for me by over a minute ( although doesn't really count)

biked 15.5 miles before this. As far as run itself, went better than I could have hoped for.
Post race
Warm down:

Found the Donkey crowd, ate, drank and was merry.

Event comments:

Dispite, the crowds, race was run well this year, although it sure would be nice to have some bike support on course for idiots who can't properly change a tire. After a deeply disappointing race at High Cliff, I have decided to just enjoy the rest of the season, no matter what. I sure got to test that theory for this race.

Last updated: 2009-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:52 | 440 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: out across back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:16:17 | 04.98 miles | 18.35 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:25 | 03.16 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Garmin had this (and has had it in years past) at 3.16
Course: up some hills and then down some hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-15 10:54 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: Pewaukee Triathlon

2009-07-16 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2288507

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Pewaukee Triathlon

Nice job Jim..way to go back out on the run!! I suck when it come to dealing with flats and cartridges too!!

2009-07-17 6:40 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Now that is an event warmup to be proud about! 

Sucks-age on the tire.  I think Charles did it, that sneaky bastage.

2009-07-18 10:04 PM

NE Wisconsin
Thanks for posting your real-world experience.
Anne
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pewaukee Triathlon Rss Feed