Vineman, Inc.
100F / 38C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 38m 24s
Overall Rank = 1326/2286
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 373/769
Pre-race routine:

Tried to eat some powerbar and had some gatorade. My husband and my brother-in-law came with me to the race start which was nice since I had a ton of pre-race nerves. I am usually not as nervous and I have done this race before but for some reason I was all butterflies on race morning.
Event warmup:

Very quick dunk in the river while waiting for my age group to start.
Swim
  • 44m 55s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Actually this was a good swim for me. I had some shoulder issues the last couple of weeks before the race but remembered to watch my form and tried my best to draft - unfortunately I couldn't really find anyone that was going at the pace I wanted so mostly I just swam on my own. Water was pretty hot though - especially for those of us in the later waves but since I am not a great swimmer I decided to wear a wetsuit.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 was slow (not sure how long since the times are not yet separate from the swim) - I normally run into T1 from the swim but this was more of a jog since the path into T1 was narrow - and really I am not going to knock people out of the way just so I can save 5 seconds! After getting out of T1 I pedalled up the little hill (easy gear and quicker than running up it would be - helps that my other races this yrar at Bonelli in San Dimas also have a similar hill out of transition!)

Wipe my feet better! After I finished the run and took my socks off I noticed I had 2 huge bits of gravel in my shoes!
Bike
  • 3h 09m 21s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out well - had to hang back a little to make sure I wasn't drafting since there were so many people on the road at the same time I was starting but eventually it thinned out. I had a pretty good time on the bike for the first 40 miles - passing some people and being passed but mostly in my zone. Did get a little pain where the timing chip was rubbing against my ankle but it was manageable. By mile 40 though I was hot and flagging in the heat - Chalk Hill was not bad (well it wouldn't have been since I was in my easiest gear) and then at least I could tell myself I was almost done. Tried to be encouraging to other riders and also slowed down to ensure that someone was calling for help for a rider who looked like he had taken a corner too fast and was lying in a ditch and holding his arm (there was another rider stopped and also a woman in a car had called for help). I don't think I lost any time with slowing down and let's face it I would want someone to check I was OK if I had fallen).

I don't think there is much I could do differently - I felt good, paced well but it just started to get hot out there.
Transition 2
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

Uggghhh T2 was slow. Again I really wanted to run into T2 and felt I had the energy but it was a narrow chute to get in and the people in front of me were walking - so I couldn't run until we got to the grass area!

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 40m 44s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh my god - I so wanted to quit in the first mile! I was so hot (even though I had taken in some gatorade and water at T2) - it was an effort to keep going. Funny thing is I suddenly looked up and I was already at Mile 1 - somehow realizing that I had just internally been bitching about the run for 1 mile made me realize that I could keep going for another 12.1! Also helped that I made a promise to myself that I would run in between the aid stations and when I got to the aid station I would walk. This I guess worked just fine since I did finish run! I took ice, gatorade, water and lots of lovely RC Cola at each aid station (no gels or solid food though since my stomach just hated that idea). Talked to lots of people on the course - tried to be encouraging to people who looked like they were struggling and just kept plodding on. It was so hot (my husband's car had the temperature at 110 degrees which I can believe!) Turn around at La Crema was great - mile 6-7 was the easiest for me and then I was heading back around. Last 2 miles were the hardest as my legs were beginning to get cramps. As I entered the finisher area my husband passed me the Scottish flag so I ran in with that. (Yes I am Scottish - by way of Lakewood CA as the race announcer pointed out!)

Get lucky next time and have an earlier start with less sun!
I tried my best and to be honest I was glad to just finish - I really thought I was even slower but I guess that was just the heat playing games with me!
Post race
Warm down:

Dumping water over my head, getting finisher photo taken!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat.

Event comments:

I love the 1/2 vineman - volunteers and race staff are awesome. The course is beautiful and the racers are really nice. Next time though I want to come back and race when the weather is not so hot!

Last updated: 2009-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:55 | 2112 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/769
Overall: 0/2286
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen
Course: Out and back on Russian River.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:09:21 | 56 miles | 17.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/769
Overall: 0/2286
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills, reasonably technical course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average