Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-05-03 10:33 PM
in reply to: #152283

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: I have an idea... re: challenges..

Being completely voluntary, even to the point of donations AFTER "losing" being voluntary and on the honor system, I would find it hard for anyone to construe this as "gambling." I do see your point on legitimacy of the charities, but that could be easily managed by limiting them to the well-known national organizations.

Regardless, it's Ron's playground and we have to abide by his rules or go home. What say ye, Ron? I'd like to start a May bike challenge tomorrow soon, and this is a very good way to structure it, IMHO...

2005-05-03 10:51 PM
in reply to: #152225

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
the bear - 2005-05-03 5:42 PM

What do you mean " But I would like to share the wealth for everyone trying to earn money.. or at least make a plea for the high riders to help do so.."?

So the top riders don't vote for the same charity month after month.. each month a different charity

I think we should pick one charity for it all to go to, either by vote (I suggested 1 vote per every mile ridden) or by designation (Kim's diabetes ride),

Right.. my intentions all along were for it all to go to one. however we choose which one is fine with me.. I'm not sure what you mean by "by designation". Wouldn't each vote go towards such a designation? (i.e. I'd like to use my 200 votes to vote for kims diabetes ride)

Also, my suggestion was the $2 be the minimum "bet" as you put it, with no fee "to join the challenge"

Thats works for me if thats what most want.

Don't think we need a program, I can track this with a simple spreadsheet.

Thanks

In response to Ovetta's post..

It seems like we may be trying to make this way more official that I'd intended. What the initial thought was, was to simply make an individual commitment to donate. The only part of BT that will be used is the logs to collect the miles. All of the rest will be done on an individual's computer.

No money goes anywhere but between the individuals in the challenge and the charities. Just a good faith comitment from the individuals to go to the website and make that donation or pledge. I'm not sure that it could be called betting because none of us stand to benefit monitarily from it.

The danger that your post does bring to mind is individuals using this as a target to make money.

I'd love to hear what Ron has to say. If he is in anyway hesitant about this then I'm all for backing off and doing it on BTs terms.

Also, If this becomes too much work and/or trouble for Ron and crew added to the hard work and time that is already invested, we can certialy back off or even drop it all together.

Thanks for everything!

Will

2005-05-04 1:00 AM
in reply to: #152092

User image

Master
Chicago

Will,

Don't give up! Ron and I will deal with the "formalization," if there is any. But if you guys want to do it "among friends," why not. I just wanted to make it more formal because I'd like to raise the profile of members here who are doing this sport for charity as a service of the website. (I just have a soft spot for people who give). The challenge is the community getting involved and organized way of participation. You guys can do the challenge and Ron and I will talk about doing something formal for all members if it's necessary. Ovetta.

2005-05-04 10:58 AM
in reply to: #152353

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
infosteward - 2005-05-04 12:00 AM

Will,

Don't give up! Ron and I will deal with the "formalization," if there is any. But if you guys want to do it "among friends," why not. I just wanted to make it more formal because I'd like to raise the profile of members here who are doing this sport for charity as a service of the website. (I just have a soft spot for people who give). The challenge is the community getting involved and organized way of participation. You guys can do the challenge and Ron and I will talk about doing something formal for all members if it's necessary. Ovetta.

Oh.. don't worry about me giving up.. thats not the plan..

I would just really really hate to make it uncomfortable in any way to the BT staff who works so hard at this site. I wanted to make sure that you all knew that I wasn't gonna push any issues that any of you were hesitant about.

So are we free to challenge ourselves to donate money if we don't meet our goal and use BT's logs to collect the miles?

Thanks for your help!!

Will

2005-05-04 11:07 AM
in reply to: #152470

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Will,

I'm investigating the question Polly had about processing fees, we certainly don't want each of our $5 donations to get hit with a $3 fee, but if that checks out I'm going to incorporate your idea into the May bike challenge, since O has given us the green light to do this "among friends."

2005-05-04 11:21 AM
in reply to: #152481

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
the bear - 2005-05-04 10:07 AM

Will,

I'm investigating the question Polly had about processing fees, we certainly don't want each of our $5 donations to get hit with a $3 fee, but if that checks out I'm going to incorporate your idea into the May bike challenge, since O has given us the green light to do this "among friends."

Super.. thanks for your help and work with this.

Let me know how I might be able to help!!

Will

2005-05-04 1:12 PM
in reply to: #152092

User image

Master
Chicago

B.T. may be able to help if there is an issue with "processing fee." We certainly don't want some local charity eating all their donations through processing fees because 50 different people donated $3. This is where "formalizing," with B.T. can help. Thanks for checking it out Bear and let me know if "formalizing," can help ease the processing fee burden. O.

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » I have an idea... re: challenges.. Rss Feed  

of 2