General Discussion Race Reports! » Regina Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Regina Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada
Regina Multisport Club
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 02m 24s
Overall Rank = 79/130
Age Group = W40-49
Age Group Rank = 4/8
Pre-race routine:

Went Saturday night to help with course set up, which was a good opportunity to scout out the area. Then prepped everything.

Up around 5, and had breakfast (tea, bread, pb & honey, banana), packed up the car and off to Regina Beach (about 35 minute drive).

Arrived at site around 6:30. Put bike in upper transition area and dropped mom off with the race packages we had picked up for a bunch of the S'toon folks who couldn't make it down on Saturday. Sent dad down to park the car. Once I got my spot all ready, I went down the hill to get the lower transition ready, to sign in, and to get my timing chip. Once all that was accomplished, I found dad, dropped off an extra bag and ate a peach. Dad and I just started again up the hill to check on mom when we found mom on her way down - all packages delivered.

Mom and dad and I found a nice spot for them to sit and relax before the race start, and I went to get on my wetsuit.
Event warmup:

Other than walking down/up the hill, I got in 5-10' of swimming to get used to the water and to try to identify site-lines. Rumor had it that the swim was going to be counter-clockwise instead of the usual clockwise, so I found a race official to confirm, and then double-checked the siting options.

Weather:
TimeTempRel HumDirSpeedHumidex
08:0018.567SE28
09:0020.563SSE26
10:0023.560SSE2228
11:0026.552S1731
12:0028.741SW20

Swim
  • 31m 23s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

So on the first lap, the part to the first buoy went well - not too busy, kept in line. My arms reminded me that I hadn't done much swimming lately. Got to the first buoy and rounded it fine. Had a couple of issues determining exactly where the next buoy was, but mostly enjoyed the feeling of going with the waves. Rounded the last buoy and had a tough time seeing the last buoy with the sun directly into our eyes. Picked what I thought was my target but ended up being wide right and getting into the weedy section. Ugh. Finally corrected myself, and rounded the buoy on the beach for lap two.

For lap two, I struggled with staying on course to the first buoy: the wind seemed to be pushing me left, and I had to fight it the whole way. Around the buoy and with the wind - nice. Around the last buoy and took a little time to find the buoy on the shore, found the tree to site with, then swam in, happy to be nearly done.

I was happy with my time.
What would you do differently?:

Take the time to find the shore buoy.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

So there were two transitions before we got on the bike.
T1a is from the swim to a run up the hill.
T1b is from the run up the hill on to the bike.

In T1a, I had got off the wetsuit with no problems, dried off my feet, and then put on my socks and runners. I've been having problems with blisters lately, and Dana suggested two things: putting baby powder in the socks and wearing two pair of socks. For T1a, I had a pair of socks with baby powder all ready, and they slipped on nice and felt good. The T1a + run up the hill is included in the run time.

As I entered T1b, a volunteer was reminding everyone that helmets on and fastened before touching the bike. I thought "I always do that". I slipped off my runners and put on my bike shoes, and grabbed my bike, then realized I forgot to put on my helmet first - doh! A nice volunteer was good enough to help me balance my bike while I fastened my helmet. Then off to the mount line and away. T1b time is included in the bike time.

Yeah - remember the helmet thing...
Bike
  • 1h 20m 54s
  • 40 kms
  • 29.67 km/hr
Comments:

A pretty good bike. Three people passed me, but I passed two of them back. A cross-head-wind on the first part (probably averaged around 27), then turned into an almost straight head-wind (maybe averaged around 24), then a heavenly tail-wind (averaged high 40s and even hit 56), back with a cross-tail-wind (averaged high 30s). Repeat.

I passed a guy trying to fix a flat 4 times. After the fourth time, I slowed down by one of the marshals to advise that this guy really needed help or a ride, which is when I got passed by two folks.

On the first lap, with the cross wind, I didn't want to let go to eat, so I stuck to sipping from my aero bottle. Into the headwind, I probably waited too long to grab some chomps. And I really didn't want to waste the tail wind - I was flying! But my body was letting me know I wasn't being smart with the nutrition. Second lap, I still clung to the bike in the bit with the cross wind, but I got in most of the chomps in the head wind section.

(Results show me at 2nd in my age category, but I know I go off the bike ahead of the gal they showed first. She lost her chip somewhere, so they might have fudged some numbers for her?)

Not stop to tell the marshal about the guy stuck with the flat.
Work on nutrition. How to eat in a cross wind?
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Found my spot. Took off my bike shoes, helmet, and shades, put on the second pair of socks and my runners. Grabbed two gels and a sip of water. Away!
T2 time included in bike.

I thought this transition went well!
Run
  • 1h 10m 7s
  • 10 kms
  • 07m 01s  min/km
Comments:

Lack of hydration and nutrition on the bike plus heat that we haven't had all year added to a lack of mental focus meant I let myself walk too many sections of the "run", especially the big hill at the turn-around. Now that I know the course, I would probably do better mentally, knowing where the aid stations are relative to the turn-around, etc.

On the other hand, I mostly expected a run around the 1:10-1:13 time, so I can't be too disappointed.

I really enjoyed the trail run (instead of concrete or the hills from the old course). And I was so pleased that the blisters on my feet caused me no problems.

Know the run course better (check it out ahead of time).
Take along something to drink.
Fight the negative thoughts.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line and went straight for the watermelon. Mmmm.

Picked up the post-race lunch and ate with mom and dad. Then picked up my gear, packed up the car, listed to the awards, and off to home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition. Not used to heat. Listening to the negative thoughts on the run.

Event comments:

A most excellent swag bag was the first hint that this was going to be an excellently run race. Nick and Jason did a super job organizing Sask's largest race ever.

It was also great to have my mom and dad there as my cheering squad!

Last updated: 2009-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:23 | 1500 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 67/130
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Two loops of a triangular course that went from the shore, out to the middle of the lake, then parallel to the beach, and then following the shore back to the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:54 | 40 kms | 29.67 km/hr
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 41/130
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Two loops of an out and back course along highway 54. The course goes ESE for about 3.5 km, then goes S for about 6.5 km. Turn around and back the same way (go N, then WNW).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:10:07 | 10 kms | 07m 01s  min/km
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 105/130
Performance: Below average
Course: 650m uphill run from swim transition (T1a) to bike transition (T1b). Then 650m down the hill from T2 back to the lake. Ran 4.35km on an out-and-back gravel path, mostly along the shoreline, except for the hill at the turn-around.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-21 12:19 AM

User image

Subject: Regina Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Results available here:
http://www.resultscanada.com/results2009/2009_ReginaBeach/2009_Regi...

Edited by amg 2009-07-21 12:20 AM

2009-07-21 10:37 AM
in reply to: #2297855

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: RE: Regina Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Great race! That wind was something eh? I was worried it would be an impediment, but it turned out to be a good equalizer.
The guy with the flat had no tube, or blew up his second tube. One of the race marshals - in a grey Hummer. Picked up a tube for him and then there was a discussion with one of the STAC people about outside help. I cleared the tube with Don Gallo, but there was to be no help for him putting it on.  That's probably why it took so long.
It shows your good character and consideration when you stopped. I appreciate that.

I think walking up and down that hill pre-race is warmup enough! What did you think about the turnaround on the run? a little steep? That was Jason's idea.

Great race report and thanks for the feedback about the race. And yes, probably the best swag bag I've ever seen. Too bad I didn't get one
2009-07-22 11:55 PM
in reply to: #2297855

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan
Subject: RE: Regina Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Thanks once again for helping set up on Saturday night and congratulations on your race Andrea!  Also I appreciate your kind words about our race....it makes all the hard work worthwhile knowing that the athletes enjoyed the race!  See you in Calgary!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Regina Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed