Lin-Mark
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 39m 44s
Overall Rank = 31/91
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15; coffee, PB&J's on the ride. Stopped at Wawa for more coffee (because it was two hours before my usual get-up). Cold still with me - coughing hard, puked once - was going to be a great day; spent most of the ride praying I would feel better. Thank goodness I had packed all my stuff the night before. But no way was I missing this race. Took some motrin, cranked the tunes, and just kept telling myself that I had lots in the training bank, and it was withdrawal time.

Checked in, got my stuff together, and rode down to the start.
Event warmup:

Paced a lot, stuck my feet in the water, talked with some fellow competitors. Other than that the swim was my warmup. Starting to feel better now...
Swim
  • 26m 47s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Just wanted to take it easy and stay in the pack. Had a few navigation issues with going to the right doing freestyle - partly due to yellow bathing caps and aiming for a yellow buoy. Stayed aerobic and finished well. Started to forget I didn't feel good.
What would you do differently?:

Work on my sighting, and of course more pool time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Swam without a shirt and tried to put my tri-top on when I was wet; didn't work out well - shirt got stuck on my back and HRM strap - took about the first mile or two of the bike before I got it squared away.

Just need to speed up the general process. Get a top I can wear for the swim on non-wetsuit days.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 40s
  • 25 miles
  • 19.82 mile/hr
Comments:

Nice bike ride; beautiful course. Never knew this part of NJ had hills. Roads mostly smooth; great traffic control and course markings. Overall, I was very comfortable on this ride, pace and HR, little bit of quad cramping toward the end but not bad. Headwind on way out, cross/tail most of way back. First race on HEDs and tubulars - they were awesome.

Little surprised that my pace was under 20 since my computer said mostly 21-22, but I had lost some time fussing with my shirt in the beginning.

Was nice having the sprint and du tie in toward the end - gave some company and pacing help. BTW, forgot I was sick by now...

Ride a little bit harder overall. Just a lesson learned on pacing since this was my first Olympic.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Just your average T2; beat the guy next to me, but he would ge tme bak about 1/4 mile into the run.

Faster...
Run
  • 53m 23s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Some hard cramping in my quads; had to stop in the first half mile to work it out. Then just decided to run it out, walked thru the water stops to hydrate and cool off. Pace a little slower than I would have liked, but at this point there were no Olympic competitors in my sights so just tried to stay consistent.

Just run thru the pain and cramps; they felt better after mile 2. I could have probably run a few minutes faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged/walked out some of the cramps, stretched and drank.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Two things - having a cold in general, and guts at the end. I still need that sicko competitive fire back and need to learn how to apply it smartly in a long event like a tri.

Event comments:

Great race, well organized and marked. Field size was just what I like. Got the third place award in my age group becuase the first guy got second overall. Very happy since this was my first Olympic; learned a lot in terms of strategy and pacing. Will definitely do this one again.

Last updated: 2009-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:47 | 1640 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 41/91
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Two loops - all the way out, back to an inner turnaround, back out, then all the way in.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:16
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:15:40 | 25 miles | 19.82 mile/hr
Overall: 24/91
Performance: Good
HR took a while to come down out of swim (167 first time I looked). Settled in, hung around high Z3 for the most part, but flet comfortable so I stayed there.
Wind: Some
Course: Long loop, tied back in with the spring and Du with about 9 miles to go.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:53:23 | 06.2 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Overall: 53/91
HR Z3/Z4; HR wasn't my issue at this point
Course: Two loops - trails, fields, roads. Some shade which was nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-20 10:41 AM

User image

Veteran
What used to be the country, PA
Subject: Sunset Lake Triathlon (Olympic)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sunset Lake Triathlon (Olympic) Rss Feed