United States
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 23s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Gel about 45 minutes before the start, some water and sunscreen.
Event warmup:

Short warmup at a moderate to quick pace. Didn't really matter as the race started late and stood at the start line for over 20 minutes.
Run
  • 23m 23s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Having run longer distances over the past few months I underestimated this race and the exhaustion brought on by the obstacles. I was completely under hydrated for the race.
What would you do differently?:

I would have hydrated better, and trained on a military obstacle course.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down was the walk to get to the water!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I went out too fast and was under hydrated, not to mention my speed work has been lacking over the months.

Event comments:

For the money I put out on this 5K I was pretty disappointed. The race time was pushed back significantly, having 1500 people standing at a start for over 20 minutes in the baking sun is not a good idea. The water station at the finish line was a good 75-100 meters from the finish line which I found to be completely unacceptable given the heat on the course and the time of day. I understand they were trying to put it in the shade, but throw up an awning and call it good! I found no post race food/snacks, which for a regular $20 5K wouldn't be a big deal, but for double that I expect a little more than water and powerade. Overall all the concept of the race was very fun and I enjoyed the challenge, I wouldn't mind doing it again in the future I will just plan differently.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-07-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:23 | 03.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Mass start of 1500 people, approximately 13 obstacles of varying degrees of difficulty, to include mud and water obstacles. Not sure what these obstacles did to my pace.
Course: The course was a winding course with a combination, of pavement, grass, mud, sand and water. Approximately 13 obstacles which required crawling, wading through water, jumping, etc.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes