General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Racine, Wisconsin
United States
HFP Racing
64F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 42m 34s
Overall Rank = 823/1207
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 47/83
Pre-race routine:

The family and I spent the night at Casa Grande (aka PJ's house), and I got the BEST night of sleep I have ever gotten before a race. Oh yah. I guess I was tired and ready to sleep, because usually the night before a race there's no sleep involved. But, it all worked for me this time around.

DJDavey was picking me up at 4:45. So, I got up at 4:00, ate some shredded wheat, drank some water, made my required multiple trips to the bathroom, got my stuff together and waited for my chariot to arrive.

The ride consisted of the usual donkey banter and smack talk - oh yah.

Chris is one smart donkey - and he brought his own body marking marker. I need to remember that. I spied him marking up Scott, so I jumped in his body marking line, bypassing the long line, and then headed over to my transition spot. I met up with Anna, Michelle, and Terri, who were all racked close to me. We all got our stuff together, and then Michelle, Terri, Clint and I headed to the donkey tents to drop off backpacks.
Event warmup:

Does the 1.2 mile walk to the start count? 'Cause that and standing in the lake long enough to decide it was warm enough not to be a shock to the system were about all I did for a warm up.
Swim
  • 30m 7s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim had to be short. I know there was a current. But, I don't swim that fast. Even with a current. When I saw the yellow buoy (marking the turn to shore), I thought there had to be a mistake. But, hey, I'll take it.

I lined up on the far outside for this swim, and went out farther and deeper than necessary. That got me out of some of the traffic, and also avoided the "sweeping the bottom" thing that I heard some people complain about. It was a little disorienting to be able to see the bottom while swimming. I'm used to the murky Madison lakes. And, there was enough traffic that I discovered that not sighting every other stroke meant I was going to get tangled with someone that was walking or dolphin diving or something. So, I said screw bilateral breathing, and just breathed every stroke and took a quick peek to see where I was each time. It worked.
What would you do differently?:

I dunno if I would have done anything differently. I maybe could have pushed a wee bit harder, but I was trying not to peg the heart rate and just relax into this swim, and I felt like I did that. Oh, and I loooooved the full wetsuit. Oh yah, I can see why you folks where those things.
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Getting a full wetsuit off is definitely not as easy as getting my shorty off. I had a nice long run up the beach to get the sleeves off, but getting the thing off my heels was a bit more challenging. And, I was a little dizzy from the waves in the water, so I sat down to put my socks and shoes on. I don't normally need to do that. But, it seemed expedient given the circumstances.

Long run with the bike and a bottle neck getting out of transition made for slow mounting. So it goes.

Practice getting the suit off if I'm going to use a full.
Bike
  • 3h 02m
  • 56 miles
  • 18.46 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is my weakness. I know this. So, I was trying to play it conservative. I kept the heart rate low and tried to keep the cadence high and just enjoy the ride. I got passed a LOT, but I also passed some people. I passed a girl on a hybrid and I told her she deserved a prize for doing an HIM on a hybrid bike. Some rough roads meant dodging lots of dropped gear - water bottles, under seat cages, aero bottles, C02 cartridges, gel packs - I saw it all out there. I saw evidence of crashes, and saw several people changing flats and I thanked my lucky stars that wasn't me.

At 16 miles in, AJ passed me. Dang. I told her I had no intention of keeping up and wished her a good race. She was followed shortly by Jen. It took a lot of discipline to let them both go. But, I knew I had a lot of biking ahead of me, and I didn't want to die at the end of it.

About 35 miles in, my stomach started complaining. Oh crap, thought I. But, 5 miles later it was fine again. Whew. This was also about the time that I realized I needed to pee. I wasn't gonna stop to do it. So, I honestly tried to pee on the bike. I tried - really I did! Didn't happen. *sigh* Stupid shy bladder.

About 45 miles in, I almost got taken out by a car, and I screamed "Duuude!" at the guy directing traffic, as I slammed on my brakes to avoid plowing right into said car as it was waved through the intersection. Dude directing traffic screamed at the next car to "stop stop stop." How do you not see a rider with a big ol' donkey on her chest coming at your intersection?

Somewhere around this point, AJ passed me again. Huh? What? How'd that happen? Turns out she stopped for the port-a-potty. Bye bye to AJ again, as she zoomed ahead of me. Then, I passed Jen. Or maybe it was before that. I dunno. It's all getting blurry about this point. I think I started counting down the miles somewhere around the half way point....

I think I rode this smart. I think I need to figure out a better nutrition plan, as I didn't get nearly enough calories in me. Maybe I should learn to drink sports drink. I think I got about 2 clif bars and 3 aero bottles of water consumed... I think. I'd chopped up 3 clif bars and I know I didn't finish them. I also took about 4 endurolytes, which seemed good considering it wasn't very warm.

Maybe if I did some training rides at more of a race pace I might be able to push harder in the race, eh?
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Pretty happy with this one - ran in, racked bike, helmet off, shoes on, sunscreen sprayed, hat in hand - run!

I think this one went well.
Run
  • 2h 06m 59s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Here's where things fell apart a little. I started out well - not sure of the actual pace, but it was the low 9's I think. Maybe even high 8's. I had some soreness in my lower legs coming off the bike, but nothing too bad. I grabbed a gel right out of transition and slammed that down. Stomach felt good, head felt good. About mile 4, my diaphragm started spasming. It was like a side stitch that went all the way across right under my ribs. I did some slow breathing, some deep breathing, some shallow breathing. I got it back under control, but it would return to haunt me.

I got through the first loop and was on pace to go just over 5:30. That blew my mind a little, and I could tell the second lap was going to hurt worse than the first. By now, the diaphragm was fairly well locked in spasm. So, I walked the 2 hills, then picked it up again. At one point some woman started running right behind me. She said, "sorry - but you're the perfect pace." She had a garmin or something that was beeping out the pace for her - beep, boop, beep, boop. ARGH! I saw an aid station up ahead and decided I'd either walk it or blow through it - whichever would let me lose her. She walked, I blew through it. The next aid station, I had to hit the port a potty. Getting going again was painful. Note to self - at that point in the run, just hold the pee.

After the turn around, my IT band started really complaining too. So, I resorted to a program of "run until you're in too much pain, walk 1 minute, run some more." I crossed the 10 mile marker thinking, "this last 5k is gonna suck." And, it did. But coming out of the zoo, I realized I was really really close and found I had a wee bit left in the legs if I could just ignore all the places that hurt, and I cruised down the hill, past the amazing donkey support crew, and through the finish line.

I dunno - what causes diaphragm cramps? Maybe I need more enduroyltes? Or maybe I need to do more core work. My stomach muscles hurt today pretty much all over. So, more core work should probably be on the agenda, eh? I don't think it was going out too fast, because cardio-wise and leg wise I didn't feel like I was dying.
Post race
Warm down:

I made my first ever visit to the med tent and got a big bag o' ice saran wrapped to my knee. Aaaaahhhhhh. Then, the family found me and I got lots of hugs and kisses and went back to cheer in the rest of donkeydom and hang with those that finished before me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I slacked at the end of my training. I was doing great, but the last 3 weeks had been a steady taper. I think I needed to hold the intensity of training a little bit longer. But, overall, I'm super psyched about this race.

Event comments:

This is a great race - a perfect first HIM.

Last updated: 2009-04-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:07 | 2112 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 39/83
Overall: 0/1207
Performance: Good
Suit: Rented Full
Course: Point to point, following the shore - shallow!
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:05
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:02:00 | 56 miles | 18.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 54/83
Wind: Little
Course: Relatively flat with a few rollers. Most of it was decent, though there were a few bumpy spots.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:06:59 | 13.1 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 49/83
Performance: Below average
Course: Double out and back, with a couple of nasty hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-20 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Subject: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

2009-07-20 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2295756

User image

Elite
Denver
Subject: RE: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

Awesome job out there! HIM's are fun, aren't they? Stellar job on keeping it together on the run!

2009-07-20 10:10 AM

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Congrats!  Sounds like you had a great race.  I can only hope my goes as well in a couple of weeks.  Way to push through the cramps and still have a great performance.
2009-07-20 10:33 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

This is your FIRST HIM, correct?  Wow!  Way to go, Donkey Dee!!

Pretty dang lucky to not get hit the car!  That would scare the shat out of me.  Glad nothing happened.

2009-07-20 10:48 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

5:42 first HIM????  sounds very very familiar...........oh yeah, that is what i had to for my first!!!! 

EEEEAAAAWWWWsome job out there donk!!!!!  any time you need a chariot, lemme know!!!!

2009-07-20 10:56 AM

User image

Master
Living in the past

Well done and awesome race! EEEAAAWWW!

Now was that so hard...the report writing, not the race??

2009-07-20 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI

AWESOME job out there.  Glad to see that you could smile even though you were hurting on that run.  I tell ya, with all the donks out there, it made running so much easier cuz you were destined to see someone passing with a high five here and there.  Great job!!!

2009-07-20 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Great race!!!!  Amazing time, speedy!!! 

2009-07-20 1:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison-ish, Wisconsin
Awesome Job Deanna!  Nice job on the run even with the issues!  EEAAAWWW!
2009-07-20 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Awesome job Deanna! So happy you made it thru that bike without an accident! I heard my friend Heather say she saw a guy down holding his head in the middle of an intersection where we turned....yikes! I did notice some impatient drivers turning around right in front of us (we had to slow/swerve) God is great, Beer is good and people are crazy ;-)

The diaphram thing...could have been a salt issue. Did you use hammer gels? (hammer products don't have much salt) and even though it wasn't hot your body might still be a "sweater". I sweat a ton. Everyone is different.

Missed seeing you at the race! High fives on a job well done!!
2009-07-20 3:28 PM
in reply to: #2296870

User image

Master
Madison, WI

Thanks all - it was a great race, and yah - it's probably a  PR that won't fall for a while - pretty darn perfect conditions.

Donna - I was wondering if it was a salt issue. I used some endurolytes - but only about 4 on the bike and 2 on the run after the cramping started. My stomach wasn't thrilled yesterday, so I was kind of going light on the consumption of anything but water.... I think I need to work on the nutrition plan, for sure.

2009-07-20 9:02 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Very impressive missy! You should be very proud.
2009-07-20 10:11 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

You kicked some major butt out there girl!! Completely awesome!! I knew you had me on the run again!! I am sooo getting used to it...

2009-07-21 12:32 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Getting ice from the med tent means you are hard core.  Nice work!  Great to see ya out there.

I heard some beep beeping people on the run too.  Never noticed it before this race.
2009-07-21 2:17 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
Great race Deanna...  Way to stick with it on the run...!!!  I like your idea of focusing on the areas that dont urt...    congrats on your first HIM..
2009-07-21 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Elm Grove

As I said on Sunday.  That was amazing.

2009-07-21 3:06 PM

User image

Veteran

Great to see you this weekend. Awesome debut HIM. Like they say no pain no gain, hope the it band is healing! Awesome race and im sure we will bump into eachother before the summer is over.

2009-07-21 8:54 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Great race this weekend! Nice job keeping your pace under control on the bike so you could stay strong for the run.
2009-07-21 9:25 PM

NE Wisconsin
Great race,thanks for posting report- someday I'd like to do a HIM--you're an inspiration!
Anne
2009-07-22 9:20 AM

User image

your report sounds strangely familiar.....side aches...hungry on bike....lack of salt.... wonderful race girl!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed