Adams County Chamber of Commerce
67.6F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 10s
Overall Rank = 40/355
Age Group = M 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 5/19
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to Wisconsin Dells and checked into the cabin late Friday night. I had the Fan Scramble until 6pm, went home, loaded up and with a three hour drive, arrived at the cabin about 10:30pm. Pretty much headed to bed. Race was a later one, starting at 8:45am. I went there to pick up my packet for 7:30am and just kind of hung out and checked out the swim course and transition area.
Event warmup:

Listened to the instructions on the beach, had a GU and put on the wetsuit.
Swim
  • 08m 38s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Thought I had a pretty good swim considering I swam most of it and a lot of people did not. It was really choppy but because Nicole and I hit some currents at High Cliff a couple weeks back, it was no biggie. I only got off track once and never had any kind of panic or anything breaking up the breathing pattern. I wasn't really happy with my time but it is hard to tell how good it was with having to walk in the last 50 yards. Winning swim was 6:20 so I don't think I did too bad.
What would you do differently?:

Not much...maybe run into shore a little harder.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Not too bad of a transition. Want to get this closer to 60 secs though. Everything went well, just think I can speed it up a tad.

Practice this transition more.
Bike
  • 48m 11s
  • 16.63 miles
  • 20.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good bike. I felt comfortable and passed a lot of people at the beginning of the bike. I was passed by a total of three bikes so I was happy with that.

Nothing. It went pretty well.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

T2 went real well until I put my running hat on and OUCH! something stung/bit me right on top of the head. Took off my hat as I was running towards the run out and could feel something in my hair that fell out. The bug was gone but definitley felt the sting/bite.

shake out my hat
Run
  • 21m 36s
  • 3.13 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run. Felt like I was crawling but turned out the pace was ok. Didn't totally exert myself but settled into a comfortable pace. Passed a lot of people with no one passing me on the run.

Push a little harder....definitley gas left in the tank.
Post race
Warm down:

water, hug Marla and off to the medics to see what stung or bit me and if there was a stinger in my head. They looked at it and thought it was a horsefly bite and gave me an ice pack. I was the second person they had seen by that point. Then it was off to the food tent. Great food selection, fruit, cheese, crackers, powerbars, soda, water, gatorade....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training...didn't really train hard this summer and didn't do anything the week two weeks prior to the race.

Event comments:

Defintley a small town race. They were organized but yet not. Need more/better signage as there were not even numbers on the bike rack. No chaos but I really wouldn't call it "organized". I would do it again though.

Last updated: 2009-03-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:38 | 440 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/355
Performance: Good
Suit: Desoto T1 two piece wetsuit
Course: Course started about 100 yards out from shore and went clockwise. Water was waist high for most of the course which sucked because everyone walked. I swam 95% of it but was forced to walk around the first turn bouy. The last 50 yard to shore was too shallow to swim but was too deep to run so it became a power walk.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:48:11 | 16.63 miles | 20.71 mile/hr
Wind: Strong
Course: Headed south on Hwy Z which was pretty good road then turned East and oh boy....pea gravel on the road. They must have done it recently cuz it was loose pea gravel. That lasted for a couple miles only and then onto regular country roads with rolling hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:36 | 03.13 miles | 06m 54s  min/mile
Course: Ran on the country roads...kind of out and back with the last half mile or so going through the woods on the ice age trail. Good course, little sandy in the woods.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-27 9:10 AM

User image

Subject: Castle Rock Triathlon

2009-07-27 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2309738

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: RE: Castle Rock Triathlon

Nice race!  I was in the area on Saturday visiting relatives.  Had I known there was a race, we might have brought the bikes.  Would you recommend this one for next year?  It would be a training day, rather than an A race.  Thoughts?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Castle Rock Triathlon Rss Feed