General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Beach Triathlon 2009 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-21 1:04 PM

User image

Subject: Long Beach Triathlon 2009
Hello,

I am from Orange County California and looking to do my first sprint tri.  I've hear about the Long Beach Triathlon"  and was wondering if anyone who has participated in the Long Beach Tri would recommend it as the first triathlon to compete in? 

Do you have any advice or recommendations for me?

By the way, I'm 39 yo male and have completed 2 Marathons in the past (Long Beach & LA Marathon)

Thanks in advance.

2009-07-21 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2299090

User image

Subject: RE: Long Beach Triathlon 2009
Yeah, I think it's a good first one.   Flat water (tho kinda smelly, at least a couple years ago), couple small hills on the bike, and a nice run along the harbor.    Only iffy part (if it's still in the same location) is the driveway from the transition area to the bike start,  it's steep and narrow and they'll have you single file.  Other than that, it's a decent race 
2009-07-21 11:30 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

This was my first tri in 2006, I've done it every year since and am signed up again this year.  It's a very beginner-friendly race.  A couple of years ago it rained the night before the race and the water was pretty gross, but normally it's not too bad.

There is a somewhat steep, narrow bit at the start/finish of the bike course but it's not horrible, only about 50 yards or so.  Just make sure your bike is in an easy gear when you rack it.  Otherwise the bike course is fairly flat and wide.  The only real hills to speak of are going over the bridge from Shoreline Drive to the Queen Mary.  Two laps around.

Run course is dead flat out and back along the marina bike path.

Definitely go for it!

2009-07-21 11:56 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
I met a husband and wife at the local pool tonight that said they are doing it as their first tri too.  I thought about doing it, but don't know that I can afford the expensive entry.  Man...the price of 5k entries sure do look cheap now!
2009-07-22 12:57 PM

User image

How about the Long Beach Sprint Tri VS Los Angeles Sprint Tri.

I'm contemplating between the two, the LA tri is Oct 4th this year and would give me an additional 2 weeks to train but is there a big difference in the number of competitors to make the LA Tri to difficult to navigate for a first time Tri athlete?

TIA
2009-07-22 1:17 PM

New user

the la tri bike course and run course are very spacious, atleast they were last year.  if you're a noob and plan on being passed a lot, there's plenty of room for you to stay to the right to allow for this. 

2009-07-22 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2301890

User image

octri - 2009-07-22 10:57 AM How about the Long Beach Sprint Tri VS Los Angeles Sprint Tri.

I'm contemplating between the two, the LA tri is Oct 4th this year and would give me an additional 2 weeks to train but is there a big difference in the number of competitors to make the LA Tri to difficult to navigate for a first time Tri athlete?

TIA

Depends.   LA Tri bike course has now changed.  Still pretty wide roads, but it's a snorer.  LA Tri has the possibility of some big surf, LB guaranteed flat.  LA Tri run has a very big hill.  LB totally flat.  LA is point to point, so requires some planning. 
2009-07-22 4:00 PM

New user

I would say the Long Beach Sprint is the better first time race venue.  Just due to the amount of people at the LA Tri it would make for a more intimidating race for a first timer (but the finish line party is more fun).  I missed last year but did Long Beach in '07(The water was really nasty).  I'm doing both the Long Beach Sprint and LA Olympic this year.  Good luck and have fun which ever you choose!!!!

Patrick
2009-07-23 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2301890

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

octri - 2009-07-22 10:57 AM How about the Long Beach Sprint Tri VS Los Angeles Sprint Tri.

TIA

I'd definitely go with Long Beach rather than LA, particularly for a first tri, for two reasons:

1.  LA starts at Venice Beach.  Usually has at least some surf, and sometimes can be pretty big.   2006 was especially gnarly.  At Long Beach you probably won't have more than a foot or so of surf at the beach, and once you're in the water is really flat.  Usually the water is clean enough, it's only nasty if there's rain right before the race.

2.  LA is a point-to-point race, which means that T1 is in Venice and T2 is at Staples Center.  You've got to drop off your T2 stuff well before the race, and it will get dropped off for you.  When you come into T1, you have to pack up all of your stuff before you go off on the bike so volunteers can bring it down to the finish area.  Then when you get to T2 you have to find your run gear, and unpack it.  That's way too many moving parts for your first race.

Plus then after the race you need to go get your T1 bag, and figure out how to get you and your bike and your gear back to your car if you left it in Venice. 

At Long Beach, T1 and T2 are in the same spot, so you can set everything up just like you practiced (you did practice transitions, didn't you?), and don't have to worry about any hassle after the race, you can just relax and celebrate.

2009-07-24 1:30 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Long Beach was my first tri and 8 races later I pulled myself out of the LA Sprint because I thought I was in over my head. I'd definitely do the LB sprint. The swim is very crowded, but flat with no surf, so easy to navigate. There is a long soft-sand run from the swim to T1. I tried to run most of it and my calves got thrashed. If you have to...just walk it and save your calves for later. You've already been warned about the hill out of T1 on the bike. Just make sure your bike is geared for it and you're fine. It is steep but short and there is a long, fast downhill right after. The bike course rocks. The only hill is the Queensway Bridge that you do 4 times. It is not a bad hill at all. Beware of the speed bumps in the Queen Mary parking lot. They add an interesting obstacle. Be careful coming down the steep hill back into T2 on the bike. They have had bike accidents there. The run RULES! It is totally flat and very scenic. The only change in elevation is the stepping off a curb into a street then back up again.

I had a blast at this race and will be back this year!

Here is my overly long race report from 2007, if you're interested!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=91426
2009-07-24 3:25 PM

User image

Wow, thank you all for all of your information.  LB Tri is definitely the one im am going to sign up for.

sealiongirl, your report was terrific.  I hope to tell similar story, except for the flat tire part.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Beach Triathlon 2009 Rss Feed