General Discussion Race Reports! » Carls Family YMCA Happy Trails Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Carls Family YMCA Happy Trails Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milford, Michigan
United States
3 Diciplines
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 39s
Overall Rank = 56/183
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at the lake house so this was not my normal routine...slept like crap, but I knew it would be loud being fireworks night on the lake, and I had a good nights sleep on Friday. Same breakfast as usual, but my stomach was off from when I woke up. Had the car packed the night before, and hit the road, listening to YoYo Ma, and Ipod (So guilty...Britney Spears Circus gets me pumped) to get fired up. Got the packet, chipped, marked, racked and started looking for HOUNDS and friends.
Event warmup:

Geared the bike down with a quick spin before racking...didn't get any swimming in as it was about 62 or so and NOT wetsuit legal(no way was the water 81 degrees that 3D stated). Got an ART adjustment from Dr. Karl my ART doc who was working the race! Took a gu about 15 mintes before the swim start. All the women started off the race which is kind of cool.
Swim
  • 19m
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

I never really hit my groove on this swim...my stomach was upset (more than just nerves) and I was burpy the whole way. The water wasn't too bad temp wise once I had swum 150-200 meters. I did well with sighting till the last 200(went off course a bit) and kept pretty tight to the buoys for the turns. Kimm was my pace booty up to transition!
What would you do differently?:

I think the warm up is really important for a good swim for me. The cold air temps kept me dry and not warmed up. :-(
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

My gear bag got stuck on the rear of my bike...took a few seconds to detach it. Took a couple tries to velcro the shoes...DOH!

Make sure the gear bag is not so close to the bike. I only did one run through of transitions, and as always, I could do more practice.
Bike
  • 42m 14s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.66 mile/hr
Comments:

I had the fastest bike overall for the women with this time. :-) It felt pretty hard through most of it. Again, the stomach was still ishy, and I think I perfected the snot rocket on this ride! I was a booger factory during the bike! EWWWW!

I know I've ridden faster paces out at Kensington before, so not my best performance, but I'm still really happy with the ride! It was sweet to see Kimm, Jon and Sunshine on the bike leg!

Just ride the actual course a bit more in training. I rode portions, but not the first section except for once before the race. I'd forgotten how hard it is to climb out of the lot and go right into another climb!

Oh yeah, and learn to climb better!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

The fancy schmancy shoes didn't help today! I got the left foot out fine, but accidentally pulled the little velcro strap at the toe on the right shoe, not the big one. I had to stop at the dismount line, unclick the shoe from the cleat, take the shoe off, then run into transition! What a ding dong!!! When I was putting on my shoes, my abs cramped up hard...this is the second time that's happened. The rest of t2 went o.k. though.

Um, grab the right strap for heaven sakes! Oh, and PRACTICE MORE!
Run
  • 27m 52s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I had to stop just a few minutes into the run to adjust my shoes for a sec, then all was good! The run seemed long to me. I don't remember it being so winding last year on the second half. I only took water at the second aid station and only walked 3 steps, then got back to it. This was slower than my other 2 races this year, but considering the longer hillier bike, I'm happy with it.

Again as always, push a little more. I'm getting better at being uncomfortable on the run, but there's room for improvement for sure.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged around in front of the lake for 5 minutes or so...saw Jogo looking for me,(got a great big hug!) grabbed an eas drink and h20 and hooked up with the HOUNDS, Ranger and Runnergirl. Did stretching about 40 minutes after finishing, and got an ART adjustment about 1 hour after finishing from Dr. Karl! Sweet!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I had a pretty good race today. I really like getting warmed up before the swim though. That and the stomach was a bit off. Oh, and practicing transitions! :-)

Event comments:

What a great race day! I got to race with my teammates, Kimm, Jon, Sunshine, Jeff, Lisa and share Mike's first tri experience! It was awesome to race with Coop (and share recovery drinks too!), and be cheered on and supported by Jo,Trish, Marian, Kathy, Kristen, Jen and Dave. I had so much love and support coming my way...I can't thank everyone enough for the mojo and good wishes! I am one very very lucky girl!

I'm really happy that I placed 4th overall for women and got 1st Masters overall! It was really nice to do so well at the same race that was my first triathlon experience in 2006! :-)

Last updated: 2009-02-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:00 | 800 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 82/183
Performance: Average
160 max, 156 avg hr
Suit: Greyhound racing suit
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:14 | 12.43 miles | 17.66 mile/hr
Overall: 38/183
Performance: Good
166 max 160 avg
Wind: Little
Course: Oy, it's hilly out there! Same bike course as years past and just as challenging! 3 main climbs with some rollers and fast downhills!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:52 | 03.11 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 97/183
Performance: Good
185 max hr 168
Course: Paved park path, grass cross country trail and a couple roller hills with a really nice long down hill finish. Yay for Gravity!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-20 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Carls Family YMCA Happy Trails Triathlon

2009-07-21 5:44 AM
in reply to: #2297416

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI
Subject: RE: Carls Family YMCA Happy Trails Triathlon
Honestly woman, you are a freight train this year!  It makes me (almost) want to practice wimming more so I can be faster than you at something!

Great job out there, seriously.  If you keep this up you'll be winning all of your races next year!

GO HOUNDS!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carls Family YMCA Happy Trails Triathlon Rss Feed