General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Controlled Carb Diet Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-21 9:03 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Controlled Carb Diet

I've been doing a controlled carb diet for about 10-12 weeks now. Granted I've fallen off the wagon for a week, but I've had great success. How a high fat, controlled carb diet will affect my "ability" or training, I don't know yet.

I'm not convinced that the scientific community has a clue as to what they are doing. Let's face it, everything you eat is bad for you at one point in history. Everything causes cancer! Is there anything we do know as fact?

I would love to hear from those that have had some success from eating a controlled carb diet. How has it affected your training? I for one, will stick this out and from time to time post my thoughts.

2009-07-22 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2298326

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Controlled Carb Diet
I eat very few carb and the carbs I do get from select vegitables.  Granted I have not done a Half Iron Man yet but I have done OK performance wise.  My longest workouts are 1.5 to 2 hours as I start to look at doing Olympic distance races or even a 70.3 I may have to make some choices. I am down 101 lbs since I started on a low carb diet as of Monday and only about 14 lbs from my original goal (possibly not low enough).  As I get closer I will need to continue to add the right carbs back into my diet from whole grains, brown rice, etc. 

Using the Atkins approach, which is what I have been doing, I will add 10 carbs back in at a time once I have hit my goal weight.  Monitor it for a week and then determine if more are necessary.  Eventually I should find my threshold for a max amount of carbs required for optimal energy and weight management. 

I will always avoid sugar like the plague and I don't see me ever eating refined or processed flour or starchy vegitables again either.  Just to many triggers in those foods and to way easy to overeat.  Besides, there is no way anyone is ever going to convince me that a baked potato has any nutritional value other than the few vitamins you get from them (skin mostly) that I cannot pick up from some other source.

Good Luck.
2009-07-22 1:33 PM
in reply to: #2298326

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Controlled Carb Diet
BTW...there is another thread that you might read that has alot of good information regarding nutrition and low-carb.  I can tell you about everthing you ever wanted to know in regards to low carbing for weight loss but the people here are much more versed in how it affects your training.  I am a newbee in that regard and the information they provided gave me lots of homework.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=169933&posts=31&start=1

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Controlled Carb Diet Rss Feed