General Discussion Race Reports! » Midwest Mayhem Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Midwest Mayhem Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lawrence, Kansas
United States
Midwest Multisport Races
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 04m 40s
Overall Rank = 67/93
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/12
Pre-race routine:

Ate an ind. pizza and drank 3 beers the night before at Old Chicago. Went out with Dina, Matt, and Tiffany. Stopped off at Dan's house to visit, then went to Matt's, checked the internet, and then crashed.

Woke up at 5 a.m. Showered, got dressed, and left. Ate two apples and a Cliff Bar along the way. Enroute 'Alice in Chains' came on the radio followed by 'Blackfoot' (definately a God thing).

Got to the event, found a place to rack the bike (I really don't care for the wooden wheel racks), and then went and got my body marked.

While I was getting marked, I hear this 'Mr. Scheele, what are you up to?'. I then realized Jeremy (a guy from my brothers class) was standing in line behind me. I thought he was looking at me strange before I knew who he was. :)

Anyway, said "Hi" to him and then went and got myself and my transition area ready.
Event warmup:

Stretched and got into the water to hang. Didn't do a few strokes or nothing.
Swim
  • 35m 15s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim to first corner was excellent. Swam 'free', breathing was good, and passed a lot of people.

After rounding the corner, I decided to swim 'Breast' during the long straight away. After coming off the DL list, I thought this would be the best move to save myself for the rest of the race since I have a strong breast stroke anyhow. I was keeping up with people while they were doing 'Free'.

After turning the last corner, my plan was to finish up with a solid 'Free'. This failed miserably. I turned the corner and could not see a thing because of the combination of the sun and my goggles fogging up. I was literally disorientated and I'm sure my swim looked like a long, windy road. People began passing me and I was truly demoralized.

What would you do differently?:

Get some anti-fog for my goggles.
Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

Took my time just like I planned. Did I say I didn't like those wooden wheel bike racks? It started to pull up when I freed my bike.

Step on the bike rack when I pull my bike up.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 39s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.82 mile/hr
Comments:

We all know that biking isn't my forte, but I am very happy with my bike performance. I grinded up the hills, coasted down the hills (to rest), and hammered on the straights. I was so stoked to be passing people with nicer bikes then mine. I was even more excited when I began passing people from the Sprint Triathlon (even though they were older, heavier, and on mountain bikes). :)

I witnessed one cool thing, a guy passed me up with a little Kid Rock playing from somewhere on his bike. I have to get one of those, but I might be jamming some Bride or something.

Work on my cornering. I tend to brake more, instead of taking wider and faster turns.
Transition 2
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

Another nice and long transition. Changed my shoes, ate a gel, sucked down some water, chit chatted with Mel (Jeremy's wife-I have no clue how she got into the transition area), and took off.

Nothing.
Run
  • 54m 34s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good going out of the chute and continued through the whole run. Strange thing was I felt like puking before Mile 1. The rest of my body felt awesome, but my stomach wanted to puke even though it didn't ache neither. Very weird. I'm wondering if I overdosed on gels.

Anyway, a little after mile 2 I came to an intersection and there were maybe 10 racers standing around talking about where the course went to next. There were no signs or people directing us where to go. We made a collective decision on the direction we should go and thankfully we were right.

After that mess, I was soon running with a lady from Olathe. We chit chatted the rest of the race. Never done that in a run before, but it made time fly by.

Honestly, I had more juice in the tank. I could've pushed the run harder, but I didn't want to overdo it neither.

By the way, I think the run course was shortened a little bit. Maybe 2 or 3 tenths of a mile. Very nice and scenic course.

Good run, but I could've pushed it harder. Study my map more.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank two glasses of water, began packing my gear away, talked with Jeremy for a short, talked with Dina, looked at the prelimanaries, went to Matts and ate hamburgers and brats. Yummmmmmmmm!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being on the DL list because of my back and then because of my fever a few days before the race.

Event comments:

Good race, but could've had better directions on the run course. Also, get real bike racks, not the wooden, wheel holders.

Last updated: 2009-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:15 | 1500 meters | 02m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 60/93
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Course looked like a triangle with a very long base and the point chopped off.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:28:39 | 24.85 miles | 16.82 mile/hr
Overall: 69/93
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Round the park, out to the highway, and followed approx. 18 miles of the IMKS course. Naturally, there were a lot of hills. I was surprised at the hills and turns around the lake.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:34 | 06.21 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 61/93
Performance: Average
Course: Mostly shaded and scenic view roads around the lake. Most of it was pavement, except for maybe a mile or so. Plenty of hills also.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-21 12:30 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Midwest Mayhem Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2009-07-21 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2297864

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Subject: RE: Midwest Mayhem Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Nice job, way to 'finish some business' down in Lawrence.     

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Midwest Mayhem Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed