General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am i doing the right thing? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-26 12:25 PM

Subject: Am i doing the right thing?
Hi all, i am returning to sport after a 18 month break from any sport due to spinal injury.
I am totally recovered now but have basically done barley any exercise in that time.
I used to run (mountain marathons) and time trial both short and ultra endurance but like in say that was 18months ago. I intended to triathlon but things happend and now at 36 and 195lbs (about 13lbs over my ideal weight) i am a bit apprehensive about where to start.
Could anyone tell what distances i should be looking at competing in (sprint etc) or would that be to fast a disheatening for a newbie. Any advice would be welcome.

CJ

2009-07-26 3:23 PM
in reply to: #2308484

Expert
Subject: RE: Am i doing the right thing?
I suggest building up slowly, just get the distance in at the start.

Build up to a sprint or a local mini sprint. No need to go fast, just your own pace.

Don't rush into it, that's how you get injured. Try to find someone to help you out with swimming technique also.

Maybe train for a 10k run first and see how you go?
2009-07-26 9:00 PM
in reply to: #2308484

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Subject: RE: Am i doing the right thing?
cj1212 - 2009-07-26 11:25 AM
Any advice would be welcome.

CJ

If you are "totally recovered" with no restrictions you really shouldn't be any different than anyone else starting the sport. My advice would to either follow a training plan (which many people have great success doing), or ramp up volume very slowly to the level of volume that you want to commit to triathlon (what I'm doing).

I went from about three years of total inactivity due to chronic back pain to "totally recovered" thanks to spinal fusion surgery. Once released from PT, I started ramping up training volume starting at a weekly volume of about (2000y swim / 10m walk-run / 40m bike). In 2.5 years I'm now up to about around (8000y swim / 25-30 miles running / 200 miles bike) per week. I think I now have the fitness to race well at the HIM distance.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am i doing the right thing? Rss Feed