Subaru Triathlon Series
22C / 72F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 29m 12s
Overall Rank = 437/463
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 25/27
Pre-race routine:

Totally running late with waking daughter being the biggest challenge. Got her dressed while still half asleep. Stopped off at Tim Hortons for breaky (bagel w/ PB) and got to the race with 25 minutes to spare. Just before the race I drank a Boost.
Event warmup:

Waded in the water while waiting for my wave... water was actually warmer than the air temperature.
Swim
  • 27m 9s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

My swim was brutal. I didn't try my wetsuit on beforehand and didn't take the time to put it on comfortably - it felt incredibly tight. I took off at the horn and the neck felt like it was choking me. The knees were bunched uncomfortably. I rolled onto my back and kicked while trying to stretch out the neck but it was no good. Resumed front crawl. The water had no visibility and everyone passed me. I couldn't get into a good rhythm. Contemplated undoing the wetsuit a bit but wasn't sure of the outcome of that. In the end I did the backstroke for almost the whole course but didn't sight enough and wasted time and energy zig-zagging back and forth. When I rounded the first buoy I got half way across and started feeling people swimming around me. Noticed I was in the middle of the path for the next wave which had caught up to me. Just kept a straight course doing front crawl until I rounded second buoy. Then rolled onto my back and back stroked to the finish - again going off track a couple of times. It felt like the longest 1000m of my life but given all the wasted zig-zagging I'll bet it was even longer than 1K.
What would you do differently?:

Try wetsuit on before event!! Still not sure I even had the right size. Need to sight more often.
Transition 1
  • 04m 31s
Comments:

Removing wetsuit was like moving in slow motion and as usual it got stuck on my ankles. Had to sit down to get cycling shoes on. Couldn't get my gel open, guzzled some water and then ran with bike. Took too long.

Maybe skip wearing a wetsuit altogether!
Bike
  • 1h 09m 51s
  • 30 kms
  • 25.77 km/hr
Comments:

Felt good on first half of course. Rode the big gear but didn't really pass anyone. Was passed by a number of older riders which I find amazing and hope that when I'm 60 - I'm whizzing by people in their 30s. About 18km into it I started to fade. I didn't bring anything on the bike to give me a boost. Headwind started to slow me down. Then this woman came up alongside and we were chatting about the wind change - I told her I was fading - and she handed me half her Powerbar! Such kindness. I devoured it, took some water and started to feel better. Last stretch it started to drizzle but I felt great and got my speed up to 33km and sped past a number of riders. Passed the generous woman and thanked her. Closer to the end of the race she rode alongside and said "Well I kept one for myself too!" and then continued on ahead of me. I smiled "You go for it!" and followed her to the dismount. Bike course was beautiful - country fields.

Pay more attention to fueling my body. I think I would have been a lot slower had it not been for the snack.
Transition 2
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Decided to hunt through bag for some sport beans...

Not pack snacks away.
Run
  • 45m 20s
  • 7 kms
  • 06m 29s  min/km
Comments:

Legs felt like bricks for quite a while - at least 2km into it. Felt good for last 2km. Felt okay with pace. 10:25/mile. Normally I'm an 11 minute girl so...

Have to confess I hated the run course. So boring, path was an old trail that was broken down and grown over. Little room to pass and you just saw all the people that were ahead of you running in the other direction. Sort of boring and made the run feel longer.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Packed stuff and joined my family. Skipped the food and awards. Soaked in hot tub back at the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wetsuit and poor nutrition

Event comments:

This was a good race for me in that it was my first sprint distance race and I hadn't really done the race bike distance in training more than two or three times let alone all three together. I definitely know where to improve and as hubby pointed out - a month and a half ago I was flat on my back with a tube sticking out of my chest so aside from swim performance I'm feeling pretty good about it. :)

Hubby took funny pics - me running out of the lake with eyes closed - I was *that* tired! Then laugh or cry as I cross the finish line...?

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:09 | 1000 meters | 02m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 21/27
Overall: 421/463
Performance: Bad
Suit: Nineteen Sleeveless
Course: Rectangular course - swim out - across - and back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 21C / 70F Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:31
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:09:51 | 30 kms | 25.77 km/hr
Age Group: 21/27
Overall: 422/463
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Course was out and back. The out was mostly downhill with a tailwind. The return was mostly uphill with headwind.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:23
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:45:20 | 07 kms | 06m 29s  min/km
Age Group: 24/27
Overall: 427/463
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on a trail
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-19 5:06 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: Belwood Sprint Triathlon

2009-07-19 6:34 PM
in reply to: #2294664

New user

Subject: RE: Belwood Sprint Triathlon
Nicely done Kimmax.  I think I was one of the people you passed on the bike (I had a slightly faster swim time but slower bike and overall time, so you had to have passed me).  I agree with the run - it would also have been rather hot had we actually had sun today!

Congratulations on your race!
2009-07-20 6:43 AM

Master
Kitchener
Congratulations on your race!    You did a great job persevering through the swim and your time was even better than the first time I swam 1km two years ago.        I agree with your comments on the run course.   I really detest it.   I just kept looking about 4 feet in front of me to avoid seeing that long line of runners.   

Sorry I didn't get to meet you.   It was a bit hectic before the race and we were freezing afterwards.   All the 'all stars' showed up in my age group, so knew there was no reason to stick around.    

Don't give up on the wetsuit. 
2009-07-20 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Way to go! Your first sprint and you did well - especially considering your accident and the fact that you've recovered so well to come back and do this!

Hope you're rewarding yourself for a great job working up to this and for getting out there!
2009-07-20 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Nice race yourself Marcia. If I passed you ont he bike it probably wasn't zooming by . Don't worry too much about the wet suit at this pint. Just remember that when you put it on you want to pull it up nice and tight around the crotch and shoulders.

I must have just missed you coming across the line. I remember the old guy coming across. Maybe we'll run into one another at another race.

Edited by Redknight 2009-07-20 1:15 PM
2009-07-21 8:53 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-07-23 8:29 AM

Regular
Thank you so much for your kind comments on my Belwood race report, kimmax! I really appreciate your words of encouragement too. This was my first tri but it will definitely not be my last...

Great job in your race too! This was your first sprint distance? My hat off to you then...like latestarter said in her comment, you persevered despite a rough swim and finished. Keep up the great work.

Kristin (RunGirlRun)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Belwood Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed