General Discussion Race Reports! » Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon at Craig Ranch Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon at Craig Ranch - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McKinney, Texas
United States
Playtri
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 00m 16s
Overall Rank = 13/388
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/41
Pre-race routine:

The usual. Shower, dressed, bar, FB. Got the bikes and bags loaded then went for gas and donuts for the kids. Arrived at the perfect time. No lines for anything. Got transition set up, then decided to flip my bike around to point the other direction after remembering where bike out was.

Hit the portpotty since there was no wait, then talked to Shan a bit before warming up.
Event warmup:

Headed out for a warmup mile and when I got back Brigid wanted to go for a jog, claiming to be nervous. So I ran 3 minutes with her. After that I walked around a bit chatting with the frat. Took a lot of flack from everyone because I had apparently put down a stupid slow swim time and was seeded 97th. Hmm...we'll see about that.

Got my shoes off, goggles on and did a 300 WU. Worked a lot on my turns since my last pool swim they were awful.
Swim
  • 05m 46s
  • 350 meters
  • 01m 39s / 100 meters
Comments:

Well, maybe my swim time was a bit off. Seeded 97, finished 20th. Passed 4 in the first 50. Then came my nemesis - turns. My last pool swim my turns were awful. I had worked on this a lot and it helped. I did flip turns for the left side, open turns for the right. Much better than Caveman.

Continued passing people each 50. Saw Lee up ahead at 150 and accidently pushed of the wall right into his crotch. Oops. He thanked me by staying right on my feet for the next 100. The last 50 was epic. The lane was triple the width of the others so it was just a mad sprint to the ladder. As usual, I hit the ladder right when someone else did. While he slowly climbed up, I stopped short and jumped out. Only saved me a second or two, but hey, it's a race.
What would you do differently?:

Change my seeding.

Otherwise it was good. Last year I did 6:07. I'll take a 22 second improvement.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

One of my better T1s. I was on the far end so had a longer run to the bike. Actually managed to jump on my bike and not rack myself. Not sure where that came from. The hard part was getting clipped in. Need to practice this or practice leaving them on.

Practice
Bike
  • 32m 40s
  • 12 miles
  • 22.04 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a mental checklist of folks to find after the swim so I hammered. Wanted to see if I could catch any of them on the bike or if I had to wait for the run. I ride this course every week so no surprises. Rode it just like a planned. Hard. Cut every corner and stood every hill. This was fun.

Didn't quite catch anybody, but I sure did pass a lot. Got passed by 1 guy. 111. Hmm...gotta find him later. I told myself to relax and keep hammering and I would keep making up ground.

2nd lap I see a bike on the side of the road and it's Eduardo. Not good. He had crashed going around a curve and was in bad shape. Into the neighborhood and I'm passing a lot more people on their first loop. Saw Sean out on his first loop pedaling away. One more hill, turnaround, one more hill, down the hill, S curve, turn, home.

Nothing. I didn't feel great but I was about a minute faster than last year with the same average HR. I'll take that.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Helmet got stuck. For some reason I had trouble unbuckling the chin strap. Ended up just loosening it and yanking it off.

Practice
Run
  • 19m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to hammer this. Hard. The first mile was a dead sprint up the hill, where I passed Sarah, Jacque, Lorenzo, John, and Russell from the frat. Body was not happy. Felt on the verge of puking the first mile, I knew I was doing something right. Oh look, 111. Passed him up to get my revenge.

2nd mile was slower but decent, didn't pass many folks but I did pass Stacey and joked with her a bit as I went by. Hit the track and felt good. Shady and soft. Passed a few folks on this part. I hate going past the finish line knowing you still have a mile to go. Oh well, suck it.

Uphill for the first half mile hurt, but I knew there was a good payoff the last half mile. Caught Iron Dave at the bottom of the hill with about a 1/4 mile to go. He said mine was the highest number he had seen pass him by far. That was good.

Made the turn for home and could hear the frat yelling for me. Didn't die at the end like last year. I actually had some juice left. Nobody passed me at all, but I passed a ton and I had cracked 20 again. Mission accomplished.

Nothing. Dropped about 45 seconds from last year's run.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, water, water, and more water. I was thirsty. Then I got my nasty sweaty top off and got some flip flops waiting for everyone else to finish.

Kept going over to the prelim results and I was 3rd for the longest time. Then the last time I went somebody had jumped up to 2nd, pushing me down to 4th. I was a bit down after that, and since Shan had gotten 4th in her AG, we left before the awards. Guess I should have looked at the dude's splits who came out of nowhere. I would have noticed his amazing 42 mph bike average. Unlike other jokers who put on races in this area, they actually checked the results before announcing him and DQd him for only doing one loop on the bike.

Looking at the results now, I got 3rd by 1 second over the guy in 4th. I guess it's a good thing I didn't wait for the ladder. Ended up dropping over 2 1/2 minutes from last year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

2nd year for this race and it rocked again. It's nice to do a race where they care about getting things right.

Last updated: 2009-03-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:46 | 350 meters | 01m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/41
Overall: 20/388
Performance: Good
Suit: LG tri top and shorts
Course: Serpentine swim with 1 way 50m lanes
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:32:40 | 12 miles | 22.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/41
Overall: 27/388
Min HR: 165 Avg HR: 174 Max HR: 181
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops with 2 turnarounds. Deceptively fast course. Just hard to get any momentum going bofore the next turn or turnaround.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:19:36 | 03.11 miles | 06m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/41
Overall: 10/388
Min HR: 177 Avg HR: 182 Max HR: 187
Course: Somewhat hilly route. First mile was uphill through a neighborhood, second mile on a wonderful shaded trail with a soft track material, then pretty much a downhill 3rd mile finishing on the same track stuff. Hard but fast course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-27 10:34 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon at Craig Ranch

2009-07-27 4:59 PM
in reply to: #2310005

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon at Craig Ranch
GREAT JOB getting 3rd in your age group! Awesome that you hopped out of the pool like that!

Nice to see you FLY by me on the run.

2009-07-27 8:23 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

NICE RACE!! way to get hardware! hoping that racer #111 was not in first or second! (the one that passed you!) KIU!!!!

hoping Eduardo is ok! I met him at the IMAZ when he was there helping my brother become an IM...do you know if he is ok?

2009-07-27 11:11 PM

User image

Nice race, especially the run. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon at Craig Ranch Rss Feed