General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
West Windsor, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 12s
Overall Rank = 230/1121
Age Group = 40 -44
Age Group Rank = 26/86
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, walked the dog and double checked I had everything in the car from the night before. Went and picked up Dad and grabbed a bagel and PB and drank some gatorade to stay hydrated. Was able to park right at the ranger's station as Dad needs a wheel chair to get around given the distance to travel and the terrain.
Event warmup:

Set up transition, make sure Dad was all set in a good spot and then hit the lake for about 100 yards of a warm up swim. Other than that just stretched a bit and tried to stay loose.
Swim
  • 12m 20s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Since I've never had a swim where I stayed relaxed and free style the whole way in OWS I decided to make a consioius effort to swim easy and relax and try to disturb as little water as possible on entry which would theoretically make me stay relaxed. I kind of hung back a bit up until 20 seconds before the start and because everyone (!!!) was way over to the right decided to stay left and on the buoy line. Started out smooth and was sighting well. At the 1st buoy I knew I was in a good rhythm but when I looked up to sight I could see a mass exodus from my right heading to the buoys/kayaks for help. I was able to navigate through that without many issues and before I knew it I was at the turn buoy and just in completely clean water. It ran through my mind to pick up the pace a bit and push it but decided to execute the plan I came with and stayed easy and smooth. I even caught a few people from the prior wave which I'm pretty sure must be a 1st for me. My line was very straight for some reason on this swim which allowed me not sight as often which helped a bit. I remembered from last year that you need to swim right up to the yellow exit buoys in order to stand so did that well and I was done.
What would you do differently?:

Assuming I'm actually now getting comfortable in OW push myself through at least parts of the swim as there's about 1 minute of time out there for me to get with my current ability.
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

I had an awful T1 in last years race so wanted to chop some time off here. Felt good and not winded coming out of the water (gotta like when a plan works!) so was able to run up a little hill and into transition. Passed Jared right at the entry into transition and told him this is a race not a walk-a-thon. Pretty sure he told me where to go :) Ran to bike, socks on, shoes on, helmet on and a quick swig of gatorade. Then ran with the bike out of transition and eventually over the timing mat and to the mount line. Sort of stopped and clipped in instead of doing it on the move.

Gotta move quicker with the socks/shoes in transition. I feel there's still 40 or 50 seconds to gain here.
Bike
  • 34m 57s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 19.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Was a little concerned as my legs didn't feel the freshest running up through T1 and onto the bike. Didn't jump on the bike to get started but got up to speed quick and I was off. Picked off about a dozen folks on the road exiting the park and then a few more on Huges Dr. Was passed by 2 guys here who were flying so I couldn't even use them as someone to try and stay with as way too fast for me. Fell into a good rhythm and was passing folks every once in awhile. Played tag with a guy on a yellow canondale as we must've passed each other a dozen times on the course. Since my goal was 20 mph average and I had biked this course a number of times I knew I needed to find 1.5 minutes from my last training run by the time I got to Old Trenton Road. I had hit it at 26 minutes before and needed at least 24:30 here. As I made the turn it was right at 24:28 so knew I had a chance. About 1/2 mile onto Old Trenton I had to slow and almost stop as someone was way out on the left passing and it caused cars to slow down and other riders to slow down with no way around without risking great bodily harm. Once they got by I sped up and went by a bunch of folks leading back into the park. Tried to push as hard as I could in the park and to the dismount. Off the bike and sort of running back to the timing mat and was less than 30 seconds off of my goal.

I've spent more time on the bike this year but still need to increase that for the future.
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

I was surprised about how slow this was. It didn't seem like I was going slow but must've been in comparison to other folks time.

Move quicker.
Run
  • 26m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Realized pretty quick that my legs didn't want to go as fast as I wanted them to. As I was running through the grass chute to get out to the path there were 4 people in my age group I could see ahead of me. My goal became to catch and pass them. To be honest it felt like I was crawling during this run and I was very hot. I was able to reel in some runners and pass them and not get passed a whole lot. I felt every little uphill portion and it seemed to zap any desire I had to push it a little harder. When I heard the announcer around the corner I got this huge feeling of relief as I was really ready to be done running and I ran off to the finish line strong.

I was training for the Oly and was concentrating on longer runs and maintaining a pace of about 8:30 for that. That seems to have become my pace also for sprints. I need to work on my short runs and get some speed back.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water and finisher's medal and went over to see Dad. Also saw Jared's wife and kids so talked to them for awhile. Then headed over to the Ryan's Quest tent to see how everyone did. Found my way to the beer garden after that for a nice cold Stella which tasted incredibly good!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just time to train really. That'll probably always be the case but I'm ok with that and I'll just try to chip away at the areas I can gain a few seconds on.

Event comments:

What can you say for a race that has 2000 or some competitors. Larry and Michelle do an absolutely great job plus it's 5 minutes from my house! Already can't wait until next year.

Last updated: 2009-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:20 | 547 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/86
Overall: 492/1121
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Straight out to a buoy, left turn and straight to the dock.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:57 | 11.5 miles | 19.74 mile/hr
Overall: 170/1121
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Flat with just a few rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:26:18 | 03.11 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Overall: 318/1121
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back through the park on a paved path.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-27 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2009-07-27 8:11 PM
in reply to: #2309820

User image

Regular
Marlboro, NJ
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Great job! Good overall time! Since I was one of those guys at the right blue buoy to begin who sprinted out at the word "go", maybe you can teach me to hang back a little so I can pace myself a little better like you did! Know the feeling of those "little uphills" during the run as those hit me the hardest during the whole event.
2009-07-27 8:18 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

nice race!! you did great! 19 miles per hour on the bike is awesome! and 8 min miles! you rocked it! bet your dad really enjoyed seeing you in action! KIU!!!!

2009-07-28 7:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Bucks County
I was one of the guys that was stuck behind the fcuking red ford f250 pickup for 2 miles on Old Trenton Rd. I was on pace to finish at 29-30 minutes and that backup cost me.

Good race.
2009-07-28 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
GREAT race!!!! You did sooooo well in the swim! Kudos for you!!
2009-07-28 7:34 PM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Bob, I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am that you finally had an AWESOME OWS!!! and you did GREAT overall...You rock big guy!

2009-07-29 8:39 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Great Race!!!  I would definitely round the bike speed to 20 mph.  Sounds like the swim went well too. Congrats!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed