Musselman Triathlon
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 27m 36s
Overall Rank = 80/666
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/39
Pre-race routine:

I checked out the race course the evening before. Moving the swim and subsequently the transition area makes this a different race than previous years. A better race overall.

I pulled everything together the night before. I drove to the race with Jackajck.

I woke before the 5AM alarm. I never sleep well the night before a race. I ate breakfast and poured myself a big mug of coffee. Jackjack was right on time at 5:30. We loaded the car and drove to Geneva. First to get Jackjack's race numbers and then to the race site. We actually got there before the TA opened.

We got body marked and chipped. Then to TA where everyone had an assigned spot. That was kind of nice and especially since they arranged the TA area where no location had an advantage.

After parking our stuff in TA, Jackjack and I walked the swim course (on the shore). We then walked all the way up to the area where the bikes go onto 20&5. This was all good as there are some weird spots.
Event warmup:

After the walk, we went back to TA. We got things better arranged as the grass was drier with dew evaporating. I then got out my iPod and went for a warmup run. Listened to Led Zeppelin's Bring It On Home. I love the guitar riffs in that song. Some of my best races have been with that running through my mind. It did again today.

The TA closed at 8:40. My swim wave didnt start til 9:20. So I walked around in my wetsuit and waited for my wave to start. Finally, it did.

On the way out to the deep water start, I swam out a bit into Seneca Lake. I'm kinda glad the race wasnt there, as it was rather choppy. The canal area was much more tame.
Swim
  • 12m 16s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had a decent to good swim. The deep water start was different. I was in the 5th wave, so there were a lot of people on the course ahead of me.

Me and about 100 of my closest friends treaded water waiting for the horn to sound. I started towards the right, but not on the end. It was surprisingly spaced out at the start. I have to say that I was happy to have my wetsuit on for this swim. It definitely helped with treading water for a couple minutes or so before the start.

The horn went off and we started off. I wanted to find a good draft, but the guy I started out following tired quickly. So I just did my own thing. I did catch myself drifting right once before we hit the first buoy. But being in a canal, it was hard to get too far off course.

Once I cleared the first couple hundred yards, I was by myself. But once I got to the buoy, I caught up to the wave in front of me. I had to negotiate other swimmers the rest of the way.

The canal had a fair amount of weeds in it. I often caught some in my hands. Once I got some on my head. But it was fine. I'm kind of used to weeds and the like from my time in Virginia. The river there is not all that unlike today's race course.

At about the first buoy, I found myself laboring. I just focused on trying to settle down and just stroke. I was able to do that. Relax. Breathe. Good. Now swim and pass more people.

I did pass a lot of people from the waves in front of me. I was able to keep a good pace and keep at a good effort and intensity level. I have to say, though, that I was kind of glad to be done with the swim.

The boat launch ending was curious. It was really deep, then all of a sudden the water was knee deep. I got up at that point and started running.

On the run to TA, I was able to get my wetsuit top off well. Goggles and cap off easily too.
What would you do differently?:

I felt like I might have more efficient on the water. It was a good swim. But I feel like I could have done a bit better. My watch had me with about 12 minutes even in the water. Thats about a 1:30/100 yard pace I think. Thats about the pace I swim mid-length distances in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

T1 was fairly efficient. I had the 69th fastest T1 time. Once at my spot, I sat down and pulled off my wetsuit well. I dried off my feet with a hand towel. Socks then bike shoes on cleanly. Stand up. Sunglasses and Bike helmet on fine. Grab bike and run to the exit. I got held up a touch by some slower bike runners.

Nothing. Very clean transition
Bike
  • 46m 10s
  • 16.1 miles
  • 20.92 mile/hr
Comments:

I set a PR bike pace by about 1mph on this course. So it was a very good ride for me.

I also used my new wheels in a race the first time here. I have little doubt that they helped. I'd guess about 0.5 mph was gained from them. The other 0.5MPH was from a relatively easy bike course and the most riding that I've done before so far this year.

Once out of transition, we had to go on narrow, cone-lined road. It was single file and I was behind a couple of women who were going slower than I wanted. We went across the tarps and onto 5&20. Finally, I could get going. And I was quickly going about 22mph.

I passed people pretty much constantly on the bike. It was most prevalent in the first few miles, but the entire ride I had people I went past. I only got passed by about 5, one of whom was Curt Eggers.

Onto 96A. It was a long uphill. But the wind was behind us. I was going about 26mph here. It did get a bit steeper in parts, so I occasionally slowed down. But I don't believe I went under 18 mph on 96A.

The road did bend to the right some and brought the wind to more of a cross. It was very gusty, and there were a couple of occasions where I got out of aero and to the drops for safety.

We turned onto Yale Farm Road and went towards the lake. Dead into the wind. This road was the primary downhill, but the wind kept speeds in check. I was able to stay in aero for much of this stretch.

Down to East Lake Road. The wind was cross, so I spent about half my time during this stretch in drops instead of aero. About halfway down this road, I could feel some fatigue setting in. Because it was generally unchanging slope, you spend a lot of time in the same position. I was getting tired of being in that position.

I wasnt going to slow down though. And we turned back onto 96A for the long downhill back to the Park. We also picked up the cones again. So it was much more narrow, only enough for 2 across. Passing required communication and some patience. We made our way down to 5&20 and then the short jog back to the tarp and park.

