Ultramax
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 51m 17s
Overall Rank = 150/434
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 18/44
Pre-race routine:

Woke up @ 4:45. Took about 1/2 hour to load the car, make final checks, and get on the road. Ate a PB&J sandwich on the drive, an apple, and had a cup of coffee. Had 3 scoops of Cytomax Pre-Race formula 90 minutes before start. Drank a vitamin water while waiting after getting setup.
Event warmup:

Jogged for a few minutes, then put on my wetsuit and swam a few minutes in the lake.
Swim
  • 18m 41s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Went out too fast, despite focusing on NOT going out too fast. My overall time was much faster than I would have planned, and much faster than I would have anticipated. Felt pretty tired about half-way through, slowed down and regrouped, then found a nice rhythm and finished strong. Water was calm, time trial start meant no huge crowds anywhere on the course.
What would you do differently?:

better pacing, probably could have gone faster if I had started slower, instead of having to slow half-way through then picking it up again.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

spent a few extra seconds in transition sucking down a gel and grabbing a quick drink, talked quickly with friend who was in transition doing first tri. Put shoes on first, then left. Still better than my first tri.

need to learn to start with shoes on pedals already, and put them on once I'm up to speed.
Bike
  • 56m 39s
  • 19.5 miles
  • 20.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good, maybe could have pushed it a little harder at times, but was hoping to have something left for the run. Avg HR was pretty high for cycling, never had it that high. Guessing I pushed pretty good, and the excitement of the race surely contributed. Had alot of fun, got passed by a few really good cyclists, and a few people early who were pushing hard that I later passed when they were tanked. Cadence sensor got bumped while loading/unloading bike, so didn't have that info.

check cadence sensor before race to make sure it's ready. Change gears based on cadence & feel instead of just feel. Work on cornering.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

better T2 than T1. Got my feet out of my shoes 1/4 mile from dismount, but had to slow a bit too much to do it. Didn't get off the bike as quickly as I had hoped, and took a couple of extra seconds to rack bike and get organized.

just practice more, getting better, but not smooth and organized enough yet.
Run
  • 32m 41s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

While I'm getting faster, I'm just not fast enough yet. Legs were rubbery, but pace was okay for me early. Course was short, I only had 3.81 miles, which I think is about right, that works out to an 8:34 pace, which is more inline with what I felt like I was running. My avg cadence was 84 all the way, which means I had decent turnover even when my legs felt rubbery at the start.

more bricks, more running. Not that I didn't run enough in training, I just need to get faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, banana, orange, vitamin water, & small sandwich. Walked around with a couple of friends, helped the legs to keep moving for awhile.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

215lbs on the run, need to get under 200, and just keep working on running economy & leg

Event comments:

First time event, well organized and well run for the most part. Ran out of bottled water early post-race, which I don't think should happen right away. Run course was short of the 4-mile advertised distance.

Last updated: 2009-07-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:41 | 1094 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/44
Overall: 0/434
Performance: Good
Suit: RockScience Sports Elite
Course: Time trial start by race number. Person released every 5 seconds, had to go about 20 feet down dock then jump in (no diving).
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:56:39 | 19.5 miles | 20.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/44
Avg HR - 160 Max HR - 167
Wind: Little
Course: Flat & fast. Few tight turns getting out of New Town, but once on the road it was a fast course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:41 | 04 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/44
Lap Time Distance Pace/Speed AHR MHR 1 08m 40s 1.00 miles 08m 40s /mile 159 163 2 08m 40s 1.00 miles 08m 40s /mile 159 162 3 08m 39s 1.00 miles 08m 39s /mile 160 163 4 06m 34s 0.81 miles 08m 09s /mile 162 171
Course: Flat 2-loop course through streets of New Town.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-19 5:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
Subject: Big Shark New Twon Traithlon

2009-07-19 7:34 PM
in reply to: #2294708

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Big Shark New Twon Traithlon
Wait a second...hold it right there...were you next to me in transition? I'm the girl who "lost" her goggles and swim cap for a second and then of course found them underneath my bag. I recognized your cadence sensor comment. Well anyway, even if you weren't my transition neighbor, great race and good write-up!!
2009-07-19 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2294847

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
Subject: RE: Big Shark New Twon Traithlon
that was me, small world 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Shark New Twon Traithlon Rss Feed