General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mountain Man Triathlon - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Flagstaff, Arizona
United States
Mountain Man Events
91F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 35m 25s
Overall Rank = 116/135
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Got enough sleep, had a light breakfast, forced the contacts in and took off to Lake Mary. Was running late because not only is there lots of construction on Lk Mary Rd, which I had planned for, but there was a minivan going 40 mph on the open stretches. That left me only 20 minutes or so to set up transition, get into the wetsuit, and walk over to the swim start. In retrospect that was plenty and eliminated the nervous time-killing I usually do before a race.
Event warmup:

Went for a little swim. Water was much warmer than last year but I'm glad I wore the wetsuit.
Swim
  • 43m 28s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went very well. As usual I stayed a bit to the side so I wouldn't get kicked. Right after we rounded the first buoys I found someone to draft off who was swimming a very steady pace, in a straight line, and navigated well. He was a bit slower than I would have gone by myself but I figured I needed to save as much energy as possible. A couple of minutes faster on the swim would not make a difference overall for me. That worked well. I felt good coming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I wish the swim were longer and the run shorter...
Transition 1
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

Not exactly hurried but steady. Didn't waste any time.

Nothing, went as planned.
Bike
  • 3h 30m 45s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.94 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike also went as planned. I kept it very comfortable on the first loop, made sure I emptied my first bottle of Infinit. Then on the second loop I ate a Clif Bar and had a bottle of plain water from the aid station to sooth my stomach that was starting to cramp. That worked for now. I didn't get passed by too many women on the ride. Felt good as I came into T2. Ah, and I learned to pee on the bike. :) The bike computer never worked because something must have shifted the sensor while we were on the swim. It didn't record.

Nothing, also went as planned.
Transition 2
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Went as planned. Nothing speedy but steady. Walked out of the area to get my HR down, relax my back a bit, and tried to feel my toes again.

Nothing.
Run
  • 3h 15m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I had planned to walk for a few minutes out of T2 to avoid the stitches I usually get at that point. I also didn't have much sensation in my toes. (I do need better bike shoes...) So walking was nothing unplanned at this point. But I didn't expect the stomach cramps that started immediately. And they didn't get better with walking but worse by the minute. Every breath hurt in my ribcage. I know the pain all too well, have dealt with it my whole life, was diagnosed with an ulcer 15 years ago. I walked all the way up the hill and past the turnaround, thinking about not making it, getting more frustrated by the minute.

Then I started crying and all of a sudden the cramps went away. That must have released the tension. By the time I got to the bottom of the hill, now running, I had to pee. Went into the portapottie--and threw up. Yikes. It's rarely ever that bad. But anyway, felt better after that and shuffled along. Run/walk was the plan and I stuck to it, except that I walked more than I had anticipated. After the turnaround the balls of my feet started to hurt. Oh, and it was pretty dang hot too, 91 degrees.

I don't know. The stomach is my limiter. Well, maybe some more training would have been good too. I only got about 1/2 the volume in this spring than I should have had.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. The finish/transition area was already pretty empty. Chatted with a friend who had come to cheer and take some pictures and packed my stuff. Thunderclouds were gathering all around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training volume, stomach problem, bike shoes.

Event comments:

The Mountain Man course is beautiful, except for the traffic on Lake Mary Rd. I'm used to running in the quiet woods. The trucks and RVs drove me nuts.

Last updated: 2009-03-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:28 | 2112 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 0/135
Performance: Good
Suit: long sleeve
Course: around two buoys
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:16
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:30:45 | 56 miles | 15.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Up the steps and twice around Mormon Lake. Bumpy surface right before the turn-around.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:15:36 | 13.1 miles | 14m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/3
Performance: Bad
Course: Going north on Lake Mary Rd, up the hill to Marshall Lake, and into town to the mailboxes.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-19 10:00 PM

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Subject: Mountain Man Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

2009-07-20 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2295076

User image

Elite
the desert
Subject: RE: Mountain Man Triathlon - Half Iron Distance
It was great seeing you out on the course...it helped me get through. Sorry I couldn't stay to see you finish (I had to get my kids out of there). We honked as we drove by.

You did a great job out there - it was a tough course and the elements were against us (Wind/sun). When you add your stomach and feet issues, it makes your time and your finish look even better.

Great job!
2009-07-20 11:01 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Way to hang tough, kiddo. I'm sunburned too. And congrats on peeing on the bike!
2009-07-20 12:16 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Nice Job Astrid. After all was said and done you did get 3rd in your AG.
2009-07-20 5:12 PM

User image

Master
Well look at YOU Ms. Half-IronLady!!  It was awesome getting to see the film of you riding! You really did an excellent job out there with all the heat and wind Astrid!! 

I'm sorry you had so much difficulty getting through the run with your ulcer.  There's really nothing you could do about that, but you gutted it out and got it done!

VERY proud of you!!!
2009-07-20 8:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Flagstaff, AZ

Awesome Race Astrid!

You rocked the swim.  Your pace was even better than it looks on the log.  It was clearly way long, the south buoy was visibly much further up lake than last year.

You muscled through some tough stomach issues and some brutal heat, but had a smile on your face every time I saw you 

astrid

2009-07-21 10:54 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Congrats Astrid! You did great! And from the photos and video- you looked great too!

2009-07-21 11:38 AM

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az

Great job out there on the course.  You look great when I saw you..  Congrates

2009-07-21 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Great job, Astrid - congratulations.  You overcame some tough physical conditions and still managed to finish - I am super impressed with your toughness!

2009-07-21 7:19 PM

User image

Expert
Tempe
Silver member
Awesome job, Ingrid! Way to stick with it even after some nasty stomach issues! Great job on the swim and the bike!
2009-07-30 4:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Amazing job out there!  Congratulations on the finish.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed