Headfirst Performance
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 50m 44s
Overall Rank = 108/188
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/35
Pre-race routine:

Jeremy and I drove in Friday night, dropped our stuff at my aunt and uncle’s house and then met up with amymengel, tnickerson, Jungle Jenn and a few of their spouses for dinner.
After dinner we went back to my aunt’s house and hit the sack. We were up at 5am and out the door at about 5:35. We had a bit of trouble finding the race site. We ended up driving around the run course for a while. Eventually we found our way, got our packets and headed down to transition. We saw Amy, Tammy, Jenn and Amy’s friend Mike in transition and chatted for a bit. We also saw Max Longree, last year’s IMKY winner. He raced as well.

Event warmup:

I got in the water and swam a bit before the start. After that we had to stand around and listen to the RD talk for about 10-12 minutes. He explained the S/B/R courses and said there would be a volunteer and/or police officer at each turn on the bike. More on that later.
Swim
  • 39m 33s
  • 2431 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

We went off in three waves. I was in the first wave of all men, 39 and under. It was a deep water start. The first 300-400 yards were tight. There was lots of kicking and hitting other racers. Jeremy lost his Polar watch. It got kicked off his wrist. It’s sitting at the bottom of the Ohio River somewhere right now.
Once I got out of the start melee I settled down and tried to keep an even, steady pace. I didn’t want to get my HR up too high, or I was going to be in for a very long day. I popped out of the water at 39 minutes exactly and ran up to T1.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

I'm actually surprised that this transition was only 2:45. I didn’t take my sweet time here, but didn’t rush either. I had a lot of crap to put on. My HR monitor strap, the Garmin, socks, helmet, shoes, gloves. The transition area was in high grass and I had a lot of grass sticking to my feet. I sat down and made sure to wipe it all off before putting on my socks. I talked to a few people and double checked I had everything, then-off to bike.

Nothing. I'm planning on a 10 minute transition for L'ville, so this one was just fine.
Bike
  • 2h 57m 42s
  • 56.47 miles
  • 19.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out with a group, we kept passing each other back and forth. A few miles into the ride we started hitting the hills. I got a nice complement from another rider. We’d have a stretch of flats and he’d pass me, then I’d pass him on the hills. While going up one hill he said I climbed really well for a big guy. I told him thanks and that I’d been doing 80-100 miles of hill work each weekend.
The RD had told us that there would be a police officer or volunteer at each turn. Well, he missed two of those turns. They were busy intersections that really needed a cop there directing traffic. I slowed way down on one of them and had to let a car pass. Jeremy and Amy said they had to come to a complete stop, unclip and put their foot down. WTF? The second turn was a few miles later. We had a stop sign and the cross traffic had the right of way. Again, no cop. There was no traffic here for me, luckily. I yelled out to the bikers behind me that it was clear.
Overall I felt good on the bike. My climbing is noticeably improved. Those long weekend hill sessions are paying off. My eating and drinking were good. I ate my "triathlete trail mix" I invented a few weeks ago. That's broken up cliff bar with pretzels, sports beans and e-tabs. Yum. I also finally figured out I could pee on the bike. I've peed off the side before with no problem but this was my first time going while clipped in. I made sure I had plenty of water to clean up afterwards.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

This was a really good T2.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 09m 48s
  • 12.38 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran the first few miles with no issues. Then my bowels started telling me that it was time to empty them. I ran the whole course and THERE WERE NO FREAKIN’ PORTA-POTTIES ANYWHERE. How do you not have johns on a run course? I’ll spare you all most of the details but let me just say I went off in the woods, pulled my cheeks apart and handled my business. The aid stations were placed at the right intervals, I thought. After about mile 8 I’d run between them. That’d be my break. I saw Amy and Jeremy several times. Jeremy had a really nice run. He made up almost 20 minutes on me of the 30 that I’d built up over the bike.
The last few miles I ran/walked with a guy named Mike. We helped each other get through those last few. The last ¾ mile was over tall grass. I didn’t know we’d be off- roading it.
After I crossed the finish line Amy caught me. She took off my chip strap for me and pointed me in the direction of some water to drink. There were no volunteers helping out the finishers and no food at the finish. There were a couple 5 gallon jugs of water that you could help yourself to.
I waited with Amy for Jeremy to cross. When he did I took his strap for him and gave him some water. He headed straight down to the river and jumped in. He told me there was no water at the last 2 aid stations. Jeremy does not do well with no water during exercise.

