View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Marble Falls, Texas
United States
Total Time = 1h 47m 15s
Overall Rank = 13/373
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/31
Pre-race routine:

Nothing fancy. Woke up, at bagel and banana and drove 40 minutes to race.
Event warmup:

Once again, I am a creature of habit. Got my transition all set up and went for a short run with a couple pickups to get the blood going. Got my swim stuff and went for my first 200m warmup swim and came back to shore. Went back out for my 2nd swim and I was feeling good.
Swim
  • 15m 56s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

I last did this race 2 years ago and I knocked 3 minutes off the swim. I did wear my skin for the 1st time and that had something to do with it but I also like to think I'm a much better swimmer than I was 2 years ago.

I got into a good rhythm right away as I seeded myself right up front. Got a good start and then tried to get on the feet of anyone that passed me. Got a good draft for a little while and then lost them and everything thinned out. I just took the clean water and went at a nice pace.

It got a little congested the last 200M at the last turn and I ran over some from the previous wave but it didn't slow me down a whole bunch.
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

This was a BAD T1. I probably lost 25 seconds here. This was my first race in my swim skin and I couldn't get the stupid zipper open. I wore the suit a couple times in practice and worked on getting it open but I had a hard time finding the zipper while running in T1. Then, I couldn't get it over my ankles. It was actually tougher to get off than my regular wetsuit.

Once out of the suit I was able to get going quickly on the bike. Shoes were clipped on bike and I was gone.
Bike
  • 59m 31s
  • 23 miles
  • 23.19 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 6 miles of this bike is all uphill. I honestly believe this is the hilliest and toughest 23 mile bike that I do in a race. I know I recover from climbs pretty quickly so my strategy was to hit the first 6 miles uphill pretty hard. I passed a lot of people right away. My IMFL and race buddy had about 40 seconds on me out of the swim and I think I passed him on the bike 3 miles in. Felt good to pass a Kona qualifier but I knew I had to put distance on him because he's a stronger runner.

My computer didn't work so I was just going on RPE and felt pretty good the entire bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

Good transition. Feet out of shoes. Rack bike. Shoes and hat on.... See ya!
Run
  • 29m 39s
  • 4.4 miles
  • 06m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't sure what I'd have for the run. Since I was feeling a little pain from the old injury I backed off my runs since CapTex and my longest run has been 6 miles with absolutely NO speed work. I knew I just had to hold on to stay ahead of Jim.

I felt much better than I thought through the first 2.5 miles and then I felt my quads starting to cramp. At this point I had to slow the pace because I knew if I cramped up I'd be passed. I knew I wouldn't pass anyone in my age group and all I could do was lose placing. I just had to look back once in a while to make sure Jim wouldn't catch me. He said he could see me but I never saw him whenever I turned back.

Happy with this run considering I really backed off my run volume and speed.
Post race
Event comments:

This is great local race. It's tough and you need to be fast.

Last updated: 2009-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:56 | 1094 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/31
Overall: 56/373
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: