Musselman Triathlon
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 19m 44s
Overall Rank = 157/800
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/45
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:45 am and out of bed by 4 am. I didn't sleep very well, mostly due to race nerves but also because I slept in a twin bed and not next to Tim. Wasn't exactly motivated to get up, but I eventually knew it was time to rip off the covers and get moving. Donned the tri suit, put in pig tails, and forced down a bagel with PB. Left the house with Brad, Kristin, and Tim at 4:55 am and at race site slightly after 5 am. Met Heidi and Nate down there in the parking lot closest to TA. Set up transition and heard Tim's tire blow, as he was the rack in front of mine and to the left. I had worried about that since pumping his tires the day before and braking off the screw-cap on the stem before our ride. We all set up and then walked the bags back to the car, got our chips, and hung around until it was time to put on wet suits and head to the water.
Event warmup:

Swam about 1 minute out to the start line.
Swim
  • 30m 16s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

Actually had a strong swim, despite thinking that I was only swimming sub-par during the race. Immediately at the start, I got clocked a few times and had to come up for air. For some reason, I felt that this was one of the most physical swims I have been in (minus the IM). My wave had men 19-29 and women 19-29, so I don't know if that is why. Perhaps I was around mostly men and thrown around a bit. Regardless, the water was choppy for the first 300 meters or so, to the turn buoy. Then there was some side waves, but not as bad as the first part. Continued to get smacked around until we hit the channel. Then I had mostly open water and also found some feet to draft off of. The smell was rancid, but at least it was clear water. I saw the ramp for the exit and accelerated to reach it. Stood up at the last possible moment and started to run. Heard my parents scream for me, and I headed into T1 feeling really good.
What would you do differently?:

Well, despite getting beat up a bit, I did swim really well. Maybe it does help to be in the thick of people instead of always searching for that open water. I'm not much for drafting usually.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Considering I had the 16th fastest T1 overall, I was really happy with my performance here. I ran while squirming my wet suit as far down as I could get it, right below my butt, and then I stopped to strip it off. Picked it up and sprinted to my TA. Helmet on, sunglasses on while wiping my feet on the towel. Then shoes quickly on and grabbed bike. I was super quick today! First T1 time in my AG, 3rd female.

Nada.
Bike
  • 2h 54m 7s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Mounted the bike and then took off. My HR was really high from the get-go; about 167-169. Tried to back off and let myself settle in, but the HR wouldn't go down. Decided to say screw it and rode at what felt like a pace I could manage for 56 miles. I think I know my body well enough for this distance that I can be pretty aggressive and still have some left for the run. Just went with it from there on out to mile 56 and hoped that my gut instincts would be right.

The first 45 minutes or so I felt pretty horrible. My inner quads were on fire. Luckily I think it was mostly from pushing through the headwind, because making a right turn onto different road relieved the pain, and all of a sudden I was on my game and flying. Passed a few horse 'n buggies, which was neat, and picked up a lot of speed on the tailwind section. Hammered as hard as I could here...why not, its free speed! Got back into a groove and kept pushing. My bike computer was going crazy pretty much the whole ride, so I had no clue really what kinds of speeds I was holding. At mile 40, I crunched the numbers and figured I was averaging slightly over 19 mph. Was happy with that.

Then we hit the park, where the road was bad (but not as bad as I had imagined). There was some wind through this section, and a lot of bumps/holes/etc that you had to navigate through. A lot of people slowed down back here, but I tried to maintain pace and pass whoever I could. Reached the end of the park around mile 48 and then knew I had 8 miles left. Picked it up and headed home.

Perhaps try to push the envelope a little more and go a bit harder. Not sure how this would have effected the run, though.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Ended up dismounting extremely early, so I had to run more than I really should have. No biggie. Took my helmet off as soon as I made the turn toward my rack. Then got thrown off at where my bike should be. When I had set up the TA earlier in the morning, and also when I left for the swim start, there was a huge empty space to the left of my bike. Looked like people had decided not to race. Well, I was looking for empty space when in reality people had set up their area after I had already left for the swim. Was totally confused and had to back track to find my rack space.

