General Discussion Race Reports! » Gravenhurst Triathlon - Give-It-A-Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gravenhurst Triathlon - Give-It-A-Tri - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Gravenhurst, Ontario
Canada
MultiSport Canada Inc.
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 01m 42s
Overall Rank = 137/199
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and had some instant oatmeal, fruit, and juice. Should of had a coffee! Drove from Cottage to Race. Forgot Tire pump. Cursed pump, self and rain. Borrowed pump from nice man in parking lot. Way less stressed after that.
Event warmup:

I probably should have done that.
Swim
  • 21m 34s
  • 437 yards
  • 04m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I learned some very valuable lessons about wet suits. They need to fit, they need to be designed to swim in, and most importantly you should at least try to swim in the thing before the actual triathlon. Things went well until i started to get winded and realized that i couldnt breathe. Then I ended up about 50 yards off course. I almost admitted defeat until I hung onto the kayak for a min or so. Still couldnt catch my breath but got focused and got a rhythm going. Almost made it to finish line when gogles got Knocked off, thank god for the second kayak. I crawled out of the water and could barely stand. How I didnt drown, I will never know. Once I got that wet suit undone it was the greatest feeling of relief I have ever felt... The best lung full I have ever had!!! I still cant believe I am alive!!! Just finishing that swim was likely the most physically demanding thing I have ever done.
What would you do differently?:

I would NOT wear a sailing wet suit in a triathlon. Ya apparently sailing and tri suites are different... go figure
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

I got my socks and running shoes on and still hadnt caught my breath from the swim.
Bike
  • 23m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 15.66 mile/hr
Comments:

STILL had not caught my breath from the swim when I got on the bike... The uphill at the beginning was not welcomed. Once I got the first km in I started to feel good and was passing everyone I could. I was slower than normal but was happy that I was not getting cpr in the bottom of a boat somewhere. The rather long hill after the turnaround made me feel alive and the rest of the ride was awesome. I think I was maybe still delirious from oxygen deprivation.

maybe take some of the corners a little faster and harder. I was a little sheepish because there where still a few wet spots but looking back they where not that bad.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

I was in my running shoes so t2 was as fast as could be.

run faster with bike, but the bike was actually holding me up for a while so I dont know if that would be possible.
Run
  • 12m 29s
  • 1.55 miles
  • 08m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was ironically the best part. My goal was 12 mins 30 sec and that is what I ran!!!

Set the bar higher... i achieved my goal so next time I want to go FASTER!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Got big huggs and kisses from my 4 and 2 year old girls, who then proceeded to eat most of the fruit and bagel I got from the food tent... They are awesome!!! Daddy's little cheerleaders!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim almost killed me, I spent most of the bike recovering from that. I need to be better prepared for the swim.

Event comments:

It was my first triathlon and was an amazing experience at an awesome location. Everything that went wrong was my own fault and I learned some very good lessons. Even though 2 mins into the swim I was thinking "WHAT AM I DOING??!?!?!" and spent most of the next 20 mins just trying not to drown I am so happy I did it. I can not wait untill my next tri... Orillia, then maybe Lakeside or guelph lake... I think I might just be hooked... or crazy?

Last updated: 2009-07-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:34 | 437 yards | 04m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/11
Overall: 195/199
Performance: Bad
Suit: Borrowed wetsuit that was too small
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:23:48 | 06.21 miles | 15.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 69/199
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: out and back... nice up hill near the start... rolling with a steeper hill near the turnaround
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:12:29 | 01.55 miles | 08m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/11
Overall: 0/199
Performance: Good
Course: out and back... uphill out
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-21 7:43 PM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
Subject: Gravenhurst Triathlon - Give-It-A-Tri
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gravenhurst Triathlon - Give-It-A-Tri Rss Feed