General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Naperville Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-08-08 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2335763

Subject: RE: Naperville Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread
Thanks!

2009-08-08 8:52 PM
in reply to: #2306807

New user

Wood Dale, IL
Picked up my packet today.  I signed up for this with no training at all this year.  Wish me luck!
2009-08-08 8:52 PM

User image

Expert
Woodridge, IL
Can't wait to see 2300 people on that bike course tomorrow - this ought to be interesting.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow!
2009-08-08 10:04 PM

User image

Regular
Plainfield, IL

Off to bed...Good Luck Everyone!!

2009-08-09 5:16 AM

New user

Wood Dale, IL
5am and its already 78 degrees with 79% humidity.  Why dd I have to pick a Triathlon on the hottest day of the year??
2009-08-09 12:39 PM

User image

Shorewood
FUN RACE TODAY. A little warm but didn't notice it until the run.
I was hit with a 2 minute penalty. Not sure why. Anyone else get one of these?
I have a feeling it happened on the bike. A motorcycle went by me and the guy on back was writing something down on a piece of paper when he went past me. He was looking right at me. Maybe he felt I was on the left to long. I was constantly passing people so I don't know how I could have avoided it. I didn't block anyone trying to pass me and kept looking to make sure I wasn't blocking. I only had 2 people even pass me the entire bike portion. It made me a little mad to see this but I guess it doesn't really matter. I consider myself a very courtious person and would never do anything to slow down someone else or indanger another biker. I sent an email to the timing comapny for an explanation. We'll see what they say. No biggie though.
Overall it was a great day and can't wait until next year.
Hope everyone had fun.

2009-08-09 1:54 PM

New user

Wood Dale, IL
No penalties here.  I didn't see anyone that appeared to be blocking or causing problems for anyone on the bike course.  Things were a little tight on that main road where we were riding in one lane and the emergency lane.  Most people, including myself, didn't want to ride on the dirty shoulder.  I was pretty cautious to stay away from cars after an triathlete was killed by a drunk driver during a race last weekend in my hometown, Louisville, KY

The 2nd mile of the run was pretty hot!  We were running east uphill RIGHT into the sun and I started immediately pouring sweat!  Luckily the 3rd mile was downhill and shaded so I managed to finish harder.  It was still my worst 5k time EVER though, damn IT bands!

2009-08-09 3:39 PM
in reply to: #2336826

User image

Expert
Leicester
Do you remember if you mounted your bike even a few inches before the blue line as you were exiting the first transition?  I was watching today from right there and the staff were telling every one (racers) not to mount untill after the line, when there was a lul in racers I heard one of the staff say something about penalties.
2009-08-09 3:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
boy it was hot,

My brother was doing his first tri so we start in the second to last group going into the swim

We started at 8:04

My brother blew out a sidewall on his bike and was unable to finish the race.

how where you bike times compared to normal, mine was slower (should have been faster) than I expected

I almost passed out during the from the heat during the run and ended up walking a great ( my 5k time was 7minutes slower than I have been running this year.

Over all  not a fun end of the race, even strained something in my foot and can now barley walk

stilll finished about the same place I always finish top 1/3 overall and right at the 50% mark of my age group.
2009-08-09 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
kmodzel - where I was biking I could never get over to the left during my first lap because of to much slow traffic. On the second lap the course was pretty empty.

how did you guys like the wind on 75th.

I also saw a pedal in the middle of the road.

I wonder what happened to that person
2009-08-09 4:08 PM

User image

Northern Illinois
I thought it was a great race today.  The heat was there but I really didn't notice it until the run.  I was able to get into the swim about mid pack and had to deal with the usual bumping, etc but it wasn't too bad.  I felt the bike was a lot better and faster than I would have thought with the wind.  The roads were in awesome shape and bike traffic was manageable.  I was able to pass quite a few people.  The start of the run was really tough for me but I hit stride actually going down Aurora and into the sun.  Go figure.  The volunteers did a great job and the spectators were very motivating as well.  All in all it was a well run race and one that I would definitely do again.  Hopefully it's a bit cooler next year.

2009-08-09 4:30 PM

User image

Expert
Woodridge, IL
I had a great race & am happy with my finish!  I think considering it had a bazillion people that it wound up really well run (until the end when there were 100000 ppl waiting for transition to open.  I also didn't notice the heat until I hit Aurora Ave on the run but man was that sun blaring then!  My run was also slow, I'd start overheating and have to walk.  I still managed to finish 15 mins faster than last year, so the training must be working :-)
2009-08-09 6:32 PM

User image

Shorewood
Found out I was penalized for staying to the left on the bike for to long. I don't know how I could have done it any differently. There was almost always someone to the right of me to pass. Oh well. Wasn't anywhere near a medal finish so I guess it doesn't really matter. Took me all afternoon to cool down today. A couple of beers and a good soak in the neighbors pool was just the ticket. Time to start training for Chicago.
2009-08-09 8:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
kmodzel
 at one point I was 4 wide to pass a pack of people talking to each other
2009-08-10 8:09 AM

User image

hampshire il
wow what an amazing event, well run. this was my second tri and was very impressed
2009-08-10 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran
I also thought it was a well-run race given the number of participants and logistics involved.  A round of applause for the volunteers for the event......

As expected, the swim was a little bit of a mess.  I seeded myself in a higher wave, but still ended up doing my best swimming around people and not bumping into anyone.  It really sapped more energy than I thought moving around others....

Bike was great, but man was that transition run to the bike out long (at least where I was located)!  The newly paved course was nice, but, for me I don't really like double loop courses; seemed a little boring to me.

Run was fine and, like others, was where I could start to feel the heat a little bit.  The humidity affected me more though.  Running into the sun in mile 2 was definitely an eye-opener.  I saw many started to walk and I don't blame them in the least bit.....

The cheering was awesome.  This is the first event I've attended where there were so many people around the course (especially the last mile and the bike transition entrance/exit) yelling and clapping.

Overall, a nice positive experience

2009-08-10 10:56 AM

New user

Elmhurst, Illinois
i thought it was a well run event too. the only knock would be how long it took to get my gear after the race. i think they were too worried about bikes getting stolen but didn't have enough people checking numbers to make it run smoothly.

overall, i had a great time. i'm glad to hear others had a slower than expected run time as i thought it was just me. i finished 3 - 4 minutes slower on the run than i hoped!
2009-08-10 11:10 AM

Illinois
I was slower on the run than expected.  It took me about 1/2 a mile to get my legs back from the bike.  Then I hit that second mile in the sun with the uphill.  That just didn't help my time.

I really enjoyed the race.  It did get somewhat crowded on the bike course.  I did get a penalty for passing on the right, but I saw people going 4 wide at some places.  I felt like I has having to back off and freewheel at some points to not draft.

Great support during the race.  A lot of loud spectators/volunteers.

It got hot waiting to get gear out of transition.  The wait would be my biggest complaint about the race.
2009-08-10 3:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Did any one notice the strong current in the water when reached the just past the halfway point of the swim.

For all of the complaining about the swim, it seemed pretty smooth I did see the life guards go in and fish a few people out.

2009-08-11 10:07 AM

User image

hampshire il
the bike course was pack that is true. it seemed that no one read what your suppose to do.
2009-08-11 10:48 AM

User image

New user

This was my first race - so I was pretty nervous when I heard there were 2000 people coming! But I had a positive race experience overall! Plus, I PR automatically :P I don't think I would do this race again because the venue is so large and I live a bit far, but glad I was able to do this one!

2009-08-11 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
hyk88 - just try another one closer to home, but remember to have fun with it
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Naperville Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3