After I finally found my area, I was totally fast. Put on my shoes and socks, grabbed the visor, water bottle, and race belt, and took off running while getting all of that stuff situated.

Note: I put vaseline on the inside of my socks, and it was heavenly! No blisters!!!

Start my Garmin on the bike. I forgot to do this, and so I struggled to get the watch on and get a GPS signal. Missed the first mile on the run.
Run
  • 1h 52m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Saw my parents and Dan and Ally as I started the run. Good to see familiar faces! Started the run too fast, like usual. Let myself have the first mile fast before settling in. Then, found a comfortable pace and ran. Mile 2 was extremely long, and although my Timex read 9:10 for this lap, my Garmin showed a pace around 8:30 (yes, I wore two watches for the run, as I wanted to have the Garmin to see my pace). So I stayed at that pace and kept moving. Mile 3 was tough, as there was a grassy uphill, in someone's backyard, that was just too steep to run. Decided it would do me no benefit to run it, so I walked up it and then started running once I hit the road again. From mile 1 to mile 7 it was net uphill. Some small rollers, with one large climb in at mile 7. But I felt really strong during these miles and I had spectators yell, "You look great, girl." and "You look so strong," which mentally, totally helped to keep me on pace. I coaxed myself to run up the gravel road at mile 7. At one point, there was a guy walking and when I passed him, he started running. I was far left on the road, and as he ran, he kept drifting left and almost pushed me off of the road. I am hoping he was just bonking a bit and not being a hole.

I assumed the uphills would stop at mile 7, but I was wrong. After a downhill mile 8, you had to climb back up to the main street. Miles 10 to 13 were flat and I continued to feel good.

Around mile 9.5, I noticed the girl who was significantly in front of me had slowed down. I used her as my carrot and willed myself to catch her. Succeeded by mile 10.5 and then told myself I had to pick it up so that she didn't pass me back. She never passed me back, and I headed for the home stretch. Kept my eyes out for Kristin and Nate, but I was almost hoping I didn't see them because that meant they were both having a good race. I started crunching numbers at mile 11 and knew if I had two more sub-9 minute miles, I would break 5 hrs 20 minutes.

Took two colas, one at mile 7 and then one at mile 11, which I actually stopped to drink the last one. Also stopped around mile 8 to fill up my water bottle.

Not too much. I felt really good throughout the race. Only thing I would have done is grabbed some sponges to wipe my face off with.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line and greeted by Tim. Signed up for a massage and walked over to say hello to my parents.

Event comments:

You cannot beat racing with our group of friends. Any race that we can all be at (sorry we missed Craig) is worth doing, no matter the venue or distance. Racing with these people is one of the best things about triathlons.

The only negatron things I have to comment on:
(1) they ran out of pizza
(2) the woman who checked me in at packet pick up was mean to me.

Last updated: 2009-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:16 | 1931 meters | 01m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/45
Overall: 30/800
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:18
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:54:07 | 56 miles | 19.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/45
Overall: 31/800
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:52:38 | 13.1 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/45
Overall: 0/800
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-22 3:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

2009-07-22 6:43 PM
in reply to: #2302355

User image

Veteran
Reston
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon
Super race!! Your times were smokin'! Bummer we didn't see eachother out there, but it was still great to start and end the day with you. And yes, that lady was super mean...even to me in the ice cream line! Looking forward to seeing your strong results for the rest of your season.
2009-07-22 8:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
girl you have gotten so fast!!! you are going to be at kona before you know it
2009-07-23 12:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

fabulous race.  congrats on the PR and it was great watching you finish. 

2009-07-24 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
way to go laura! you are flying out there.

the whole weekend was lots of fun. looking forward to more races!
2009-07-25 1:24 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Great job Laura!  I enjoyed your RR and am stunned at your speed!!!  You rock it girl!

2009-07-26 1:06 PM

User image

Niskayuna, NY

fantastic job out there as always!

2009-08-03 8:49 AM

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
sub 5:20 is awesome.  do you drink sodas often at the races?  I see there are offered but never sure about the carbonation thing.

anyway, might try the vaseline thing!    congrats.

Charlie2
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Rss Feed