To benefit the Boys and Girls Clubs of Magic Valley
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 8s
Overall Rank = 10/69
Age Group = 45-54
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Long, hot drive to Twin Falls (2 hrs). Get registered, set up T1/T2, do some run surges and try to stretch the calf and back. Nibbled on Odawalla bar while watching Oly start. Over 30 min. wait from start of Oly to Sprint start-man did it get hot in that wetsuit.
Event warmup:

Got in water and went HARD for sewveral seconds to get really winded; then sloshed around to catch breath. The water temp was perfect, flat, calm and clean. I was feeling pretty good knowing I only had 1/2 mile to go.
Swim
  • 19m 51s
  • 800 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

OMG! A swimmin gbreakthrough. I had NO panick/anxiety attacks at all. No back breathing. I actually felt like I was RACING other swimmers.
What would you do differently?:

I hadn't worked out at all last week, so conditioning became an issue. I've always just tried to survivie the swim, but today I RACED. I need to practice my swim RACING. btw; racing is WAY cooler than simply surviving.
Transition 1
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Mount area was in the grass and just past that was a hilly/rocky pavement section. I chose to run a little past all that to some clean pavement. Had harder time getting into pedals than I like.

I think it's time to change cleats
Bike
  • 54m 49s
  • 19 miles
  • 20.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't know if it was heat, harder than usual swim or just being old and tired, but I had a hard time getting in to the bike leg. My legs had no pop at all. Working at the bike shop all week on my feet really sapped the strength out of them;.

As usual-Train More
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Here I got a bit pissed. I arrived at T2 by myself, there was no Mount/Dismount area clearly marked, so i got off the bike and kinda looked around for directions. Some younger gal, part of the race organization looked at me, LAUGHED, and kinda threw her head/shoulder in the direction I was suppossed to go. She then proceeded to make an offhanded comment to a friend , like, 'Duh" followed by that cutsie little blonde girl laugh.

Turn around and beat the blond girl...no....I mean pay more attention to race details.
Run
  • 49m 53s
  • 5.2 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

HOT weather really brings out the lack of fitness. I carried one gel pack, but dropped it while I was climbing over a bunch of boulders (no kidding), instaed of getting it back-i thought I'll pick some up along the way. Uh-uH. Aid stations had NOTHING but tepid water.

Carry a gel back-fetch it when i lose it.
Post race
Warm down:

jogged from finish right back to lake and jumped in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, sore calf (which didn't get worse, but remended me to not go fast)

Event comments:

Hot, Hot, Hot. I love/hate that when i go out of town i can sometimes place in my AG. I almost feel guilty.

Last updated: 2009-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:51 | 800 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/69
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca S1 full
Course: Triangle shaped loop with a mandatory underwater/under dock swim 50 yrds from finish. Everyone had to climb out of lake using the same algie covered ladder
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:54:49 | 19 miles | 20.80 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Square course, mostly in the open country. Strong hills and headwind going out out. Tailwind a flater/smoother coming home.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:53 | 05.2 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Jesus. Cross Country, Exterra and sauna all rolled into one. HOT, HOT HOT
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-19 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: Twin Falls Triathlon

2009-07-20 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2294120

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: RE: Twin Falls Triathlon
Great job Jeff, and a great RR!
2009-07-22 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2294120

Expert
Subject: RE: Twin Falls Triathlon

Holy sheeeite you are getting fast. Awesome bike dude. Eh every race I do there is some funked up volunteer sitch, like last one we were pointed down the wrong road. Actually the first people on the course get messed up the worst because they often are out there before the volunteers are. That'll teach them for being so fast ;-) Did the 1st place in your AG come out of the water faster than you? Just wondering. I hate fast swimmers. I mean I like to laugh at the swimmers on the run because they run like swimmers BWAHHAHAHAHA. I am evil I know. Anyway good job, man! smoochies! B 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Twin Falls Triathlon Rss Feed