Vineman, Inc.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 57m 43s
Overall Rank = 847/2286
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 134/320
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am, had a bagel and coffee. Got to T1 about 6am in plenty of time to set up and be ready for my wave at 6:43.
Event warmup:

nothing more than walking around.
Swim
  • 30m 15s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

great course and with slight current going out. No real issues during the swim other than had toe cramps for about 30% of the swim. Had to kick with one leg and try to stretch the toes without stopping. I think I could hit below 30 min without the cramps. Overall pretty happy with the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing much.
Transition 1
  • 05m 44s
Comments:

This was my second tri so not an expert by any stretch in transition. In my first tri (oly), I had trouble getting my socks on. Read to put them on pre-race and then roll them down so they easily roll back on. Of course I put them on upside down so had to roll up, roll down roll up for both feet. Dumb. Given the long distance to where to mount the bike, one cleat got junk in it so it took time to clean it out and get on with the ride

practice
Bike
  • 3h 01m
  • 56 miles
  • 18.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Great course. I have ridden it before so know the rolling hills. Unfortunately, I was the rider just in front of the guy who got crushed by the falling tree. I was 20-30 seconds ahead of him, heard a loud crash and then someone screaming. Very unsettling. I thought he had gone off into the bushes. I started back to help but then saw many riders helping so I figured he was ok. Did not learn until after the race that he had been hit by a tree. In any case, I followed my nutrition plan (multi hour perpetuem bottle and water). It worked great. No issues and no cramping. I had a road bike without areo bars and could tell I was at a speed disadvantage. At a minimum, will need to get areo bars or commit to a tri-bike (have to work on the wife on this one).

I live in the Oakland hills and therefore spend alot of time climbing hills. I focused on time in the saddle rather than miles. While my endurance was fine and had no issue with the race mileage, I could tell I am not as fast as I should be. I plan to focus on more flat rides where I can get mileage and speed training.
Transition 2
  • 04m 21s
Comments:

Felt good coming into t2. I picked up my cadence for the last 15 minutes of the bide ride so my legs were not too bad. Noticed, however, that the heat was going to be a big issue on the run. It was boiling in T2. No problem getting the running shoes on but had to stop at the potty.

Not much that practice will not help
Run
  • 2h 15m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Hot, Hot, Hot. I had not trained for this heat. I expected to be under 2 hours on the run but knew within a mile that it was going to be a long day. My legs felt reasonably good at the start and by mile 3, I was in a grove. But I was melting. From mile 3 or 4, the tree coverage gave way and it was like a death march. Noticing more and more people walking or stopping. I stuck with my plan to run the full course but walk through the aid stations. I am not good drinking from a cup while running and given the heat, knew I need to get as much water as possible. For nutrition, I felt my ride consumption prepared me for the run. I took 3 electrolyte pills at the beginning which I think saved me. Had water for the first 5 miles and then had a gu. Tried drinking Gatorade but started to feel a bit bloated so went back to water. Had 3 more electrolyte pills at the turn around point and another gu at mile 10. Did not bonk on the run so I think my nutrition plan worked great. The last 4 miles or so where tough. Basically just focused on the next mileage marker or aid station as the heat was making me miserable. But I finished, slower than I wanted, but I ran the whole way (other than aid stations). Overall, happy with the result

I need to build a more stable running base. I started my HIM training with no running base so did not want to push my volume and then suffer an injury. Starting from my current base, I should be able to improve my endurance and speed.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to stay on my feet and not lie down. Walked around slowly for about 30 minutes before sitting down and eating a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the heat.

Event comments:

Very well organized with very supportive race volunteers. Overall a great race.

Last updated: 2009-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:15 | 2112 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/320
Overall: 0/2286
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:01:00 | 56 miles | 18.56 mile/hr
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:15:38 | 13.1 miles | 10m 21s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-22 2:20 PM

New user

Subject: Vineman Ironman 70.3

2009-07-24 5:47 PM
in reply to: #2302123

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: Vineman Ironman 70.3
Very impressive! You should be thrilled with this ,,,,I would be!
2009-07-25 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2306747

New user

Subject: RE: Vineman Ironman 70.3
thanks.  I am thrilled and starting to think what's next
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed