General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Scared Newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-24 3:28 PM

User image

Subject: Scared Newbie
Okay, so it's finally here... my first race.

I'm getting excited, but I'm super duper nervous!

So, when I have to float on my back or tread water or do the doggie paddle - it's okay, right?

First sprint tri on Sunday. Here goes!

Thanks for all the great advice on this board.

2009-07-24 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2306488

User image

Subject: RE: Scared Newbie
Jelly21 - 2009-07-24 1:28 PM Okay, so it's finally here... my first race. I'm getting excited, but I'm super duper nervous! So, when I have to float on my back or tread water or do the doggie paddle - it's okay, right? First sprint tri on Sunday. Here goes! Thanks for all the great advice on this board.

Yup, and if you do, you won't be the only one, I guarantee that.

Go out end enjoy the experience!   Looking forward to the race report
2009-07-24 3:33 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC

Hello

You have trained.  Just do it.

I am three weeks out from my first race and I am on edge now but being on edge is driving me to train harder to improve.  Race check list & remember to bring the big bike tire pump just in case.

Post a picture

Kevin

2009-07-24 3:34 PM

I'm there with you.  Sunday is my first as well.  Sprint Tri.  I'm just going to put my head down and keep on chugging til the end.  I may be crawling or dogpaddling too but I'm going to finish.

I just ran out and bought some tri shorts and hour or so ago (Pearl Izumi elite something or another) size XL (I'm 6'1 200).  I hope in a month these don't fit when I'm doing my next race and have to buy some smaller ones!!!  That is why I am here.

Best of luck, there are many out there just like us I'm sure!  I have 2 friends doing this one with me and it's their first too.
2009-07-24 3:41 PM

User image

I remember that feeling. (It was only two weeks ago I was so nervous in the days leading up to the first race--especially the night before (Plan on getting to sleep early, but dont expect to sleep very well). But, on race day I got there early, and felt surprisingly calm. Once the race started, there was no turning back and I had a blast! And you will, too.

Good Luck!
Lou

2009-07-24 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalispell, MT
I did my first sprint tri a month ago

yes, it's OK - I floated on my back a couple of times.  There were guys (5? 10?) doggie-paddling the ENTIRE 800 yards... you'll be fine!  I had lost my goggles 5 minutes prior (pack an extra pair!!!), broken the zipper on my wetsuit 2 minutes prior (it kept trying to fall off my shoulders), and wandered around in loop-de-loops all over the swim course... and I still was NOT the last out of the water.

Have fun, keep smiling, thank all the volunteers, and bring an extra pair of goggles...

edited to add: Get there WAY early... like 2 hours prior to start

Mel

Edited by MelH 2009-07-24 3:44 PM

2009-07-24 3:50 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

And you won't be the only one walking during the run, frantically trying to shift gears on the bike, launching water bottles, or worried about puttting your helmet on backwards or leaving it on after the bike.  You won't be the only one even a little self-conscious about how you look in spandex or neoprene. 

You won't be the only one smiling, thanking volunteers, or thanking spectators who don't even know you. 

2009-07-24 3:51 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

You also won't be the only one worried about finishing last or not finishing at all. 

Edited by McFuzz 2009-07-24 3:52 PM
2009-07-24 3:52 PM

I was the in the same boat last week. My first competition...

I had trained at 2X or 3x the distance in OWS so I knew I could physically do it. But my mind took over for the first few minutes.

When the swim actually started, I felt like I could not catch my breath "ever".  I took about 10 breast strokes, thought about how I would feel if I quit, fixed my goggles and kept moving.  I think I finally relaxed about 150 meters into the race.

Once I got past my nerves I was able to remember all the hard work I put in and was able to finish strong.  I actually picked up 50 places from swim exit to the end of the run because I was able to relax and rely on my training.

Godspeed to you in your race and I cant wait to hear how good you feel about it afterwards!

Regards,

David
2009-07-24 4:01 PM

User image

Wow, thanks!! Okay I feel so much better seriously! I needed the encouragement! I'm doing it with my husband and two other friends... for three of us, it is our first.

I'm definitely going to get there early, and I can't WAIT for the smile and beer at the end of the race!

Thanks again so much! I will report all the bad, good and ugly next week!
2009-07-24 6:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Best of luck to you on your first Tri...  Get in the water before the start, remain calm and remember in the swim SLOW is FAST, just get your breathing under control and you will be fine.  I was on my back twice before I could actually be in control and start chanting to myself SLOW is FAST, I ended up coming in third in my AG!!  Have fun.

2009-07-24 7:05 PM

User image

There is nothing like your FIRST Tri.  It is so fun to share this experience with your husband.  Congratulations on getting here.  The hard part is over and now you just get to experience the reward!!  ENJOY. 

I have to warn you that three summers ago my husband and I did our first Sprint tri, then an OLY, the next summer and OLY and an HIM and this summer another HIM. 

you will love it!!

2009-07-24 7:07 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Have a great time and yes, it's okay to tread, flat on our back, or doggie paddle !

Is this your first time swimming in open water ?  Someone told me to put my head under water and exhale, and that really helped with the nerves..

have a great race, jelly !
2009-07-24 7:19 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
I know the feeling and remember it very well from my first Tri in June.  I was anxious the entire first half of the swim and hadn't done any real open water practice at all.  Alot of people will feel the same way and you will see it on their faces in the calm before the storm just before the start.  It is an awesome experience.  Once the first few minutes go by, you'll get settled in and you'll be fine. 

One tip, don't necessarily trust the guy in front of you is going the right way  I made that mistake after rounding the first buoy and added an extra 50 yards or so as I swerved all over the place trying to get back into position, so be sure to sight on your own too.  Good luck, and you'll do fine.
2009-07-24 7:23 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Jelly21 - 2009-07-24 4:28 PM Okay, so it's finally here... my first race. I'm getting excited, but I'm super duper nervous! So, when I have to float on my back or tread water or do the doggie paddle - it's okay, right? First sprint tri on Sunday. Here goes! Thanks for all the great advice on this board.

All good. 

Remember it all!  I still remember my first sprint, 4 yrs ago this weekend, pacing the floor all night long, visiting the bathroom numerous times.

It'll be one of your greatest tri experiences! 

Good luck!
2009-07-24 7:28 PM

User image

New Haven, CT
Nothing wrong with floating... we all did it and some of us still do.  Just keep moving forward.  Good luck and you'll do great.

2009-07-24 8:49 PM

Veteran
I had my first tri last week.  It was a sprint.  I did plenty of breast stroke to catch my breath.  Some people from the wave behind passed me.  I passed others from the wave in front.  I was just happy to finish the swim.  Still ended up with a decent overall time.  What I'm saying is, go out and finish it and enjoy it.  You're gonna love it.
2009-07-24 10:02 PM

User image

Cross Lanes, WV
What a great discussion!  My 1st sprint tri is next weekend, and this helped so much with people who have recently or are getting ready to go through the same.  I have been telling everyone that all i want to do is not have someone come over and have to "rescue" me.  Nice to know others are there too, and in the end, we have all been training for this.  BT.com has been such a blessing from training tips and tracking to life experiences and encouragement.  Keep up the encouraging words. 
2009-07-25 3:45 PM

User image

Just did my 1st tri 2 weeks ago.  Everyone is nervous...you would be weird if you were not. I am doing my 2nd tomorrow and I know the course very well and still I am a bit nervous.  Let me tell you once you get a min or 2 into the swim you will be fine.....It is sooooooo fun!! Enjoy the experience
2009-07-25 6:25 PM

User image

New Haven, CT
Was so scared and intimidated at my first tri (which was last week, btw). Definitely felt my heart rate climb into the stratosphere when my toes hit the water, but the main goal i set for myself for that day was to do my own race and not obsess about anyone else. Oh, you want to get ahead of me for the swim start? Go right on ahead. It's all good. I worked hard for my level of ability and experience, but i tuned everyone else out and only focused on the buoys. I turned my insecurities into "advantages": sure, the 145 lb bony tri guys will blow past me on the bike, but if they try to push me around in the water, mofos are gonna get dunked.

Keep sighting on a regular basis, stay on track, and the time will fly by.

Have a great race!!!!  Let us know how it went!
2009-07-27 8:50 AM

User image

Hey all! Well, I did it - officially a triathlete!!!

Seriously NOT one time did I actually do a normal freestyle swimming stroke, but I still made it - super slow but made it and never had to ask for help - even though it was very nice having them there.

I just haven't put enough time in the water - I'm going to continue to train and maybe even do another one this year - I loved it. Seriously - felt so darn good when I was done! I only train in open water but not with 100 other people around me... soooo.

The bike and run were great and we had an absolutely FANTASTIC weather day - a perfect day - topped it off by sharing a bottle of champagne with my husband and best friend - we all did it together - our first!

Thanks again for all the encouragement and advice - it's sooo appreciated.

2009-07-27 9:49 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Congratulations TRIATHLETE!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Scared Newbie Rss Feed