United States
Musselman Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 38s
Overall Rank = 5/297
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/43
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to NY on Friday w/ Dan. Got up semi-early (not too early becauase thankfully the race didn't start until9am), went and picked up packets and then drove over to the race site. Drank coffee and ate some breakfast in the car.

Walked from parking area over to transition, got body marked, picked up chip and set up transition.
Event warmup:

Took the bike out a few miles w/ Dan. Was a good idea to preview the first couple miles on the bike, as we took an unexpected turn and had to off road it a little bit (luckily they had put mats down). Made sure everything was ok in transition and put wetsuit on half way, then walked down to swim start w/ Dan.
Swim
  • 09m 55s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

Was really nervous before this race and took it out way too fast. Realized this about 300m into the swim and really backed off my legs but by that point the damage had been done. Disappointed in myself for not sticking to the plan and taking it out at a cruising pace and then picking it up at each buoy. Even if it would have resulted in a slower swim time, I would have rather raced this portion the way I had planned than to have fallen apart towards the end of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Stick to my plan and try to back half the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Popped out of water and jogged towards transition, was trying to not run hard but you know how it is. Was able to get my wetsuit down to my waist long before getting to my spot (easy to do because my bike was racked towards the back of transition). I did slip on my wetsuit while I was trying to remove my ankle but I caught myself on the way down and it was actually easier to get off while I was near the ground, so that worked out. The bike exit was a little congested and one girl slipped and went down right in the exit chute, which cause a little bit of a back up. Other than that things went pretty smoothly.

OA: 7
AG: 3

Go back to the old way of taking off my wetsuit to avoid further falls.
Bike
  • 47m 36s
  • 16.1 miles
  • 20.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Single file on the way out of transition had about five of us all bunched up. Two bikers went down right infront of me while turning on the small "off road" portion, just missed being a part of the pile up. Both bikers were ok. Windy when I got out on the course. Pushed myself and tried to stay in control of the bike. Very excited and on guard because this was the first time on the new bike. SO HAPPY w/ racing on it! Bike was pretty uneventful, just tried to push myself and stay vertical. Same single file issues on the way back into transition. Probably cost me 10-20sec total.

Just keep getting more miles on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Had some trouble running w/ the bike and then turning right (since I hold the bike on the left side). Tried to not run too hard. Got to my spot and realized that the woman who's transition spot was adjacent to mine, hung her wetsuit right where I needed to rack my bike. Luckily, we had extra spots on our rack (due to no shows), so I racked a little further down...just was super annoyed. Maybe it shouldn't have bothered me but I just felt it was really inconsiderate.

OA: 12
AG: 4
Run
  • 23m 37s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt different coming off the bike but in a good way. Got a large boost of energy when I ran past Dan's family. They were so loud it scared me because I didn't see them infront of me. It was so cool that they were at the race. Pace felt ok but breathing got worse as the distance went on, people even turned around to look out me because I was so loud. About .25 out the guy next to me starting cheering for me and telling me that I could totally pick it up and finish hard. I don't know who he was but I was so thankful to be running next to him. I was hurting and needed a little outside support. I feel like this is one of the many reasons why triathlon is such a great sport, I mean what other sport does that really happen in?

Start training the run at a higher heartrate. This has become a steady trend this summer.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and found Dan and fam. I can't express how thankful I was that they came out to watch. So happy that they got to see Dan race, I know that it really meant a lot to both of us.

Good food after the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Breathing on the run, more time needed on the bike.

Event comments:

Superbly run race! Has to be one of the best races I've ever been too. The race directors and volunteers really did a great job with this one! Would love to do this race again.

Last updated: 2009-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:55 | 750 meters | 01m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/43
Overall: 1/297
Performance: Average
Point to point. From lake up the canal.
Suit: 2XU C-1
Course: Point to point. From lake up the canal.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:36 | 16.1 miles | 20.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/43
Overall: 12/297
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: One loop w/ rolling hills. First and last 1.8 were the same.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:37 | 03.2 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/43
Overall: 21/297
Performance: Good
Course: Flat course (w/ one very small hill, I'm not sure you can even call it a hill, more like the trail banked a little bit). Out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-23 7:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Subject: mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon

2009-07-23 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2304860

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: RE: mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon
Great job out there - you looked really good coming out of T2. You are quickly becoming a superb triathlete.
Z
2009-07-25 4:30 PM
in reply to: #2304860

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Subject: RE: mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon

awesome!!! What new bike?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed