70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 30m 18s
Overall Rank = 202/678
Age Group = F 35 - 40
Age Group Rank = 7/62
Pre-race routine:

Well here we go again!
Today I ran the 5th race in the Grand Prix series. Like the others, this race had the potential to keep me at 3rd or drop me. So I was a bit anxious.

Training:
I have ran this course several times in training. I ran it a few weeks ago in 32 minutes AFTER running 8 miles. So I expected my time to be around 30 minutes. My goal was 30 or under.

The Morning of:
I have to figure out something other than PB&J to eat on race morning. I have learned that my nerves are killing my stomach....so eating anything just makes me feel sick. So I normally do not get the nutrition I need to race. So if anyone has some suggestions for a good prerace drink...let me know.
So I got up at 0500, prayed, read my Bible, and tried to eat. I could only get 1/4th of the PB&J down. My sweet hubby and best scream teamer came with me today. So we loaded up the car and at 0637 we were off. We also brought our JRT with us. She loves the races....she could beat everyone.
Event warmup:

Hung out with JRT, Hubby, and Debbie (a buddy)
Run
  • 30m 18s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

MILE 1 - I started at the front. That means I really did not have to fight to pass people, but it seemed that EVERYONE passed me. The 1st mile, and I am not lying, was totally uphill. However, it was over b/4 I knew it. I thought I had started out slower, but as I passed the 1st clock it said 7:26. Opps!
Mile 2 was almost all down hill. As we were running DOWN East Blvd, I thought, this should be easier. Then I passed the mile marker and saw my time. Mile 2 was in 7:24. This means I hit mile 2 at 14:50.
Mile 3 was totally up hill again. I thought I was pushing but apparently I wasn't. I finished mile 3 in 7:51 (I am at 22:42 for a total time.) I briefly thought that I wished this was a 5k...I would only have .11 to go. STOP THAT! Pain is fear leaving the body....I'm afraid!
Mile 4 was mostly down so I started booking it. Then I started gagging....OH NO! I started feeling that PB&J coming back to visit....so I slowed down a bit. Several girls passed me but I knew it was better to slow than to have to stop to puke. I rounded the corner and saw the finish.
Matt took a picture of me as I was getting ready to cross the finish line. I saw him out of the corner of my eye, but had to keep my eye on the finish. This mile, even with the slowing as not to barf, was 7:35.

What would you do differently?:

Run mile 3 faster....I think I could have.
Hydrated better the days and moments b/4 the race.
I don't know if I will ever be satisfied.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with Matt. Took pictures. Went and ran 3 more miles.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I regret not pushing harder on the 2nd mile. I think I could have broken 30 minutes. But that will be for another day. I am faster now. My last 4 miler I ran with a 7:50 pace....so that's cool. However, not fast enough to place in my AG!

Event comments:

There was only 1 drink station...not that I stopped, and it was only 4 miles. So what can I really expect.

Last updated: 2009-06-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:18 | 04 miles | 07m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/62
Overall: 0/678
Performance: Average
Course: What can I say? It was hilly. I personally don't think it was as bad as the 1st 4 miler of the series, but My friend Debbie does not agree. I also think the weather was good...I mean for July. It could have been bad. But anywho...
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-18 8:39 PM

User image

Charlotte, NC
Subject: Run 4 Your Life 4 Miler

2009-07-20 9:51 PM
in reply to: #2293849

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Run 4 Your Life 4 Miler
Nice race report, sounds like a fun race. Thing about eating, especially with such a short race, I would be tempted to have a snack in the middle of the night, give you plenty of time to digest. Banana's are good. Or maybe just half a sandwhich. Really you don't need much breakfast for such a short run. Maybe just a power bar or something.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run 4 Your Life 4 Miler Rss Feed