United States
Cornhusker State Games
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 13s
Overall Rank = 145/311
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/41
Pre-race routine:

Ate Lasagna the night before. Also had 20 ounces of Lemon-Lime Gatorade and 2 beers.

Woke up at 4:30 a.m. took a shower and ate two bowls of GV Bran Flakes. Rounded up the family and left at 5:30 a.m. Enroute I ate an apple and a Cliff Bar (which I'm going to try something else because of getting sick).

Got to the race and small talked with Jeff, Brian, Brynn, and someone whom I cant remember their name. I didn't talk to much because I was antsy to set up my transition area.
Event warmup:

Nice walk from our parking area to the race site.

Also did a little stretching before the race.
Swim
  • 17m 29s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

Overall was a good swim. Began in the back of the Heat. Passed a lot of people, however, there were a lot of hitting and kicking because of the congestion. I began breathing every second stroke (because of all the people) and stuck in that groove for the race. I did occasionally do breast stroke more than I planned, but that's OK. It was hard to navigate because the orange swim caps blended with the orange bouys. Overall, I'm pleased with the swim. After we began, I didn't see Jeff but I guess we exited about the same time. Oh ya, the Anti-Fog worked great for me.
What would you do differently?:

More Free and Less Breast.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Faster than usual transition. Had a race mentality.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 41m 10s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Started the bike at 18-19 mph (fast for me) right out of the chute. Once outside the park, Jeff passed me up right away. Shortly afterwards I passed him, but that was short lived. He passed me for the final time and I never saw him again along that segment. I knew I had to push it to have any chance with Jeff (as he calls our friendly race). :)

During the last lap, Dina yelled that I was a minute behind Jeff. I pushed harder because I realized I wasn't as far behind Jeff as I originally thought.

I was passed a lot of people and felt I had the best bike I've had in any other race. The only drawback was the congestion along the course. Next year I would like to see the bike course widened.

Felt like I cornered better than last week. Best bike I've had, I don't think there is anything I could've done better outside of speedwork during training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Coming in, a spectator was in my way. Had to speak to her to get out of my way.

Very fast transition, I was thinking of trying to catch Jeff.

Put my knee strap on better. In my hurry, I didn't put it on correctly. It was of no value.
Run
  • 25m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off fairly hard. Legs were a bit heavy, but had a good groove going. I was a little worried because of how hard I pushed the bike and not taking my extra long transitions.

Shortly into the run I spotted Jeff in the distance and pushed to gain on him. Ran through the aid station at mile 1 and caught up with him shortly after. I patted him on the back and he gave me some words of encouragement.

Did the turnaround, saw Jeff again and we gave each other a high five. The rest of the run I just cruised, but I sprinted at the end (to pass a couple of ladies in front of me).

Run felt good and I'm very pleased with my pace, groove, and breathing. Maybe running in the heat of the day is helping me. :)

Nothing. It was a good and solid run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked toward family. Cheered Jeff on as he ran by. Finished walking toward the family and chit chatted with them. Little bit later, we helped get Dan ready for his big Kids Triathlon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe work a little more on swimming. I also feel that I've been neglecting my run. I'm going to try to focus more on the run in preperation for the Redman.

Event comments:

Liked the race. It was ran smoothly. The only flaw that I saw was the congestion on the bike course. Would like to do the race again next year.

Last updated: 2009-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:29 | 750 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/41
Overall: 0/311
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangular course.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:10 | 12.43 miles | 18.12 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: 3-4 mile laps.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:30 | 03.11 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Course: Out and back course along the lake with mostly limestone gravel.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-26 11:04 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Cornhusker State Games Triathlon

2009-07-26 11:23 PM
in reply to: #2309305

Veteran
Beatrice, Nebraska
Subject: RE: Cornhusker State Games Triathlon
Great race. Looking forward to many years of racing with you.
2009-07-27 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2309305

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Cornhusker State Games Triathlon
Sounds like you put together a complete race.  Glad the anti-fog worked for you.  Thanks again for your help with Dan.  Let's all do this together next year!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cornhusker State Games Triathlon Rss Feed