General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Racine, Wisconsin
United States
HFP Racing
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 49m 15s
Overall Rank = 259/1206
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 22/80
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 0350. Then, I ate a banana, plum, Cliff bar, and drank my usual 1000 or so cal. protein/carb shake. Was packed up and ready to hit the road with Craig by 0430. We left Menominee Falls and headed down to Racine. The trip took about an hour and we had plenty of time to set up our transition and put on sunscreen etc...
Event warmup:

Just a short 2 mile or so jog to get the blood flowing. Walked a mile down the beach to the swim start and then a 5 minute swim to get adjusted to the water.
Swim
  • 26m 40s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm not really sure if the course was short, the current was strong or a combo of all the above plus other factors, but I'm certain that it was at least 5 minutes off of my fastest 1000yd tt pace times.

Other than the time abnormalities everything went well. I was able to dolphin dive several times on the start and avoided any churn/bumping/wrestling around the first buoy by getting out quick and turning around the buoy wide. Navigation went well enough it felt like I was able to maintain a generally straight course.
What would you do differently?:

Probably not a much.
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Had the suit nag on my foot which had not happened in any of my training swims. Got the helmet and glasses on and grabbed the bike and started the run from the farthest northern rack to the bike exit. Got to the mount line and jumped on the bike. I was able to get my right foot into the shoe prior to the small hill and was able to get the other foot in and straps tightened before the first turn after the top.

Step on the suit and pull my leg out with some force.
Bike
  • 2h 40m 10s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike went much faster and better than I anticipated. The last 15 miles were pretty painful for my quads and legs in general, but I'm glad that I pushed it and was able to average over 20mph (one of my goals).

1) Buy a trainer 2) Hammer the bike all winter on the trainer 3) Start next years plan with a bike focus

Possibly change nutrition plan.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Had feet out of and on top of shoes before the hill and was able to get off the bike at the line with no issues. Ran all the way down to the far end of the transition area to rack the bike and put on my running shoes and hat with no problems.

Maybe nutrition.
Run
  • 1h 39m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I intended to keep as close to a 7min/mile pace for the duration but fell a good bit short. I was definately holding close to that pace for the first loop but it started slipping after the 2 small hills near the zoo. It became painfully obvious at around mile 7 or 8 that my pushing so hard on the bike was tanking the last part of the run as my pace kept slipping:) Oh, well the overall run time was still OK and I was more than glad to trade a slower run for a fast (for me) bike.

Nutrition.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk the bike and gear to the car 5 blocks away. Walk back to the finish line and around the area to stay loose.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

From the very start of the bike I started having mild stomach aches and it quickly developed into gut rot after about 30 minutes of riding. I followed my nutrition plan pretty much to a T. I was taking in about 200 cals/hour via a gatoraide + maltodextrin mix and gu gels. That combo has worked well in training so I'm not sure what the real issue was being caused by. It could have been that I got too much of Lake Michigan in my belly during the swim or just that my stomach is less tolerant when I'm pushing that hard. Anyways, on the second half of the run I stopped drinking water and only drank heed and that seemed to help the stomach out a little bit.

Event comments:

I think that something could be done to get the swim course adjusted so that it is more accurate to our actual abilities!

Overall I was very happy with this race. It was my second tri and my first half ironman distance event. I'm already planning my tri training schedule for next spring, and am excited to start hitting it a lot harder than I did this cycle.

Last updated: 2009-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:40 | 2112 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/80
Overall: 284/1206
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion Sleeveless
Course: One way south along the beach with the current and the waves.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:40:10 | 56 miles | 20.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 42/80
Overall: 493/1206
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:39:38 | 13.1 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/80
Overall: 176/1206
Performance: Average
Course: Double loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-20 9:32 PM

User image

Regular
Shoreview, MN
Subject: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed