Subject: RE: Shark off Malibu Coast!
That's too funny.

2009-07-28 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2308107

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
TriathleteNut - 2009-07-25 11:09 PM I swim at Will Rogers beach and am trying not to feel the fear as I have a scheduled swim tomorrow morning. I'm almost ready to cancel... Any words of encouragement? http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Malibu-Lifeguards-on-Lookou...

Just remember; when you enter the ocean you become part of the food chain!
2009-07-28 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2311725

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
papson14 - 2009-07-27 11:15 PM

If the sharks are freaking you out stay away from the vending machines.  They seem to have a higher kill rate than sharks.

Are Vending Machines Deadlier than Sharks?

Wednesday June 29, 2005
Are vending machines deadlier than sharks?Vending machines kill, sharks don't, according to a July 4, 2003 Reuters headline. The article quotes an L.A. lifeguard who asserts that in spite of the ubiquitous fear of shark attacks in this country, 'more people are killed in the United States each year by vending machines,' which smacks of an urban legend but probably isn't.

I say "probably isn't" because statistics relating to vending machine deaths aren't as easy to come by as data on shark attack fatalities, so it's difficult to draw a direct comparison. But if we look at 1995, for example — the most recent year for which I was able to find an accounting of deaths due to vending machine tipovers — two people died as a result of being crushed by falling soda machines in the U.S., as compared to zero shark-related deaths in the same twelve-month period.

Moreover, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission there were 37 known vending machine fatalities between 1978 and 1995, for an average of 2.18 deaths per year. Over the past decade there were a total of six recorded shark attack fatalities in the U.S., for an average of .6 deaths per year. Ergo, barring a drastic reduction in the frequency of vending machine accidents since 1995, vending machines are indeed more deadly than sharks by a factor of almost four. Discuss.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/2005/06/29/are-vending-machines-deadlier-than-sharks-repost.htm

Slight hijack.......I know that shark attacks are rare and I see examples like this all the time, but I think the stats are massively skewed. In the above example (death by vending machine) or others I've seen (lightning strikes, champagne corks, whatever) the odds they show are based on the entire US population. But if you never visit the ocean your chances of an attack are zero. Same if you go to the beach and only get your toes wet. The stats I want to see would be how many people get in the ocean waist deep or deeper versus the number of attacks. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to scare anyone or say I wouldn't go swim in the ocean, I just want to see what my true odds are. thoughts? stats?
2009-07-28 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2312243

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
tjfry - 2009-07-28 10:12 AM
papson14 - 2009-07-27 11:15 PM

If the sharks are freaking you out stay away from the vending machines.  They seem to have a higher kill rate than sharks.

Wednesday June 29, 2005
Are vending machines deadlier than sharks?Vending machines kill, sharks don't, according to a July 4, 2003 Reuters headline. The article quotes an L.A. lifeguard who asserts that in spite of the ubiquitous fear of shark attacks in this country, 'more people are killed in the United States each year by vending machines,' which smacks of an urban legend but probably isn't.

I say "probably isn't" because statistics relating to vending machine deaths aren't as easy to come by as data on shark attack fatalities, so it's difficult to draw a direct comparison. But if we look at 1995, for example — the most recent year for which I was able to find an accounting of deaths due to vending machine tipovers — two people died as a result of being crushed by falling soda machines in the U.S., as compared to zero shark-related deaths in the same twelve-month period.

Moreover, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission there were 37 known vending machine fatalities between 1978 and 1995, for an average of 2.18 deaths per year. Over the past decade there were a total of six recorded shark attack fatalities in the U.S., for an average of .6 deaths per year. Ergo, barring a drastic reduction in the frequency of vending machine accidents since 1995, vending machines are indeed more deadly than sharks by a factor of almost four. Discuss.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/2005/06/29/are-vending-machines-deadlier-than-sharks-repost.htm

Slight hijack.......I know that shark attacks are rare and I see examples like this all the time, but I think the stats are massively skewed. In the above example (death by vending machine) or others I've seen (lightning strikes, champagne corks, whatever) the odds they show are based on the entire US population. But if you never visit the ocean your chances of an attack are zero. Same if you go to the beach and only get your toes wet. The stats I want to see would be how many people get in the ocean waist deep or deeper versus the number of attacks. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to scare anyone or say I wouldn't go swim in the ocean, I just want to see what my true odds are. thoughts? stats?

What if you consider in your math whether or not you shake machines to get your snacks.  Then you've narrowed the gap because how many people never buy stuff from a vending machine and how many people just walk away with their vanilla wafers hanging by a thread???  Which reminds me...
2009-07-28 4:14 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Ummm, don't they live in the ocean?
2009-07-28 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2313553

User image

I don't see what the big deal is. The chance of getting bit by a shark during any ocean swim is less than 1 in 3.

2009-07-28 5:22 PM
in reply to: #2311725

User image

Champion
PA
papson14 - 2009-07-28 12:15 AM

Wednesday June 29, 2005

This only applies to drunk marines.  Honest!  I was made aware of this in 1988 when I asked a cop in San Diego if he really thought someone would steal the soda machines at Mission Beach.  He said, "nope, we are trying to keep them from killing drunk U.S. Marines."  LOL
2009-07-28 6:04 PM
in reply to: #2313576

User image

Regular
Ft. Bragg, NC
eberulf - 2009-07-28 5:26 PM I don't see what the big deal is. The chance of getting bit by a shark during any ocean swim is less than 1 in 3.

uhhhmmmm personally?  With those odds?  Looks like I'll be swimming in the pool that day... lol

I have a strange suspicion that if I go to factor the odds in ANY situation, I always come out on the short end of the stick no matter what... lol... "Hmmmm there is only a 5% chance of this situation going bad.... [10mins later] Damn those statistics..."
2009-07-28 7:07 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Some Pacific Coast info on sightings, and on attacks. As you can see sharks do attack and are very present, however fatalities are not too common. If you do get attacked, chances are it will be from a great white.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shark off Malibu Coast! Rss Feed  

of 2