Vineman, Inc.
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 26m 42s
Overall Rank = 1692/2286
Age Group = 35-39F
Age Group Rank = 117/143
Pre-race routine:

Half a bagel with peanut butter between 4:30 and 5:30. Banana around 5:30. Sprayed suncreen. Filled bike Speedfill bottle with ice. Left hotel around 6:10 a.m. Arrived at Johnson's Beach around 6:40; my wave didn't start until 7:50, so we had plenty of time for racking the bikes, potty stop, and getting transition set up.
Event warmup:

Eight minutes between wave starts. Got in and swum to other side of river. Was shallow enough to stand up. Talked to fellow athletes.
Swim
  • 55m 37s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Race results do not provide ranks for each of the sports and the official time of 1:03:07 includes T1 time. The 55:37 is from my swim watch. When I came out of the water, the racks for all bikes in waves previous to mine and up to my bike were already dismantled and it was very easy to find my bike. There were perhaps two or three other "white cap" bikes in our corral, but otherwise I was essentially the last out of the water for my wave, as usual. Except for being really slow and getting run over by three waves of swimmers (blue, red and yellow caps), I really enjoyed the swim. Stood up in the shallow river a couple of times to clear my goggles, and also at the buoy it was so shallow that it was easier to run the turn than to swim it.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to swim efficiently. That's all I can do.
Transition 1
  • 07m 32s
Comments:

Tried compression socks for this race. Knew they were going to take a long time to put on over wet legs and feet, but I didn't think they would take THAT long. Bike racks were being dismantled all around me as I struggled to get the socks on. I've been doing all my long rides and runs in compression socks, and I know some pros wear them, but I'm not sure they helped in this race. I don't think I would do it again. On the other hand, my calves feel great the day after the race, so maybe they did help.

Practice with the compression socks or find out what the pros who wear compression socks do to speed up the T1 time.
Bike
  • 3h 26m 17s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Very hilly, rough road. Passed a lot of athletes on the hills, but they sometimes passed me back on flat areas. I know now that by hitting my bike goal, I trashed myself for the run. Rookie mistake. Also, low avg cadence meant I did too much mashing on the hills, which also burned too much glycogen and left me with nothing for the hot run. What I did do right: took the salt tablets every half hour or so, ate Fig Newtons and Powerbar balls, refilled water bottle with cold water at aid station 2.

Pace better on the bike to leave more fuel for the run. Get the hill training and long rides in before the race to be better prepared.
Transition 2
  • 06m 25s
Comments:

Since I don't do things like riding with feet on top of the shoes or jumping off a moving bike, I can't expect a super fast T2 time. But I was surprised it was that slow. There was a long run from the dismount line to the bike rack. I had a little bit of a hard time finding my shoes since EVERYONE's bike was already racked. Had to move three bikes out of the way to make room for my bike by my running shoes. I think a good chunk of the T2 time was when I was stopped at the aid station just inside T2 to get sprayed with additional sunscreen. I was VERY glad I did this because it cut down on the amount of sunburn.

Run a little more with the bike (ran some, walked some).
Run
  • 2h 50m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't have anything in me. It was hot and I just melt in the heat. Was walking before the end of mile 1. Walked a little of every mile (but ran a little of every mile, too). Got into a 90-second run to 30-second walk rhythm. Upped to 3 minutes of running at a time during the second half of the race. Ran (jogged?) the last 1.5 miles of the race just to get off of the course. Aid stations were wonderful! Ate lots of grapes and peaches. Took advantage of hoses and misters where available.

I screwed up this run by not carrying a water bottle with me. Because we had to set up T2 the day before, I figured any water in a bottle would get too hot, so I would just use the water on the course. Now I know to ALWAYS take a water bottle with me, and if the water is too hot, just dump it out and fill it with water at the first aid station.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, stretched when I got back to the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, mental toughness. I think I could have run more of the half mary, but others were walking and I was hurting, so I didn't force myself to do better.

Event comments:

PROS: Beautiful venue, lots of aid stations and plenty of good stuff at the aid stations. Loved the fruit and cola. Great swim venue. CONS: Bike course on narrow, hilly, winding roads open to traffic. Lack of finisher's gear (no finisher's hat, no finisher's shirt unless you ordered an embroidered one, and they ran out of the finisher's water bottles by the time I got there). Even the purchasable merchandise doesn't have the year on it and gets recycled from year to year. No post-race activities. Two different transitions areas were a pain and the shuttles to get back to the cars at Johnson's Beach were slow and crowded. Not planning to do this one again.

Last updated: 2009-02-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:55:37 | 2112 yards | 02m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/143
Overall: 0/2286
Performance: Below average
Suit: was wetsuit legal but did not wear wetsuit
Course: River swim - one loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:32
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:26:17 | 56 miles | 16.29 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Point to point from Guerneville to Windsor. Open course with traffic. Turns marked with policemen at intersections. Almost clipped by a pickup truck that swerved into me trying to get around another car and other bicyclists. Saw accident where a car came close to a biker, startled her, and she went off the pavement into the dirt shoulder and crashed. Stopped to make sure she was OK.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:25
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:50:51 | 13.1 miles | 13m 02s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back along asphalt streets. Very hilly. Little shade. Aid stations every mile, stocked with ice, water, Gatorade, RC cola, grapes, peaches, bananas and cookies.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-20 11:01 PM

User image

Expert
Tempe
Silver member
Subject: Vineman Ironman 70.3

2009-07-21 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2297797

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: RE: Vineman Ironman 70.3
Kim, it sounds like you learned some tough lessons out there. At the end of the day, you finished your first 70.3. Good Job!
2009-07-21 2:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kim I'm so proud of you! You are one tough cookie keep up the good work.
2009-07-21 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Kim - you should be really proud of this accomplishment.  70.3 is tough, and especially so on this course.  You have now completed the distance and got some lessons along the way to apply to your future races - sounds like a completely successful day to me!!

2009-07-21 4:24 PM

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az

The swim running is the only time I like to run...  How funny..  Great job!!!!

2009-07-21 8:41 PM

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Wow, 95 is hot! We had only 91 and were melting. I know how you felt on the run. WTG on sticking with your run/walk rhythm. Congratulations!

2009-07-22 3:59 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Hey, thanks for the congrats! I can't believe you think you failed anything! You did an awesome job getting through that run! I saw lots of people just sitting under trees, lying on the side of the road, ambulances, you name it! YOU kept moving forward. I was a bit bummed about not running the whole half, but hey, we finished. You play the hand you are dealt and at the end of the day, for both of us, it was our first HIM and we are finishers!
2009-07-23 6:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Excellent race - you didn't fail at anything. You finished. It was tough out there!  Congratulations!
2009-07-24 2:15 AM

User image

Mesa
Good job Kim!

Certainly don't feel bad about the run. That course can get the best of you when it is hot. Especially after the bumpy ride!

2009-07-24 11:16 AM

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ

Great Job Kim!! You are an inspiration to me going out there for your first 70.3 on a new/unfamiliar course and continuing to strech your comfort zone with the OWS. Great Job!! I think the run portion of a 70.3 is always going to be hard, you have to adapt like you did and find a method that will work for you. Big Congrats on a great race!

2009-07-28 10:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix, AZ

Great job in your first 70.3 race! The first one is always the hardest but you cranked it out, Awesome job!

2009-07-29 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix
Haha! I walked around the buoys too! Did you scrape your hands at the bottom of the river while swimming? I thought that was really weird. I'm agree with you on this one - I'm not planning on doing it again either. I loved the scenery, but it really sucked to take a shuttle back to the car, drive back to the finish, and THEN pick up all your stuff. Especially on such a hot day. Great job! See you at St. George!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed