General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit or not Not Wetsuit that is the ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-19 12:05 PM

Subject: Wetsuit or not Not Wetsuit that is the ?
I'm going to be doing my first tri (sprint) in a week.  I don't own a wetsuit, and I think they are permitted for the race I'll be doing.  Should I rent one?  Additionally, I don't have a race belt.  If I don't buy one ($10) and not use a wetsuit, will I have to pin the number onto my top after the swim?  I assume the number may come off if pinned on during the swim.  Also, where do athletes typically pin their number?

Thanks!

Mike

2009-07-19 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2294362

User image

Master
PA
Subject: RE: Wetsuit or not Not Wetsuit that is the ?
don't worry about the wetsuit unless you need it for the flotation aspect.  as far as the race number, a race belt is a handy thing to have.  i'd buy one, but if you won't get it in time, pin it to your shirt.  i wouldn't swim with it.
2009-07-19 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2294362

User image

Veteran
Kalamazoo, MI
Subject: RE: Wetsuit or not Not Wetsuit that is the ?
I'd recommend buying a race belt.  The time you'll save in transition is well worth the low cost of the belt.  My personal favorite is the Fuel Belt race belt because it has a nice bungee attachment that's easier for me than the buttons. 

It seems like most people say use a wetsuit if it's allowed.  If you don't own one already then it's a bit more up in the air.  It it were me, and if I didn't own a wetsuit, I probably wouldn't bother renting one for a sprint but anything longer I'd want one.  If you do decide to rent one, be sure you can get in at least one practice swim before race day.  The first time swimming in a wetsuit is an interesting experience.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit or not Not Wetsuit that is the ? Rss Feed