United States
Vineman, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 43m 32s
Overall Rank = 1367/2286
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 202/320
Pre-race routine:

Picked up my packet and set up T2 on Saturday afternoon. It was HOT. In T2 I set out my shoes, socks, bars, gels, hat and most importantly, my long-sleeve shirt (this was a smart move). Saturday night I finish getting me gear together, eat dinner and decide to go to bed early. I could NOT fall asleep. I tried everything, nothing worked. I wasn't nervous but my mind was racing 100 MPH. I drank a beer at 12:30 AM and finally fell asleep around 1:00 or so. My friend was there to pick me up at the agreed upon 4:30 AM time. I woke up at 4:33 AM. Not good!
Event warmup:

None really, we parked, I walked to T1, visited the restroom, set out my gear and suited up and walked down to the start. I only had about 3 or 4 minutes in the water before the gun went off. Just enough time to stick my face in the water. It was nice and warm.
Swim
  • 52m
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Am I really that slow? :) The first half of the swim didn't feel that great, not sure why. I didn't have time to warm up. In fact, you only have 6 minutes between waves so if you're going to swim you have to do it then. Also, my wave was one of the largest so it was very crowded. I didn't feel comfortable at all, the water was warm, it didn't taste right and I didn't feel streamlined at all. About half way up to the turn around, I got passed by the first wave at the turn around, I got passed by the second wave (after mine). Oh boy, I'm REALLY slow. Just then the sun came out, I got my second wind and it certainly felt a lot easier and a lot shorter on the return leg. As usual, I get to T1 and there are only about 5 bikes left in my area.
What would you do differently?:

I didn't feel that bad, I sighted OK and my breathing was OK, I guess I'm just slow and need to work on my speed. I felt proud that I was able to do it though considering I learned to swim freestyle last Spring. I wasn't nervous at the start but I got a little nervous when passed by the white caps in the wave after mine.
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

My spot was the right of the exit chute so I had to run the entire length of T1 to get out of there. I couldn't have been farther away. I decided to just wear my shoes in T1 and mounted the bike at the top of the little hill. Felt fine.

I packed way too much food in my pockets. I didn't eat half of it but I was afraid my blood sugar would get low and then I'd be DONE.
Bike
  • 3h 10m 23s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt pretty comfortable on the bike considering the amount of riding I've been doing lately (not enough). I also broke a major rule and installed a new saddle 2 days before the race due to some problems I've been having with the ole undercarriage. Luckily, it was fantastic. I love that saddle. I made sure to avoid any drafting situations but did slingshot around a few people. Felt great up Canyon but probably slowed down a bit too much in anticipation of Chalk Hill. It didn't seem as bad as it did during my training ride.

I was shooting for 3 hours but I probably went too slow on Chalk Hill. Just have to put in more mileage. I'm sure I can knock some time off next year. I may even have a tri bike by then.
Transition 2
  • 04m 54s
Comments:

I noticed it was VERY hot in T2. I was lucky to have gotten an early wave start. I don't do well in the heat at all. It's a long run from dismount to my rack and as I'm running, I notice I have about a pound of food bouncing around in my shirt. I carried way too much food! I put on socks and shoes and changed shirts into my long-sleeve running shirt (great move).

Not carry so much food, practice leaving shoes clipped in though I really don't think it would have saved much time (if any).
Run
  • 2h 31m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

It was brutally hot, hot, hot. Luckily I wore a long-sleeved shirt and white cap or I would have been FRIED. I doused myself with whatever water I could find on the course. I walked through each aid station and luckily they had one at every mile. All of the stations were well stocked and volunteers were working hard for us. Special thanks to the "hose girl" at about mile 4 and the "sunscreen guy". The misters at LaCrema were a nice touch too. The last 3 miles were a sufferfest.

Not much I could have done. I just don't do well in the heat in part due to my size. Let me just say, "it was HOT". I'm going to give my run an "average" score due to the heat.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to not pass out in front of my wife and daughter and found some shade. After a few minutes I was able to eat and drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This is my 5th triathlon and my first past the sprint distance. Not ideal I know but I had a great time and I'm glad I did it. I had a few set-backs over the summer with severe allergies during May and June and also a death in the family. I'm glad I didn't abandon the idea of doing this race.

I'm sure more swim training and practice is a good idea. I'm now comfortable in the water and I know I can cover the distance now I just need to improve my technique and conditioning to get faster.

The run was hard. I'm sure I could have 10 minute miles with cooler temps as I felt pretty good coming off the bike and my legs felt good as well. No tightness in the quads. I got my running legs pretty quickly.

Event comments:

volunteers were outstanding, especially on the run course. The one volunteer that wasn't cool was the old lady who grabbed a fistful of my shirt at the check-in saturday because I came in through the wrong door. She may as well have pulled me out the door by my ear! Sorry gram'ma, it was an honest mistake!

Great having so many aid stations, it made a huge difference. Very well supported. Nice finishers medal, water bottle and shirt.

Last updated: 2009-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:52:00 | 2112 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/320
Overall: 1811/2286
Performance: Average
This is just an estimate because the swim and T1 are combined.
Suit: Full Zoot Fuzion
Course: Out and back rectangular course upstream and then downstream with buoys on the left. Shallow water in many places and very warm compared to where I normally swim.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:10:23 | 56 miles | 17.65 mile/hr
Overall: 1314/2286
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Circular loop, lots of rolling hills, only a few sections could be considered flat. Some blind turns and lots of rough patches on Westside Road.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:31:03 | 13.1 miles | 11m 32s  min/mile
Overall: 1269/2286
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back course, a little shade and few rollers. Run through La Crema was on dirt and was a nice change.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-21 3:28 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
Subject: Vineman Ironman 70.3

2009-07-21 6:06 PM
in reply to: #2299605

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: RE: Vineman Ironman 70.3
Sounds like you had a good first HIM, congrats!!!  Changing the saddle 2 days prior...wow, risky move, glad it paid off for you.  I hope to see you on the course next year! 
2009-07-21 6:08 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
Thanks abbie, loved your race report. I'll be at vineman next year for sure.

I assume you're doing tiburon this week, if so, I'll look for you.
2009-07-21 6:27 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Hey Jeff,
Great race, I hear ya on the heat factor! Good job on the swim, especially with only 1 year of swimming!!! I loved the hose "guy"! I guess by the time I got to that aid station, a guy had taken over. I want to try this one again and beat my time, too!
Way to stay tough and keep moving forward!
2009-07-21 10:55 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Congrats on the first HIM!
2009-07-21 11:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Excellent job out there!   Congratulations on the finish - I liked the RR too.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed