Dave Johnson Enterprises
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 59s
Overall Rank = 113/250
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/26
Pre-race routine:

Wake up, walk the dog, toss the gear/bike in/on the car, grab a PBJ and some tea. Pick up the GF and off we go!
Event warmup:

Par for the (my) course, no real warm-up unless you count walking around talking to people and standing in line for the bathroom. I met TheCube
Swim
  • 10m 20s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

Slow swim, especially for me. I was in cruise mode since I swam exactly THREE times in between today and my last race in late May. It was crowded, lots of bumping. I wasn't going to push it and risk blowing my top WAY too early.
What would you do differently?:

Actual swim training would help greatly. ;-) I'm usually a good bit under 2:00/100 on race day. Heck, I'm under that on slowish training days...
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

This includes the ~100 yds run from the water to transition. Wiped the feet, helmet on, shoes on, and off we go.

Get my tri shoes set up and use them in a real race.
Bike
  • 36m 15s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.86 mile/hr
Comments:

I REALLY wanted a 20 mph bike split today. I missed it by 0.2 mph. I spun up one hill so I wouldn't blow my top, and that cost me the 0.2 mph. Oh well. On the way back in, I was pushing 25-30 mph with no help/draft, playing yo-yo with a couple people on tri bikes. I really like out-cornering them too. ;-)

Again, 90% of the people who passed me were aero. That kept me from my goal split too. I'm lazy in not getting my tri bike up and running, silly life all getting in the way.

GET YOUR AERO SETUP FINISHED!!!

Aside from hat, nothing. This was a strong ride. I hit this one just right.
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Time is sort of an estimate, I forgot to hit the Lap button about 1:00 into transition.

Use my tri shoes and get some elastic laces. That's where most of my time is wasted in T2.
Run
  • 29m 30s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't think I was running this fast, because I thought it was a straight-up 5k, not 3.4 (I always forget that). SO my pace was considerably faster than I originally thought during the run. I was about 9:20 to Mile One and feeling okay. I tried picking up the pace a little.

My quads started to cramp up a little at the end of Mile Two, so I stopped to stretch for a sec. Did this a couple other times for a total of abotu 30 secs. I was right on pace with a younger guy, so we were yo-yo-ing back and forth for a good mile or so.

Once I saw the park/finish across the lake, I picked up my pace a bit more. The finish is uphill, so that mamkes it even tougher. Once I got on the home stretch, I saw my friend Marc (he finished 7th overall) and I knew I had my final sprint coming up as he always yells at me to finish as hard as I can.

Sure enough, he catches sight of me about 200 yards from the finish, and off we go. I speed up and finish in a FULL SPRINT, catching and passing two people in the last 100 yards, the second two steps from the line.

Good start, average middle, strong finish to my run.

Train more, that's about it. I did well to get my run times back down around 8:00-8:20 in the couple weekd before the race. More time running = faster Kotter
Post race
Warm down:

Water, banana, gatorade, water, chat up some people, get a kiss from the gf.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of traning time. That's it.

Event comments:

It's official, I got out of Back-Of-Back today in both AG and overall. STOKED. In only my 2nd season racing. It only gets better from here, right?

This race is fun. It's medium-key. Well-organized but laid-back. Good atmosphere, very fun. And no thunderstorm this year! ;-)

Last updated: 2009-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:20 | 440 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/250
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Triangle course, counterclockwise lake swim. Not much else to say.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:15 | 12 miles | 19.86 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Loop with a few turns. First 1/3 of the course was pretty frickin' hilly, with a couple tough climbs. Once you get through that, the course REALLY speeds up on the return.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:30 | 03.4 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Course: Hilly loop in the neighborhood around the park. In and ou tof oshade the whole time. Seventy-five yard run uphill to the finish line
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-20 8:05 AM

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Subject: Carrollton Triathlon Championship

2009-07-20 8:06 AM
in reply to: #2295423

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Subject: RE: Carrollton Triathlon Championship
Forgot to add:

TEN-MINUTE PR OVER LAST YEAR!!! WOO HOO!!!

...and pics coming.

Edited by bcart1991 2009-07-20 8:11 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carrollton Triathlon Championship Rss Feed