Setup, Inc
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 7s
Overall Rank = 18/71
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Florence night before and got packet. Had waffle house for dinner. Went to bed around 9:30.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 12m 26s
  • 766 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a very good swim for me. Navigation was right on- I kept looking for feet to draft off of, but there was only one girl around me (the rest were way ahead) and she was right at my side until the back straight away when I dropped her. Ran into the back of 2 men's waves.

Thought I was the first female swimmer to finish because I didn't see any other women around me at all. Couldn't understand why the announcer didn't say anything about it. Later looking at results I see that the 9th girl out of the swim was just a few seconds shy of being a full minute faster. That's why I didn't see anyone. D'OH!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I couldn't have kept up with the faster girls enough to have drafted.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Long run to transition, easily .1 of a mile. Couldn't get my helmet on over my pony tail.

Be more coordinated.
Bike
  • 48m 49s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 19.09 mile/hr
Comments:

I really had the #1 bike split. When I finished, the dismount sign was on the left side of a line of flags. I followed it and dismounted and then everyone started yelling at me I needed to be on the other side of the flags. So I picked my bike up and and to climb over the flag line. Probably lost about :10 here. Since I was only :01 off the #1 bike split, it's safe to say I was actually the fastest on the course.

Dismount on the right side!
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Good transition

nothing
Run
  • 30m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Finally a race where no one ran me down. I was wondering where I was in the placement... out on the ride no one in my age group passed me. In fact, only a few women passed me on the bike(later found out that the 3 that passed me went 1,2,3 in the overall women's finish). But I digress to the run. Since it was 3 loops it was hard to tell who was on what loop. But on my first loop, the only ones that passed me were some really fast 40 somethings that went on to win the overall race, and a couple of 20 and early 30 somethings. I thought I might have placed but wasn't sure if there were any that were way ahead of me.

Run on trails more often in training.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run.

Event comments:

This was the first triathlon that my mom has ever come to to watch me race. And this was my first age group win. I am normally just out of the placements, so this was a total and utter surprise for me, and it just ticked the shit out of me. My dad grew up not far from the race site, so I felt his presence the whole race. And to win in front of my mom, well, that was just icing on the cake.

I will say that it's way more fun to race when you win something, and it makes the drive home soooo much easier!

My coach told me when I started with her that she would make me competitive. I didn't believe her. Now, I'm under no delusions that I'm gonna start placing in all my races, but now I know that I am competitive. It all depends on who shows up on race day anyway, but it sure does feel good to walk away with an award.

Last updated: 2009-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:26 | 766 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 10/71
Performance: Good
Suit: 2 piece tri suit
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:54
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:49 | 15.53 miles | 19.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 21/71
Wind: None
Course: P shaped, flat, with .75-1 mile first and last mile on dirt road (sand road) that was kind of squirrely in places. Fishtailed a couple of times. Could only safely hold about 15-16 mph on this road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:07 | 03.11 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 30/71
Performance: Average
Course: 3 loops around the lake. All on grass and sand, and the sand in places was soft like at the beach. This made the run kind of hard. I'm not used to running on any surface except pavement. Also the water at the water stop was brown. I couldn't drink it.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-16 2:59 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Subject: Tri the Pee Dee Triathlon

2009-07-16 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2290002

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Subject: RE: Tri the Pee Dee Triathlon
Congrats on winning your age group.

That dirt road was fun wasn't it ... not so bad except for the sand at the transition area.

For whatever reason, I found the run difficult too. Not sure if it was the heat (even though it wasn't that hot) or the course.

Glad you ejoyed it.
2009-07-16 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2290002

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Subject: RE: Tri the Pee Dee Triathlon
Thanks. It was fun- primarily because it's so different from all the other races I've done. Never have had one that was flat!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Pee Dee Triathlon Rss Feed