Nothing, this was a pretty good performance. I'm upset that the distance was incorrect.
Post race
Warm down:

Once Jeremy cooled down we headed up to the clubhouse to get some food. We said goodbye to Amy (who took 3rd in her AG! Way to go Amy!) and hit the road. On the way out we decided to drive the run course and look for Tammy and Jenn. We couldn't find Jenn but spotted Tammy. Jeremy and I jumped out of the van and gave her a hug each. She looked strong and seemed excited that she was going to finish soon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

This race was good and bad. I'll never do another race with this company again. I paid $100 to do this thing. I didn't get $100 in race support. The volunteers who were on the course were great, but not having police support at those intersections is inexcusable. And not having volunteers in the finishing chute, the mis-measured run course and the running out of water at the aid stations, well, that’s also inexcusable.
That’s all I have to say about the race company.

I had hoped the weather would be a little hotter to get me ready for L’ville. It was mild that day and it helped me set a PR, so I’m happy about that, but I had hoped for some more strenuous training.
I set a PR by 40:24, and I beat Jeremy, and that’s always a good thing. It was fun hanging out with Jenn, Amy, Tammy and their spouses. Overall, it was a good race with a bad race company.

Last updated: 2009-02-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:33 | 2431 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/35
Overall: 0/188
Performance: Good
Suit: 1 piece zoot
Course: Rectangular out and back
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:45
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:57:42 | 56.47 miles | 19.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/35
Wind: Some
Course: The course was a little long, about 1/2 a mile.
Road:   Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:09:48 | 12.38 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/35
Course: They shorted the course by about 7/10ths of a mile. I'm not happy about that. The course was an out, then three loops, then a back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2009-07-20 8:00 AM

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: Cardinal Harbour Triathlon

2009-07-20 8:06 AM
in reply to: #2295417

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Cardinal Harbour Triathlon

Great race, David!!!  I agree the race organization was very poor.  You re ready for the ironman!

2009-07-20 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Nice job!
Way to go!
You had an awesome time, and you have really come so far!
2009-07-20 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
crapping in the woods and peeing yourself? I expected that sort of report to come out of a bachelor party weekend with alot of alcohol involved. That sounded like a complete crap race aside for the fact you smoked your previous best. Good job on the putting in the hours that are needed to complete a 140.6. This race result should stand as evidence you are doing the right thing. Except I will be extra careful shaking your hand at any race in the future.
2009-07-20 9:33 AM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Nice race David!  Again was great to meet you.  See ya in FIVE more weeks!
2009-07-20 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice job, sorry it was not strenuous enough for you!!!LOL, it was perfect for my first. Good luck at IM Louisville.

2009-07-20 12:09 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Awesome PR!!!!  No volunteers, no porto-potties, no water, and no one to stop traffic.....and then tall grass, WTF!?  Way to hang in there and crush the course!  Maybe we will get a mild day for weather next month....wishful thinkiing, right?
2009-07-20 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Congrats on the PR David!  Great job out there!  You really have made some great progress!  You're going to ROCK next month!  I loved hanging out with you and Jeremy!
2009-07-20 5:54 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Great Race!  See ya next month.
2009-07-21 7:45 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY

Congrats on a big PR.  I didn't realize there weren't any port-a-potties on the run course.  Sorry you had to find out the hard way!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cardinal Harbour Triathlon Rss Feed