General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Santa Cruz Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-09-22 6:01 PM
in reply to: #2306470

User image

Danville
Subject: RE: The Santa Cruz Triathlon : Official Thread
First ocean swim?  
I swam around this pier two times in the last couple of weeks.  The water is stingy ice cold.  You'll want to try it out a little the day before if you can.  And my opinion for race day is, before the start, go down into the water, get your feet used to it, then walk in and get the water to seep into the wetsuit, then actually swim about 25 yards and get out and get in the starting line.  This will take off the initial shock of the cold, so that when you get back in at the official start (with everyone else running in) you are already over the cold part.   Some people say to put Aquaphor on your feet, hands and face to help keep from getting numb.  Once you are moving along about 1/4 mile out, it won't seem so cold, but when you come out of the water your feet will be numb so it takes some adjustment to stand up and run back to transition.

Good luck !  See you there Sunday.

2010-09-22 6:20 PM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
I swam out past the end of the pier a few weeks ago.  My first ocean swim (had done about 6 swims in a very protected part of SF bay so I don't consider it 'ocean') and the anticipation was way more intimidating than the actual swim. 

+1 on getting acclimated to the water.  My two really bad training swims (on the verge of panic attack/hyperventilating after about 100yds) I was late and just tried to rush in and start swimming. 

We were taught to get in and float with fingers and toes sticking out of the water.  That gets a good amount of water into the suit.  Get the face wet and take a few strokes to loosen up.  After the initial 'OMG it's freezing' I think the cold water actually feels good.    I'm a huge fan of getting acclimated AND earplugs (without them I get dizzy/disoriented in cold water). 

I'll be wearing this on race day doing my best to represent the BOPs Tongue out

ggtc

Edited by Chatagirl 2010-09-22 6:48 PM
2010-09-22 6:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Yep....just flood that suit beforehand and you'll be fine.  
2010-09-22 7:41 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Good advice, all.  The temp doesn't worry me, got my wetsuit, CdA was 60....it's the waves, the critters, the rip tide that will probably wash me up in San Diego.  Or Stinson Beach.

I did freak out at CdA....had a hard time catching my breath, caught caught up the mosh pit...and this is my first tri since then.  I'm sure I'll be fine, I just need to get through the swim and stop this from hanging over my head.

I'll be in a hot pink cap....and wearing a TRIbe jersey!

2010-09-22 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3113012

User image

Regular
Sunnyvale, CA
TRIbe??  I'm TRIbe too    Are you Linda N....e, by any chance?

To the valuable advice already provided by others on this thread, I'd recommend using a neoprene cap under your race cap. It helps a lot with the numbness, at least in my case.  I'd also recommend a 5-8 min actual swim warm up (not just soaking), starting at least a couple of waves before yours.  Regarding the critters, there is nothing you can do about them, so just ignore them

Go TRIbe!

Davide
2010-09-22 10:39 PM

User image

Foster City, CA

Hi all - My first true ocean swim as well (2 lake swims - Wildflower and San Jose).  I can't wait as well but the nerves are creeping in.  A friend swam around the pier as part of a Swim Club event about a month ago and advised me to take a wider angle versus hugging the pier (fewer critters and fishing lines).  Has anyone else heard this?

Also, I'll be driving down Sunday morning from San Mateo (hopefully not too crazy of an idea).  Does anyone have any insight/advise on parking at or near the transition?  I'm aiming to get there by 7am to allow for setting up, calming the nerves and getting in a swim warm-up (per the good advice already posted).

2010-09-23 12:59 AM
in reply to: #3113203

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
I'm just playing it by ear as far as how close to the pier I'll get.   It looks like from the beach start, it's a straight shot to the end of the pier, which intersects it at a slight angle, so on the way out you should be well clear of it.   Around the end, you may want to go wide if you don't like the crowds or if there is any kind of a swell pushing through.
2010-09-23 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3113113

User image

Master
davide - 2010-09-22 6:56 PM TRIbe??  I'm TRIbe too    Are you Linda N....e, by any chance?

To the valuable advice already provided by others on this thread, I'd recommend using a neoprene cap under your race cap. It helps a lot with the numbness, at least in my case.  I'd also recommend a 5-8 min actual swim warm up (not just soaking), starting at least a couple of waves before yours.  Regarding the critters, there is nothing you can do about them, so just ignore them

Go TRIbe!

Davide

Hey!  Yup, it's me!  Jeff will be there, too.   Hope to see you at the race AND at the party after!   The neoprene cap is a good idea - bought one for CdA and didn't use it.
2010-09-23 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3113859

User image

Regular
Sunnyvale, CA
velcromom - 2010-09-23 8:15 AM  
Hey!  Yup, it's me!  Jeff will be there, too.   Hope to see you at the race AND at the party after!   The neoprene cap is a good idea - bought one for CdA and didn't use it.

Awesome!!  I'll definitely try to catch up with you guys at the race.  Not sure yet if I can make it to the party because my daughter had a minor surgery on Tuesday...

Do you happen to know if there are other TRIbesmen & TRIbeswomen on BT?
2010-09-23 7:11 PM
in reply to: #3114545

User image

Master
davide - 2010-09-23 12:31 PM
velcromom - 2010-09-23 8:15 AM  

Awesome!!  I'll definitely try to catch up with you guys at the race.  Not sure yet if I can make it to the party because my daughter had a minor surgery on Tuesday...

Do you happen to know if there are other TRIbesmen & TRIbeswomen on BT?

.....not that I know of!
2010-09-26 7:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Hope everyone had a great race. Mine was my first OLY and it went great. The weather was perfect and the course was awesome!

2010-09-26 9:05 PM

User image

Master
Had a BLAST!  PR, fun day!
2010-09-26 10:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
How many of you TRIbe folks were there.  I saw two of you just 2 rows behind me in transition, but wasn't sure if it was anybody here.
2010-09-27 8:26 AM

User image

Master
3 women, at least 8 men.  Nice size group.  If you saw a woman with brown hair, odds were 50-50 it was me.

I went off in the 5th wave - gold caps - finished at 3:09 clock time, 2:49 chip time.
2010-09-27 10:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Nice!  I ran a 2:44 for my first, so I'm quite happy with that.
2010-09-27 10:37 AM

User image

Master
That's great!  Not under the radar, for sure!  What age group are you in?

the way I figure it, if I can hold on to this level for 3 more years, and nobody moves up with me, I can podium in the 50-54 group!   Ha.......

2010-09-27 11:35 AM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
I finished my first triathlon! 

The swim worked me over.  Kept going off course and took forever to finish but I made it around that damn wharf!  Rolled my ankle running out of transition so I hobbled most of the 10k.  I still had a great time and will be back for moreLaughing

Congrats to everyone!
2010-09-27 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3119356

User image

Regular
Sunnyvale, CA
@undertheradar & @velcormom: congrats on your PRs!  I PRred too 2:20:02 and for the first time in my Tri career I finished top ten in my AG.  There are no chances I'll make to the podium as the folks in my AG (M40-44) seem to get stronger as they age

The race was awesome, great weather despite the initial delay because of the fog. The water was the warmest I've ever swam in SC.  It was probably in the high 50s.  Nothing like last year...
2010-09-27 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3119540

User image

Regular
Sunnyvale, CA
@chatagirl: and congrats to you as well!  Glad you managed to finish the race despite your ankle mishap.  You definitely didn't pick the easiest race for your first Tri.  Great job!
2010-09-27 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3119356

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
velcromom - 2010-09-27 10:37 AM That's great!  Not under the radar, for sure!  What age group are you in?

the way I figure it, if I can hold on to this level for 3 more years, and nobody moves up with me, I can podium in the 50-54 group!   Ha.......

Thanks....I'm in the 35-39 age group...so lot's of fast guys.   I got sick of seeing all those 40-44 AG guys blow by me though.  

Davide:   thanks man....and congrats on your finish...that's pretty impressive!   You're right about the water though, other than the initial shock of the water, I was never once cold during the swim.
2010-09-27 3:26 PM

User image

Danville

I thought this was a great event and curious if others will agree with this summary:

Pros:  Beautiful course, well organized event, great volunteers and course support.  Smart officials delayed the start until you could clearly see the buoys and wharf.   Transition area was well organized and easy to navigate. 

Cons:  finish chute food was all sweet stuff (cookies, donuts) - after Gu's and Gatorade on the course I'm tired of swwet stuff and feel like I need something a little salty (maybe pretzels) and also missing was a sponser like Muscle Milk for a bit of protein.  At the events put on by USA Productions (Morgan Hill, Silicon Valley, etc) they had burritos to give out and they were a great post-race treat.  The long sleeve shirt in light blue seemed a little like pajamas to me, but overall nice design.

Weather was perfect - made the swim not cold, the bike-perfect conditions, and the run a little warm but every once and awhile a nice cool breeze off the ocean. 

I would do this event again.

2010-09-27 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3119790

User image

Regular
Sunnyvale, CA
@undertheradar: Thanks!!

@Kevin26.2: I completely concur with you on the pros and cons of the race.  Before complaining about the T-shirt, though, you should have seen the one they gave us last year: canary yellow with electric blue bands. It had "I'm a relic from the 80s" written all over
2010-09-27 4:42 PM
in reply to: #3120196

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Kevin26.2 - 2010-09-27 3:26 PM

I thought this was a great event and curious if others will agree with this summary:

Pros:  Beautiful course, well organized event, great volunteers and course support.  Smart officials delayed the start until you could clearly see the buoys and wharf.   Transition area was well organized and easy to navigate. 

Cons:  finish chute food was all sweet stuff (cookies, donuts) - after Gu's and Gatorade on the course I'm tired of swwet stuff and feel like I need something a little salty (maybe pretzels) and also missing was a sponser like Muscle Milk for a bit of protein.  At the events put on by USA Productions (Morgan Hill, Silicon Valley, etc) they had burritos to give out and they were a great post-race treat.  The long sleeve shirt in light blue seemed a little like pajamas to me, but overall nice design.

Weather was perfect - made the swim not cold, the bike-perfect conditions, and the run a little warm but every once and awhile a nice cool breeze off the ocean. 

I'm a recovering fatty, so I loved the donuts. 

Agree with everything else though.....and I am not a fan of the shirt.
2010-09-27 4:45 PM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
I agree with Kevin it was a well organized event.  

The lifeguards are the ones who have to give clearance for the race directors to start the swim.  Given that they have to open the roads on the bike course at set times I think we lucked out.  Not much longer and they would have had to cancel the swim.

I had a few minor issues with the race.....why did they start the AG males after the females?  Halfway through the swim I was overtaken by a sea of pink caps and the rest of the 40-49 males pretty much passed me on the bike.  There was plenty of room on the swim (it wasn't the full contact chaos I was expecting) but the bike backed up in places with so many people trying to pass.  Not sure if there is any good way to stagger starts.

At the bike turnaround they only had Gatorade for bottle exchange.  I have a stomach of steel but Gatorade always gives me issues.  I ended up having to stop and  pour out a bottle and ask a volunteer to put water in it.  Newbie mistake - next time I won't rely on course support for a short race and carry 2 bottles.

The ice in the water at the run turn around was much appreciated.  It was getting hot on the run for someone used to training in 50-60 degree temps.  The water stations on the course were plentiful for a 10k which was good considering it could have been a much hotter day.

Some of the course monitors need to pay better attention and direct racers not just sit/stand there.  At the run turn off of Cliff Dr. they weren't paying attention and a few of us ran past the turn.  Another runner called us back.  Saw the same thing happen on the ride.  A non racing cyclist made a right and about 5 racers followed after him.

I saw the Muscle Milk van during the run and was looking forward to some at the finish, psychFrown   I'll agree the finish area was lacking but let it slide because it's a non-profit event where I'd rather see more $$$ going back to the cause.  I organize a 5k race and we have a bigger more lively finish area than this race had.  I also know that getting food sponsors/donations is really hard these days.  USA is a for profit company and used to be known for their finish party atmosphere so I would expect more from a race like that.  The goody bag was also pretty sparse.

As for the shirt, it's one that I will probably wear again which is rare.  I think I've worn about 4 out of 20+ I've received at road races over the years.  The medal is nice but I'm not a bling person. 

Santa Cruz is a beautiful venue.  As long as the race is well organized, which this was, I'm happy.   A lot of teams and fast racers but small enough I didn't feel unwelcome or intimidated (humbled, yes).  I'd rather pay less for fewer amenities and/or see proceeds benefit a good cause.

The Marin Tri in a few weeks is $250 which is obscene for an Oly, not to mention some crazy amenities ("transition area serenaded by a Parisian accordionist. This area of lawn will be cordoned off not by your typical barricades, but with living plants and rope").  Anyone done this one?  I think it's another hard swim and pretty tough course.  I'd love to get one more event in before year end but $250....really?????

Sorry for the long winded post.  Since I play race director once a year I tend to over analyze these things.  I'm in full race director mode now that my tri is done http://raceagainstph.org/ (Kevin - we have full size MuscleMilk  and Cytomax Laughing one of our patient's sons happens to work for them).

Edited by Chatagirl 2010-09-27 4:55 PM
2010-09-27 4:48 PM

User image

Master
Kevin26.2 - 2010-09-27 1:26 PM

I agree - and the volunteers were great, made the turns on the bike easy.  They did tell us the bike racks would be assigned, both in the letter and at packet pick-up, but that didn't end up being a big deal.  I agree on the food, and at a race that cost this much, they should have women's size shirts, too!  Didn't like the bit of off-road in the bike (mile 21?), but highway 1 was a blast.

If I could handpick the weather, I'd cool down the run a bit, but I really can't complain!

I'll be back!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Santa Cruz Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3