General Discussion Race Reports! » Belwood Sprint Triathlon & Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Belwood Sprint Triathlon & Duathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fergus, Ontario
Canada
Subaru Triathlon Series
15C / 59F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 58m 52s
Overall Rank = 231/463
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 38/52
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at dawn and looked outside. GOOD DAY SUNSHINE! Not a cloud in the sky over oakville. So I packed my lightest, thinest racing shirt and little other clothing. I did not want to overheat on the course...
I drove due north, stopping only for coffee and a BLT breakfest sandwich. As I crossed Hwy-401 something happened to the sky. It turned the colour of the Soviet Naval battle fleet - gray and menacing. The wind picked up. A cold chill ran up my spine.
Event warmup:

I ended up parking in the backwoods of Muskoka and hiking back to the lake. Racked my bike and racked my brain on how to dress for the race. In the end I decedied not to wear my tri-top under my wetsuit. I did not want to ride the bike in this cold, windy weather while wearing a wet shirt.

I Lined up to pee. Lined up to get race bib and swim cap. Lined up to get marked. Then I set up transition gear, donned my wetsuit and waddled down to the lake. PANIC ATTACK. I did a brief 2 minute warmup swim but the cold weather, the mucky lake water and my gammy tummy caused me to consider pulling out. I've been fighting a stomach bug and I talked myself into believing that a Pepto-Bismol moment would happen to me in during the swim. I calmed myself down and started the swim, promissing myself that I'd swim to the resuce boat as soon as I started feeling worse. Fortunately my stomach held out.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1094 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

I swam cautiously and at a relaxed tempo - I was never out of breath or fatigued. I was worried about my tummy and I have not swam more than 500m in open water since 2007. I kept turning to the left for some reason. Some body contact but nothing to scary.
Overall I was happy with the swim - It left me with plenty of energy for the bike.
What would you do differently?:

I need to practice swimming straight and sight better. Oh, and maybe swim a little faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

I waddled from the lake into T1. I pulled off my suit. I want to put on my Tri-top. I looked like Mr.Bean in that episode where he tries to get dressed. I then wiped off my feet and put on my socks (why? I don't know!). I brewed a coffe and read the paper. Then I grabbed my bike and decided to go for a ride.

Stop trating T1 as a rest stop and actually make an effort to move my ass.
Bike
  • 55m 34s
  • 30 kms
  • 32.39 km/hr
Comments:

After the first 10 minutes I was feeling good. Feeling very good. I was cruising at 45 km/hr on the flats and hit 60km/hr on downhills. I figured that I must have subconciously picked up some riding tips from the 15 minutes of Tour de France I watched the night before. I did the first half of the bike ride averaging 36 km/hr.
Then things started to go wrong as I hit the 15 km turn-around, at 20km/hr. I literally skidded my back tire around the turn-around cone, almost wiping out. And then I noticed the wind. The wind blowing directly into my face. It dawned on my why I was riding so fast on the way out and what the ride back will be like. Much slower.
I was still passing people on the flats and downhills, but working hard to go 27 km/hr. The good news was that I improved on the hills (bbopper's coaching during our training ride helped). Some people still passed me but I spun the pedals until I got to the top without being too exhausted.

PS - to the good people at Profile Designs who make such comfy saddles, both my left and right testicle thanks you for a much more comfortable ride.

Not much. Maybe take more nurtition at end of ride to be recharged at the start of the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Better Transition than T1. My elasic laces saved me 3 secons of tieing shoes. Sip of water and off I went.

nothing.
Run
  • 36m 11s
  • 7 kms
  • 05m 10s  min/km
Comments:

At start of run I felt like a Mafia victim - legs encased in concrete. At the 2km water station I remembered that in the back of my jersy I had a gel pack with 50mg of caffeene. YEAH BABY! Recharged, my legs started to turn over better. Every km I ran was faster than the last. The first 2 km took 12.5 min. - the last two took less than 10.

Gel up earlier. Drink more - I was pretty dehyderated at the end. Overall I was happy with the run.
Post race
Event comments:

Nice race. The lake was kinda mucky but swimmable. The distances were odd but worked out ok. The run course was pretty (woods) but a little clausterphobic.

Last updated: 2009-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1094 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 45/52
Overall: 319/463
Performance: Average
Have you ever heard of the legendary Kung Fu warrior caled the Drunken Master? his technique was to fight while swaying and lurching left and right. I was the Drunken Master Swimmer - I swam lurching left then right, zig-zagging my way across the lake. I probably swam 1200m.
Suit: T1 DeSotto
Course: Rectangle with left hand turns. nice course, with an iteresting weir damn on one side (not a generation station, just for level control). Lake was very silty, and wading in I sank to my knees in soft muck.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:37
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:55:34 | 30 kms | 32.39 km/hr
Age Group: 23/52
Overall: 150/463
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and Back on quite nice roads. Only caution is that the course was open to automobile traffic but fortunately there were only a few cars.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:36:11 | 07 kms | 05m 10s  min/km
Age Group: 39/52
Overall: 277/463
Performance: Good
Course: An interesting course: a Y-shaped (out and back on the Y-prongs), all on a dirt / grass trail. People ran on the smoot paths made by that park jeep tire-tracks, The problem was that the course was too narrow - it was hard to pass people without risking a head-on collision with the on coming traffic.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes