General Discussion Race Reports! » Bricks MultiSport Team Invitational Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bricks MultiSport Team Invitational Tri - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Smyrna, Delaware
United States
Bricks Multisport
73F / 23C
Total Time = 1h 12m 35s
Overall Rank = 28/125
Age Group = Overall Female
Age Group Rank = 3/45
Pre-race routine:

Woke @ 4:30 after not sleeping well at all (pre-race jitters ;)). Had a little cereal w/soy milk, a piece of toast w/honey, and a little coffee. Off to Smyrna, DE. Banana @ 6:30 and a gu right before the race.
Event warmup:

Found all my BT friends and stood around and talked about the race :) Secretly scoped out all the women to see what my chances were to get an overall award ;) Oh, and a quick 5 minute swim to try and get that initial 200m of swimming where I feel like I can't breathe out of my system - since this was only a 400m swim!!
Swim
  • 08m 49s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm a slow swimmer... there are so many things to think about when swimming in a race that I never seem to be able to focus on pulling, floating hips, etc. My swim times in the pool are sooo much faster than this!

I was about 8-10th woman out of the water, glad I got it over with and it was time to pass some ladies on the bike!!
What would you do differently?:

I think I should have worn a wetsuit...
Transition 1
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Finally got a quick T-time! I rehearsed this soooo many times in my head.
Bike
  • 38m 2s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 20.82 mile/hr
Comments:

16 mph winds!

Passed about 5 girls on the bike within the first 3 miles then all I saw were guys - where were the other girls!! I knew I wasn't in first but had no idea where they were. Drank my magic juice on the bike and just kept hammering away. Legs were burning but to quote the guy from the Tour de France that I saw on TV last night: "When your make your whole body hurt, you know your good!" (hehe). I figured it's only a 3.1 mile run so burning on the bike is a-okay!
What would you do differently?:

It took me forever to clip in.. standing still at the mount line sucks! I was worried with all the sand that putting the shoes on the bike would be a bad idea - next time - shoes on bike!
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I forgot to take my feet out of my shoes while riding. It was a little chaotic right before the dismount (the guy in front of my tried to stop and turn into the run out area...) so I totally forgot. Still I managed to make this one quick to - no dilly-dallying! In, out no thinking required. No socks.

I don't know where they did their splits for the T-times but it seemed off to me. My watch said I did the 5k in 23:14...
Run
  • 23m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Still no idea how many girls were in front of me but as I ran out of T2, a spectator said "You're in THIRD!!" I was like HOLY SH!!!T!!! Lets goooooo! So I just ran as fast as I could and prayed that I had put enough of a gap between me and the girls I passed back on the bike that they wouldn't catch me on the run.

I got to cheer on a bunch of other BTers on the run course which was cool - they were encouraging too. I passed Skip and he told me to go catch Andy so I kept running as hard as I could. Got to about the 2.5 mile mark and saw Andy up ahead. As I came up behind him he said "Christy, is that you?? I'm going to kick your knees out", I said "you have to catch me first" (well no, I didn't really say that... that was too many words and I had no extra oxygen; I was DIEING!!!) I looked behind me - no girls in sight but I didn't want any surprises at the end so I kicked it out like I had someone right there hunting me down.

I crossed the finish line - did I really just get 3rd place OVERALL!! I was stoked! I don't know if the 23:54 or the 23:14 was my actual 5k time but either way it was a PR over the 24:05 I did last weekend. I think I need to treat those local races like the last leg of a triathlon and maybe I'll run a little faster - or just save the PRs for the triathlons like I seem to always do...
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with the BTers and some ATC folks. Packed up my stuff, drank looooots of water.

Had the most awesome moment when they announced my name for 3rd place Overall Female and all the BTers started yelling and cheering :) I felt like a rockstar :)

Event comments:

The volunteers at the race were not very well instructed on what to do... they didn't point out the turns until you were at the turn (which when going 21+ mph on a bike, you need some warning!), the little girl I tried to grab the water from had no idea how to hold the cup and I couldn't grab it.. no biggie since I was just going to pour it on my head but it could have been very bad. It was an inaugural race so I attribute all my complaints w/the volunteers and such to that.

Last updated: 2009-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:49 | 440 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 12/45
Overall: 60/125
Performance: Average
Avg 148, Max 162
Suit: None
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:02 | 13.2 miles | 20.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/45
Overall: 23/125
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:54 | 03.11 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/45
Overall: 32/125
Avg 178, Max 187
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-07-22 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glen Burnie, MD
Subject: Bricks MultiSport Team Invitational Tri

2009-07-22 9:09 PM
in reply to: #2301721

Pro
yep,
Subject: RE: Bricks MultiSport Team Invitational Tri

I think thats the same little girl that I wanted to punch in the face for her comment.  Great job on the race.  I gotta practice some Transitions with ya.  Mine are super slow.  Maybe there was some shock tops in T1 and T2 for me

2009-07-23 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2301721

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Subject: RE: Bricks MultiSport Team Invitational Tri
Great job Rockstar!!!

I'll see if I can get your podium shot up on here when I get home tonight.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bricks MultiSport Team Invitational Tri Rss Feed