General Discussion Race Reports! » Evergreen Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Evergreen Lake International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hudson, Illinois
United States
Tri-Mom Events, LLC
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 29m 44s
Overall Rank = 151/431
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/36
Pre-race routine:

Up early. Shake out run. Sipping on Gatorade. Drive to race.
Event warmup:

The usual...ran to warm up. Set up. Down to swim area and in the water. Take in Espresso GU 5 minutes prior. Watch the elites. I was in the third wave.
Swim
  • 29m 56s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m / 100 meters
Comments:

Really bad start. Too much swimming on top of the water to find place. Bad thoughts, lost in churn, aching shoulders, sucking water. After about 300 meters finally talked myself out of my head and talked myself into performing...head down, flick hips, full strokes. Found rhythm by not sighting as much until I got past half way. My navigation was good so I had that working for me. Hey and I totally urped after the last buoy. What was that?
What would you do differently?:

Work on my start. My finish is good. I have to get over the start. I really expected better out of my swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Getting better. Slight issue with wet suit but getting better.
What would you do differently?:

Work on that start.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 54s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Saw a few accidents. Glad I listened to one of the locals prior to the race. Said he had ridden the course earlier in the week and said we should be ok if we follow the tracks. Any deviation and it was a little slippery out there (loose rocks). Knee pain (developed right prior to the race - nice) get me in the saddle as opposed to standing and attaching some of the hillier sections. More pain standing than sitting. Left a lot of time in the middle of the course. Had a great last 8 miles though. To hell with the pain and hammered it home. Oh and is there a penalty for drafting the referee's motorbike? Dude got b'tween me and my next pass around mile 20 and then held me up. Didn't quite know what to do.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Really good. Timed the dismount perfectly - I think they were ready to hand me a penalty. Never stopped and had someone actually comment. That felt cool.
Run
  • 44m 26s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Not a bad run but not my best. There's always second guessing. Usually I can run sub 7s off the bike but I was feeling pretty close to the edge. The entire time. So do you press and risk blowing up or do you ride the edge.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk/jog - lots of water. Did the worm and the funky chicken and led the spectators in the electric slide.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Should have stayed off my Blackberry. But I just couldn't help it. Had to update my status facebook and I just love that twitter - shout out to all my "tweeps" in the cyber-hood.

Event comments:

I assume there was a strong field given that it was the Mideast AG qualifier for Nationals. I'm not sure if I did well or not. Thought I left about 6 or 7 minutes out there.

Last updated: 2009-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:56 | 1500 meters | 01m / 100meters
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 0/431
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Sonar - Sleeveless
Course: Counter clock wise diamond. Started just off a boat launch. Made it like walking on an ice rink getting out of the water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:27
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:12:54 | 24.85 miles | 20.45 mile/hr
Wind: Headwind
Course: Country side. Some very narrow farm roads - some recently tarred and stoned.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:26 | 06.21 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Course: Kinda out and back. Wide open country roads. Totally exposed to wind and sun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-19 12:37 PM

User image

Regular
Oak Park, Il
Subject: Evergreen Lake International Triathlon

2009-07-19 9:29 PM
in reply to: #2294386

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Evergreen Lake International Triathlon

Seriously ... I'm cracking up about updating your FB status.  Sorry you weren't feeling tip top but ... you had a good race regardless.  Nice job with the boot straps.

2009-07-21 12:39 AM

User image

Regular
Good job: keep up the good work and I hope to meet more of us BT'ers in the future.
2009-07-23 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Nice race.  Hope that knee feels better, and when you figure out the answer to "but I was feeling pretty close to the edge. The entire time. So do you press and risk blowing up or do you ride the edge"  let me know....
2009-07-26 4:21 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Nice job on the race!

I was equally as impressed with your ability to lead the crowd in the funky chicken and the electric slide as I was your ability to update FB out there.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Evergreen Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed