General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre-Race Jitters Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-03 11:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Global
Subject: Pre-Race Jitters
I am very excited and nervous about my Tri in 2 weeks but I do have some question for the veterans out there.

I was going to do the race on a MTB but last week the LBS had a deal I couldn't refuse and I bought a road bike. Do I have enough time to get adjusted to a road bike? (picture coming soon)

2nd, my pool closed on Sun...so i will be out of the water the next 2 weeks unless I find a new pool. Since, i am in a taper phase will it hurt not to swim for a week and a half or should I scramble to find a pool?

3rd, Any suggestion on tri shirts for guys who are "in the process of losing their guts"?
I bought 2 desoto zip tri...they are skin tight and I am not sure if I got the right size or not. When zippered up it feels like it choking me. Plus, the gut is in full effect..haha...any suggestions?

Finally, any 1st Tri tips, advice, eating suggestions, workouts, stress relief method etc etc... that any of you would like to give... I would be more than happy to listen. Feel free to check out the Training log for a better understanding.

Thank You all for the support since Jan. I won't let you down. I will finish!! Even if I am last but I will HAVE A Great TIME doing it!!!

2005-05-03 11:53 PM
in reply to: #152343

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Pre-Race Jitters
I will leave your questions to more qualified people - my first tri is in a couple of weeks, however, I think your attitude is great, having fun is my first priority also. I'm sure you'll do great. Congrats on the new bike.
2005-05-04 10:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Global
Thanks crazy legs....I am feeling great and I really anxious to put my training to good use.

I appreciate the support. Good luck with your upcoming race
2005-05-04 10:19 AM

Champion
Don't worry about being a bit nervous, it happens even after you've done a dozen races. The minute the race starts, the jitters will suddenly disappear. You'll have a rush of adrenalin in your first race, and the temptation will be to go out way too hard. Keep telling yourself to "go easy" at the start. Pace yourself in the swim, so that you feel like you are doing a relaxed training swim. That way you won't arrive at the bike or run transitions feeling like the dog's leftover dinner! The key to enjoying your first event is pacing, pacing, and more pacing.

If you feel too conspicuous in a tight jersey, wear something that is a little baggier, and put it on after exiting the water. There will be plenty of people wearing plain 'ol t-shirts...nothing wrong with that.

As far as the bike...just get some miles in before the race, so you are happy with the positon, the shifters, and you can be assured that everything is working fine. The #1 rule for triathlons is "NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!" Get the bugs worked out first and you'll be fine.

Be sure and tell us how it went...post a race report afterwards!
2005-05-04 10:20 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

1) Yes, you should be able to become acquainted with your new bike in two weeks.  Worry about the cornering and shifting more than anything else.  You might not sustain 20+ mph, but you WILL be faster than on your MTB.

2) It shouldn't work against you too much that your pool is closed, but you will lose some of that 'muscle-memory' effect.  I'd try to find another pool for at least 1 or 2 swims.

3) Your tri clothes should be snug, but not overly tight.  The gut effect, eh, lay off the Guinness?  I'm 6'2", 204 right now, and I fall between Desoto's Large and X-Large sizes.  The xl 'feels' better, so I stick with that now.  I wouldn't worry about it though - everyone else out there is worried about the finish, not the fashion...

2005-05-04 11:44 AM

Chelsea, MI
I agree with the muscle-memory loss of staying out of the pool for 2 weeks. I admit that I feel pretty good after a 2 or 3 day break from swimming, but much more than that and I slow down a lot because I lose my feel for the water. Of course, if it's a short swim, it won't make much difference, maybe a minute or two, so you might not worry about it.

Good luck!

2005-05-04 12:03 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
I would add a caveat to the swim advice -- if you're used to training in a pool and your first tri is in open water, your muscle memory might not be your biggest limiter.

I didn't swim in a pool for a couple of weeks before my tri and it didn't hurt me at all...but, I did get out and swim in the ocean just to remember what it was like. If I hadn't done that, it might not have gone so well. So if your race is OW, try to find some to swim in first. If not, ignore this post.

I didn't even try to eliminate pre-race jitters. I DID have a pre-race Guinness (followed by a ton of water), the night before, and it helped a lot. Enjoy your race: you'll do well and have a blast.
2005-05-04 2:50 PM

New user
I think everyone is trying to find a cure for pre-race jitters. My advice is to go to bed an hour earlier before the race to get the restlessness outta you. GOOD LUCK!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre-Race Jitters Rss Feed