Midwest Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 4s
Overall Rank = 67/274
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/30
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30am to the sound of my 3 month old being very hungry, fed him and slept a little more until my brother woke me up around 5:10ish. Had half a bagel with peanut butter, honey, and banana. Delicious. Also had a little coffee just to help wake up. Got all packed up and headed to the course.
Event warmup:

Set up transition area (forgot towel, but my brother loaned me one), went and got marked up. Checked where my transition area was in relation to the swim exit a few times. Went for a warm-up jog with my brother and a friend. Hit up the bathroom which is alway fun in a tri-suit. Then went for a short warm-up bike ride with my brother. Got back in time for the pre-race meeting. Didn't do any swim warm-up because it was a little cold and I felt like being a wuss.
Swim
  • 15m
  • 586 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm such a bad swimmer and I hate it. I don't hate swimming, I just hate being a bad swimmer. I only list my performance as average because it was average for my typical performance. I went out stronger than I usually do, which is what I wanted. But I don't swim to well in splashy groups, so I end up popping up to catch my breath too often. I only shaved 20 seconds off last years swim, and last year I did 50% breast stroke. At least this year it was all crawl, but where's the improvement?
What would you do differently?:

I need coaching. I could've done more training in the pool, that would help, but overall I just need someone who knows what they're doing to look at my form. I know its needs a lot of work, but I don't think I can teach myself how to fix it. So much of swimming is form. But I'll get better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Exiting the water, I waited until my fingers touched the ground before I stood up. Much better. Last race I got up early and I think it wore me out for the rest of the race. Ran quickly to my spot. Felt like I was a little drunk getting on my gear, but I'm pleased with my time. Ran well with my bike and hopped on quickly.

My shoes don't lend themselves to be left in the clips. So eventually I'll have some shoes that will allow me to strap in while riding. With plenty of practice, that could improve my time. But I'm pleased with T1. I practiced it enough and it payed off.
Bike
  • 49m 16s
  • 16 miles
  • 19.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Great race. Everything went pretty well. Felt strong throughout. Conserved just a little strength for the run. Got up to 30mph a few extended times. I really enjoyed passing so many people. With the way the waves are set up, you end up passing by a lot of folks throughout the entire race (at least when you're near the last wave). That's always a plus.

I'd like to average over 20mph. I enjoy cycling, but with a new baby and a 2.5 year old I needed to help out around the house plenty and can't go out for hours on end on my bike. Next year they'll both be older and maybe I can get in some more rides. Either way, I'm very pleased with the results.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Practicing getting my feet out of my shoes and hopping off the moving bike really paid off. I think my hop off the bike was as good as it could have been. Ran quickly back to my spot. Racking my bike took a little bit of time because some of the bikes had shifted and there was someone on the other side of the bar who I didn't want to hit in the head. I had to stomp a few extra times to get my feet in my shoes correctly, but I think I was also taking a little mini breather too.

I flew out of T2. Which to start a 5k is a good thing, in my book. But I got a small cramp in my side and a stinger in my shoulder after about 1/4 of a mile. That was lame.
Run
  • 21m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was great. My brother-in-law got out of T2 a little ahead of me. I was able to get him in my sights quickly and catch him up the hill. Getting started felt tough, especially with that big hill in the mix. I kept pushing myself up the hill, felt like I had a good pace by the time I reached the top of the hill.

I think I took it too easy coming down the hill. It's a lot easier for me to push myself when I see people to pass. By the end of the run, it was pretty spread out around me. No one ahead or behind seemed too close and I think I stopped pushing myself as hard. Next year I'd like to get under 20 minutes which would be tough.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much other than hanging around, talking, drinking water and gatorade. Some day I might actually do some sort of warm-down. But for now I'll consider myself young and stupid.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I did about the best I could to my ability. I'll swim faster once I learn how. But other than swimming, just putting in more time for running and cycling and I should see improvement.

Event comments:

I love the Chaska Tri and I'd like to come back every year. Great level of organization. Perfect number of people racing. Feels relaxed and yet competitive. All volunteers will cheer you on and that feels great.

Last updated: 2009-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:00 | 586 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/30
Overall: 194/274
Performance: Below average
Suit: Blue 2XU Tri-Suit
Course: One loop in a small pond around buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:09
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:16 | 16 miles | 19.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/30
Overall: 57/274
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Big loop. As most will say, fells like the first 3/4 is all uphill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:17 | 03.11 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/30
Overall: 36/274
Course: Run up a mile long fairly steep hill, turn around with about a 3 block loop, head back down the hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-22 4:39 PM

Subject: Chaska River City Days Triathlon

2009-07-25 10:22 PM
in reply to: #2302456

User image

Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
Subject: RE: Chaska River City Days Triathlon
Looks like you had a great race, don't worry about the swimming, it will come around with a little extra work!  I am sure I'll see you out there next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chaska River City Days Triathlon Rss Feed