Tinman Hawaii
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 26m 41s
Overall Rank = 127/542
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/54
Pre-race routine:

Set up transition, paced around, walked to the beach twice and repeat. Cuddled with some homeless folks.
Event warmup:

Jogging in the grass and stretching
Swim
  • 14m 17s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started upfront this time. Tired of running into people. I think this helped I was able to use some speed early and was relatively swimming free for awhile.
My stroke wasn't very smooth in the beginning. I was focusing on the bottom and trying to navigate. My fingers weren't together and my arms were straighter under water. After I realized this I got my rhythm back and fixed my form. I hit the turn, swam over someone and was in the homestretch. BAM I plowed into this guy like he ran a red light. Totally stopped me. Got going again and BAM plowed into this older woman who was swimming towards the shore. I felt bad too, she had a look like I scared the crap out of her. Got out of the water and ran to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Concentrate on good form at the start.
Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

First time with clipless pedals. It was awesome. Used my gloves this time. Mainly for a face rag on the bike. decent distance from the water to T1.

Just speed up. Could have shaved some time off though. Kinda took my time. Run faster from the water to the transition area.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 17s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.55 mile/hr
Comments:

I wish I knew why I feel good on the ride but still suck.

I pushed pretty hard. A more expensive fancy shmancy bike might help too. I saw some chain rings that are a lot larger than mine. I still pass some of those billion dollar bikes though too. Having a large truck in front of me to block the wind.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Since this was my first time with clipless I was nervous. This rocked! I was like .. man did I forget something? Even changed my bib number too.

Nothing. Would like a 30 second T2 someday. Where do they sell those?
Run
  • 52m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Long hill in the first third. I asked the HPD guy if he was the one who put the hill there. Took a long time to get my legs and pace. It was somewhat intentional. I wanted to make sure that I could pull through the last hill on the return and make sure that no one passed me at the finish.

I had no idea what my pace was. No markers on the course either. I still can't complain though.
Post race
Warm down:

Carrying around a 1lbs glass. Oh yeah some stretching too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I wish I knew. Still gotta be genetics. Lack of superpower maybe?

Event comments:

Great course. Lots of volunteers. They were actually cheering the competitors instead of texting their friends like I have seen in some of the other races. This was one of the best organized races I have seen. Bike corral was a little confusing at first.

Last updated: 2009-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:17 | 820 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/54
Overall: 97/542
Performance: Good
Suit: Black tie only.
Course: Shallow in some spots. After the first two waves they moved the starting line. That way it was right on top of the rocks. Nailed my little toe.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:16:17 | 24.85 miles | 19.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/54
Overall: 157/542
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Challenging course. Loved heartbreak hill. KoleKole laps paid off. Some wind and a few gusts. I hate the wind when I'm riding.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:14 | 06.21 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/54
Overall: 0/542
Performance: Good
Course: Nice run Diamond Head. It has it's ups and downs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-26 8:45 PM

User image

Ft Bragg, North Carolina
Subject: Honolulu Tinman Triathlon

2009-07-26 10:27 PM
in reply to: #2309160

Subject: RE: Honolulu Tinman Triathlon
Great race. Let me try and help you with one part though:

"I wish I knew why I feel good on the ride but still suck."

Well, you were 20/54 out of your age group for the bike... so I would say, that you don't exactly "suck". =)

"I pushed pretty hard."

Apparently not hard enough... you said you felt good. No one should ever feel good. You left some in the tank. My bike time was identical at 1:16. I felt like crap. You must be faster... you were just sandbaggin... hold'in back on me. =P~

"A more expensive fancy shmancy bike might help too. I saw some chain rings that are a lot larger than mine. I still pass some of those billion dollar bikes though too."

Yeah, a nice bike always helps, but not as much as you think, maybe a minute or two. As for chain rings... just pedal faster, higher cadence. I'm pretty sure, that you weren't using your highest gear (53/12) or (50/11) for more than a few seconds on the downhills... if that.

Overall... judging from your previous results... you have to be pretty satisfied. What was your goal? 2:30 or so?
2009-07-26 11:11 PM
in reply to: #2309268

User image

Ft Bragg, North Carolina
Yep 2:30 was my goal. Physically I was pretty smoked, but mentally I was relaxed and calm. What bothers me is that I was 6th out of the water and 20th on the bike. I felt like I did better.
2009-07-26 11:54 PM
in reply to: #2309311

You thought you did better than 6th on the swim, or just 20th on the bike? I don't see how the two are related. =)

I've come to the realization that it takes a WHOLE LOT MORE races in a sport to predict time/place based on how you feel.

For instance... my wife just got a bike 1.5 months ago because we decided that maybe she could be a triathlete. She wears running shoes on the bike, no cages either. She doesn't know how to get out of the saddle on climbs. She refuses to get into the drops. She wore a trisuit AND bike shorts, cause her butt hurts when she cycles hard. Not exactly a pretty picture I'm painting.

My bike time -> 1:16
Her bike time -> 1:20

I killed myself on that course, she said she spent 3 minutes fiddling with a dislodged frame pump until she finally stuck it in her bike shorts... or else she thinks she would have gone much faster.

How does that add up?

It doesn't... really... I'm so proud of her, yet, I'm mystified by my time. I "felt" closer to 59 minutes. =)
2009-07-27 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Looks to me like you had a fantastic race Shawn. I wish I could swim that fast even after running into people Once you get your run dialed in, you're gonna be a force to be rekoned with. Great job!
2009-07-28 7:11 PM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Great job, Shawn!!  Man, you and the reef have a thing at these races, don't you?!

2010-07-29 6:43 PM

User image

Awesome job.

More time in the saddle and you'll see that bike time drop.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Honolulu Tinman Triathlon Rss Feed