Once in the park, I actually passed a couple more people. Made good time back to transition. Hopped off the bike and ran to my spot.

Not much. I set a PR by about 1mph on average.

One thing that I purposely tried today was not bringing gatorade or other nutrition on my ride. I only took a couple sips of water the entire ride. I'm still debating with myself whether this impacted my run or not. The coming run was surprisingly tough. Was that because I was a touch dehydrated and short of carbs?
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I finished 99th overall in T1. I thought I was fairly efficient with the shoe swap. I did have touch of trouble racking the bike, but nothing major. Helmet and glasses off ok. Visor on ok. Grabbed the race belt and put it on running to the exit.

Not much.
Run
  • 26m 30s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I did not like my run. I felt slow and was laboring much of it. My hamstrings were really grabbing me coming off the bike. They did ease up some by the time I passed the splash pad.

There were times on the out leg when I wanted to stop and walk. But I told myself I wasnt going to do that. You WILL keep running.

Just before I hit the water station, I saw Jackjack coming back on the return leg. She looked like she was working hard and not having the best of time.

Out towards the end of the out part was the BT water station. It was GREAT seeing so many smiling, cheering, friendly faces. I did take a sip of water from Marmadaddy. I was busy with that and then felt a whole cup of water land on my chest. "WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT?" I thought to myself. Oh, someone is dousing people. That felt good.

I sipped a bit more, then got a bit of revenge and splashed Rstocks in the legs. It was funny to see him jump.

I worked my way around the loop and came back through the water station. I saw that it was Kam who got me on the out leg. This time through, I got 4 or 5 cups in the chest. Ok, target practice on Rob! :) It actually felt good as I was pretty warm by that time. But my top and front of my pants were soaked.

I did my best to pick up my pace on the rest of the run. Having the wind at my back helped some. But I didnt have any gas on this run. It was a struggle the whole time. I never felt strong or in control on it.

I got passed by a couple of people in my age group in the last half mile. That sucked, but c'est la vie. I pushed hard to the end and crossed the finish line as best I could.

My effort was high here. What I need to figure out is if not taking calories during the race and only a few sips of water made an impact on this run.

I was hoping for something closer to 8:00 pace. I was a bit disappointed to only do an 8:17.

In looking at the results, I had the SLOWEST run of the top 100 finishers and 2nd slowest of the top 125. Its pretty clear where I need to improve to get a better final standing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk off a bit and try to catch my breath. Once settled, drink a lot of water and shovel in calories. then get together with friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Last weekend, I had a "Boys weekend" and ate and drank way too much. For training at least. It did have an impact today. But overall, I'm very pleased with this race. I set a PR bike pace. Had a solid swim and not terrible run. So I can't complain too much.

A good, solid race.

Event comments:

This is a very good race. Very well attended. Very well organized.

Last updated: 2009-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:16 | 820 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/39
Overall: 56/666
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: In the canal just off Seneca Lake. Exit via a boat launch. Run maybe 50 yards or so to the TA area.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:10 | 16.1 miles | 20.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/39
Overall: 59/666
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: WIthin the park for the first half mile. TIght, narrow cones keep people single file. Go over some tarp-covered grass to get to highway 5&20. Turn onto 96A. Go about 7 miles, turn towards the lake. Come back along Lake Road to 96A. Mostly downhill until going across the tarps. It is not a hilly course overall, but has a lot of long uphill and downhill stretches. Nothing severe. It was very windy today. It was generally quartering behind us on 96A. It was in our face going downhill to the lake. Crosswind on East Lake Road. And mostly in our face coming back on 96A and 5&20.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:30 | 03.2 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/39
Overall: 272/666
Performance: Below average
Course: Very flat course along the top of the lake. An out and back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-18 6:24 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon

2009-07-18 6:40 PM
in reply to: #2293714

User image

Master
syracuse
Subject: RE: mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon
great race....!  we had an excellent day!!

what an event...
2009-07-18 7:59 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Great race!

2009-07-19 9:03 AM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Coming off a PR bike split, maybe the heavy legs are something natural?

Way to go! Very solid race.
2009-07-19 9:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Great RR Rob!!  The swim sounds interesting in the canal like that.  You looked strong on the run.  I bet you needed to take in more water on the bike.  I find that, for me, after 45 minutes of hard effort I need some nutrition so I usually take a gel and water.  That definitely helps me. 
Anyway, you had an awesome race!  It's amazing how far you've come considering all of the injuries you've had over the years!
2009-07-19 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Congratulations on a great race.  Hmm so you reckon 0.5mph  for the new wheels and my average was 20.6 and yours 21.  Guess I need to get new wheels if I'm going to keep up with you!

2009-07-20 9:04 AM

User image

Expert

Awesome race, and congrats on the bike PR!

2009-07-20 2:43 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Ut oh Rob!  Jackie is getting new wheels to regain the advantage!

Great race, it looked like you were enjoying yourself when you came through the aid station!!!  Awesome bike split!!!

2009-07-20 4:22 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Looke dto me like you are probaly still drying out even today.  Great Race!  Sweet bike leg.
2009-07-20 7:52 PM

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York
great race report! good job on setting the bike PR!!
2009-07-21 9:14 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Nice job out there!

2009-07-23 6:51 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

You did suprise me with the water! I wish I got a shot of you getting douced!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed