General Discussion Race Reports! » Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon at Craig Ranch Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon at Craig Ranch - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McKinney, Texas
United States
Playtri
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 2s
Overall Rank = ?/459
Age Group = Athena 0-99
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30 and ate bagel which seems to work for me. Grab gear and out the door. Arrived at parking around 5:30 and figured out I had left the bike bottle I wanted at home in the fridge. Boo. Luckily I had a bike bottle of water in the car so grabbed it, filled it up and got setup.
Event warmup:

Stand around for 30 minutes til my start. ;)
Swim
  • 07m 35s
  • 350 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was much less nervous to do this swim than my open water swims. Just jumped in and started swimming. First 50m the girl behind me zooms by, then dies at beginning of second 50 and I had to pass her back. Really? It's a long race dear, how about a little steadiness? Passed one more then came up on the guy who started in front of me with 100 to go. Started to pass him then when I got close I found out he was swinging really wide, got a mouth full of water so pulled up short. Waited until the last 50 and just made sure to breathe to the other side and passed him. I don't think he cared for that b/c I could tell he sped up, but made the pass and out.

Heard my kids yelling for me on that last 50, smiled underwater. :) They were adorable (and probably annoying to others) yelling 'Go mommu go!'
What would you do differently?:

Nothing but more practice. Swim was smooth and strong and not at all tiring. Goal was 7:45 and made 7:35 including time to get to timing mat so good swim. Maybe seed a little higher. Passed 3 and never was passed. Turned out number 1 swim in my AG/class.
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Fastest T1 in my AG/class. Felt slower than this so I feel really good about this.

Find my rack quicker, funny how it gets confusing even though I counted.
Bike
  • 39m 22s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.29 mile/hr
Comments:

I had driven the course so I knew it was a few gradual inclines and a ton of turns. Two loops and my goal was to do 40 min. Came in just under so check mark there. Because I was almost middle of the race I was out there with both some fast bikes and some not so fast bikes. At least I can definitely tell that my biking base is improving. Kept this pace without feeling overdone, passed a couple. No one in my AG though. lol.

Made sure to tell all the police and volunteers thanks!

More Wednesday sprint training. This course is boring and bland and not a lot to have fun with. But it's short so really what can you ask for.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Good transition for me. Tied 1st for AG/class.

Nada.
Run
  • 31m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Best-case run for me. The first 12 minutes I was wondering how the run was going to go because I was hot, sweating bullets and getting into the swing of things. After that I knew it was going to be a good day even with the hills. Played leapfrog for a little with a guy and then sat in behind him until the last downhill where I let it out a little and then went ahead and finished in front. Felt strong for me through the finish. Kids cheered me in! Then they kept asking me where was my trophy - they would have been very disappointed if I came home empty handed ha ha.

Just keep on keeping on. Started singing in my head with my normal ipod tracks, ha.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, talked to the family who came out to support me, John, Shawn and watched Nancy finish an. Hung around for awards since I thought I was probably close in Athena.

2nd Athena. Yay me. Plus a much improved run time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Who cares? lol. Fun race.

Event comments:

I liked the race, Cooper is really nice and there are lots of volunteers. The course leaves something to be desired and is hard for spectating. The awards didn't start until almost 11am (when they noted it would be closer to 10am) after every racer was done and were all out in the sun. Long time for the first guys to wait around. Still, would do it again as it is an overall decent race with lots of food, drinks and volunteers.

Last updated: 2009-02-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:35 | 350 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 0/459
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 50 meter outdoor pool. Snake up and down 7 lengths one-way.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:13
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:22 | 12 miles | 18.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/11
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops. Down Collin McKinney Pkwy, winding into neighborhood streets, back down across Alma.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:53 | 03.11 miles | 10m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/11
Course: Run around neighborhood and Cooper track, two hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-25 10:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX
Subject: Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon at Craig Ranch

2009-07-26 9:35 PM
in reply to: #2308098

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon at Craig Ranch
Really nice paces there!!! Fast bike and run!!!

Congratulations on the age group win!
2009-07-27 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2308098

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon at Craig Ranch

Awesome job! Fun race report to read too! Thx! My kids stole my water as I crossed the finish line... Nice!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon at Craig Ranch Rss Feed